main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rewriting the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by swrescripted, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Zing! lol

Lucas will probably come out with a new SE of ESB where the ghost of Obi-Wan says: "You will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who.... well, who knew Master who instructed me."

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  2. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    You could never make Anakin older than he is.

All the tragedy stemming from his attachment to Padme stems from being taken from his mother when he was too young. If he were older...the entire tragedy wouldn't have happened. GL spells this out in some movie commentary and it is solid thinking. Also, I know people were bored by some of the political stuff, but it's realistic and the way things really work. GL was trying to make some points about truths of human nature. I just wish he could have written and directed as well as he envisioned special effects.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There is not enough politics in the PT to be boring. There is only what is required to move the plot forward. If you really want to be bored by politics, check out certain EU books and other franchises...

4. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I disagree, I don’t think it’s necessary to actually see Anakin leave his mother to understand the pain of such separation. If an older Anakin was introduced in TPM, you could have a scene in which Anakin’s past is discussed and in which his anguish over being separated from his mother at a young age and his determination to find and free her is clearly expressed. All it would take is some decent writing, some decent acting, and a bit of imagination on the viewer’s part.

But if you still prefer to show it visually it could easily be done as a dream or a flashback.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    There are multiple ways you can have Anakin feel the loss of his mother without actually showing it.

Lets say that when Obi-Wan and the Queen are stranded on Tattooine, they are attacked by Bount Hunters/Smugglers(whatever). Anakin using the force helps Obi-Wan defeat them, and afterwards convinces them to come home with him. That home being the Lars family homested. There Obi-Wan learns more about Anakin, the death of his mother, how he came to be taken in by the Lars family, how he became so adapt at using the force, etc. Here they strike their bond, and although Obi-Wan sees danger in training attack because of his troubled past, he decides to anyway. Which goes along with the recklessness of Obi-Wan.

and Anakin can be much older here too. Ranging from 14 to 18 if necessary.

6. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I guess they made General Grievous out of Sifo Dyas after Dukoo shredded him. This was in one of the books.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Visionaries- which is possibly Infinities and non-canon- it's left ambiguous.

That said I think there's a Maul story in that, which was the basis of the look for TCW Maul.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I love the prequels, they're fun films. My only complaint has always been that it's a far cleaner, far more sleek set of films. And I simply attribute that to its time period and I respect Lucas' desire to have these films stand uniquely on their own. I love them all the same. No need for rewrites here. It's all Star Wars to me.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Who goes by Ben, after becoming a Master... so Tatooine can really be a great place to hide.:p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. LLL

Jul 16, 2000

Nah.

One rule of good writing: You never, never, never, never summarize your most important scenes.

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  11. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    That depends, doesn't it, on how important a scene really is for the overall story? I don't have to see Anakin saying goodbye to his mother to understand the pain of such separation or the tragedy of having her die in Anakin's arms when they are finally reunited. So to me it's not very important – and should certainly not be the determining factor when writing the script.

12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I would just hire a better writer and possibly a better director for I and II. III only would need minor changes. I love the story of the prequels and loathe the writing of the first two. I don't mean the clunky dialogue, I mean the substitution of explanation for dramatic action. I feel like the prequel story is a classic that was stymied by explanation. Understanding what's going on is the exact opposite of engagement in the story. As it stands, the first two are more explanations than movies. That's why they seem dull and labored.

13. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Well, I don't know...it's just the whole psychological underpinning of everything the character does that causes him to end up a cripple and plunge the whole galaxy under the domination of a Sith lord...Ehh. *shrugs* Whatever.

Andy Wylde and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  14. Jedi Master Thon

Jedi Master Thon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2013
    This is something which I actually wanted to do. Do you mean in an Infinities sense, or simply rewriting the lines? I tried in Infinities sense, with the "what if" questions:

Episode 1: What if Darth Maul had defeated Qui-Gon on Tatooine?
    Episode 2: What if the clone troopers had arrived too late?
    Episode 3: What if Darth Vader had defeated Obi-Wan?

Any suggestions?

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    We got to see the immediate result of your Episode 3 what if in the ROTS video game alternate ending/

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    That's where I was coming from, but what would be the later results. That of the three I listed would be the most drastic, no Obi-Wan would mean that Luke and Leia wouldn't be given up for "adoption", possibly putting them right in the hands of the Sith. Thus, Episodes IV-VI would have never happened, the outcome of Galactic history would be changed irreversably.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    A few other things that people have not suggested but I will put forward

1) Have a line of dialogue that actually explains to the audience what the Sith are, why they have been extinct for a mellenia and why the want revenge ?

2) Explore and use the Anakin/slavery angle and his desire to help free them, Have his disillusion and detachment with the Jedi begin over the fact they do not or cannot seem to do anything about freeing slaves. Have Palpatine give him the army and means to do it strengthening there bond and further his belief that the Republic is no longer working and why an Empire would be necessary to help people.

3) Have the Clone War a few years longer and be the Galaxies version of World War 1 with Billions of people conscripted to fight and die, rather than just a fight between Robots and Clones.

4) Have the Jedi and the good guys lose or losing the Clone War but which is won by Anakin using the Darkside. The tragedy being that he saves the galaxy from a great evil but loses his soul in the process and becomes what he was fighting. Gives more meaning to Vaders line to Luke about using the Darkside as the only way to save his friends.

5) Re-do the Temple scene so it's not just Anakin butchering children but actually fighting and killing Jedi Knights to show how powerful he is.

6) Do not have Palpatine and Yoda use Lightsabers, They should be so powerful and above that sort of thing. And have force lightning as a mere tool among many in Palpatine's arsenal rather than his only tool because he achieved level 12 Sith status

7) Have Obi-wan try and turn Anakin good again, So Vaders line to Luke about Obi-wan thinking like him actually makes sense.

8) Include the scenes that were cut of Padme helping set up the rebellion and have her a strong tragic figure who is witnessing the loss of her husband and children from her but who is strong enough mentally anyway to help rather than just stand around talking about fixing up the babies room.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I doubt Luke and Leia would have even survived. Without Obi Wan, Padme would never have gotten off planet, and she most likely would have died right there and taken the babies with her.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    That makes sense. I didn't think of that. More drastic than I accounted for.

20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I think there's a lot of good ideas in here. There's a great core storyline in the PT, but I feel could definitely use some tweaking to better sell those plot points, characters, motivations, and emotional resonances. Here's mine; just making a few basic points. Its pretty fandom based so don't kill me. haha

TPM:
    1. Qui-gon and Obi-wan work together, as Jedi partners. Obi is already a Knight. We'd have two Jedi friends on some investigation, like the killing of Jedi Sifo-dias. But it is clear to the audience that Obi is the main character, our PT hero that we follow.

2. They pick up the trail of Maul, who they don't know is a Sith yet, and they follow him to Alderaan. Alderaan stands in for Naboo so that when it blows up in ANH we care even more deeply about it. Here, Maul assassinates the King/Queen. As their dying wish, they ask the Jedi to protect their only daughter, Padme, who's about 16.

3. Yoda instructs them to return immediately. Fear is sweeping thru Coruscant upon the news of the assassinations. On the way to Coruscant, the ship brakes down and has to land on Tattooine.

4. Here Obi discovers Anakin, who's about 14. He's a bit rough around the edges, still a slave and living with his mom. They immediately sense the force is strong with him. He's brash and strong, but courageous and perhaps he's part of some sort of secret slave resistance. Like him and his friends plan strikes on the slave masters. He leads the Jedi to find the parts they need in exchange for their help.

5. Maul shows up and attacks. Anakin's mom is killed in the attack and Anakin lashes out and uses his natural ability in the force - even with no training. Obi-wan sees his anger first hand but is amazed by the skill with the force. He tells him to leave this place forever. Asks him to join him back to the Jedi Temple. He begins to inquire Anakin about his special powers. Anakin wants to join the Jedi. He feels it's his destiny.

6. On Coruscant, the Jedi meet to discuss the news. The council agree to see Anakin and allow Obi-wan to take his first apprentice. They feel they have no choice, with the return of the Sith, they feel that Anakin would be taken in as one of their own and trained.

7. During a Senate session, the chancellor is assassinated by Maul. Chaos erupts. The Jedi find him and fight. He kills Qui-gon, and Obi-wan then "kills" Maul. He then promises to teach Anakin and the two form a real friendship through adventure. Padme and Anakin also bond over the loss of their parents..and feel like soulmates in a way.

8. With the jedi murder and the multiple assassinations, the Senate calls for a security force to be commissioned. Senator Palpatine is made the new Chancellor. No one wants the job..No one thinks he'll live long enough to have any power.

AotC:
    1. The Clones are ordered and slowly their over shadowing presence is felt. Systems across the galaxy rebel against the coming changes. The Jedi are charged with leading the clone troopers in keeping the galactic union.

2. In the first act a major battle takes place, and Anakin, who's now 20ish, and Obi-wan save the day once again. Anakin is awarded Knight status, but suddenly has a change of heart. He doesn't like the way the Jedi Order is progressing and asks the council for a leave. They deny it, but he and Padme go to Tattooine regardless and find his cousins, the Lars. He just wants a simple life, or perhaps even try to free the slaves there, and for the duration of the movie falls in love with Padme and makes plans for a small lifestyle.

2. Obi (and us) is crushed and doesn't understand his friend’s choice. He's ordered to lead the clones and some far off world and a battle takes place. Here Maul returns with cybernetics replacements. This allows the characters, and us, to realize that the technology exists for surprise returns.

3. The Republic declares war against the Separatists. The Jedi begin plans for war and by the end of the movie Obi-wan needs the help of his old friend. He convinces Anakin to join him again and Anakin agrees. Perhaps Padme, who might even be a Senator, goes along. Owen Lars sees this as going off on some damn idealistic crusade.

4. Anakin and Obi fight in a major battle and become heroes of the Republic. Anakin is seen as a superstar Jedi. Jedi Knights look up to him. The citizens see him as a savior. This starts to go to his head a bit. Palpatine begins to subtly warp his mind with flattery.

5. Movie ends with many more clones being commissioned. Anakin and Obi-wan part ways. Anakin returns to Tattooine to see Padme, where they get married.

RotS
    1. Anakin and Obi are in a space dogfight. They save the kidnaped Chancellor, but here Anakin kills Maul. It's revenge for the death of his Mother.

2. Anakin is increasingly angry and proud. We see his friendship with Palpatine more and more. Obi tries to mentor his friend but there is change in Anakin. He feels he's more powerful than all the other Jedi, he refuses to take orders.

3. Padme reveals that's she's pregnant. Anakin has been having dreams of this moment and fears her safety.

4. In the last act, Palpatine secretly orchestrates a situation where Obi and Padme is in a dire situation...to lure Anakin into saving them. During this event, Padme is killed. When Anakin finds out he blows up. He blames himself, but hates Obi-wan for not protecting her. He's tired of the Jedi and with some prodding by Palpatine, whom he sees as powerful, begins to see things differently. Secretly though, her children are saved by Organa and Yoda.

5. Palpatine seduces Anakin, telling him how it is the Jedi who are evil. He reveals that he is the Sith lord and wants him to join him. He offers to complete his real training. Anakin's mind is completely twisted. With the loss of Padme, he feels his soul is gone anyways. We could still have a scene similar to how Mace tried to arrest Palpatine, but here Anakin decides to protect the Chancellor. He leads clones against the Jedi temple and fights the Jedi. The Purge has begun.

6. As the temple burns, Obi-wan shows up and the two fight in the temple. He tries to save his mind...but it's too late. The fight ends up in the lower bowels of the temple, deep underground where lava flows. Anakin looses in much the same way. Palpatine turns him into Vader and then declares himself Emperor. Montage of storm troopers arriving on vast worlds.

7. Obi, Organa and yoda, with the children flee. They arrive on Degobah and make plans for the next phase. Obi takes Luke back to Tatooine. Organa take Leia.

8. Movie ends with a scene of Vader, with ignited red lightsaber, leading storm troopers on some distant planet, taking down stray Jedi Knights.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    There's a thread for re-writing the Original Trilogy. And now we have God knows how many threads for re-writing the Prequel Trilogy. Granted, neither trilogy is perfect. But I do get tired of these threads. I really do. For some reason, many fans believe they can do a better job than George Lucas. And I have yet to find someone who can. Even after reading this thread. But what else can I do but complain? People are going to post them on this board over and over and over again. Until the end of time, I suspect. I could stop posting complaints about them. Then again, people could stop posting rewriting this or that trilogy. And since no one will probably stop posting these kind of threads, I guess I won't stop complaining about them.

22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Another option is to ignore them. Seriously, no one is doing anything wrong by fantasizing about this. Just skip the thread. Pretty simple.

23. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    If Padme had died an Anakin without the suit would have gotten enraged and with no Obi-Wan/Jedi to blame he would most likely have taken out his anger on Palpatine and tried to kill him. If he succeded then he would try and rule the empire.
    But without Palpatines political savy and connections, the senate would quickly turn on him and the rebellion would grow much quicker and it is likely that Anakin would have been overthrown.

If Anakin didn't try to take our his grief and anger on Palpatine I think that he still would have made his move to get rid off Palpatine sooner or later, probably sooner knowing how impatient Anakin is.

If Anakin fails then Palpatine would kill him and then Palpatine would have to look around for a new apprentice.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

24. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    You could also have an older Anakin, say 15-18, and see him leave his mother. The separation isn't that much about Anakin missing his mother, but that would still play a part, but rather that he worries about her and an older Anakin might be in the position that he in some ways takes care of his mother. So he leaves but he still worries that she is a slave and all that.
    Then she is killed in the next film and Anakin blames himself, that he should have been able to protect her but he failed.
    This then sets up his desire not to fail with Padme and you go from there.

The young Anakin in TPM has problems but I can see why Lucas made the choice.
    One problem is that how you put a young kid together with a group of adults and make his presence seem natural.
    Him being on Naboo and involved in the battle makes little sense. Why would Qui-Gon bring him along when there was every chance that he could get killed? Leaving the "chosen one" bit aside, Qui-Go takes a small boy into a war zone and neither he nor anyone else comments on this. Only inside the palace does Qui-Gon tell Anakin to stay in the cockpit and that he would be safe there. Wouldn't he be safer on Coruscant or back at the Gungan hideout?

The young Anakin also meant that the role had to be recast which I again understand but I also think it had problems as AotC basically had to re-introduce Anakin Skywalker.

Lastly, the problem was also that many important character relationships were not developed much in TPM, like Anakin -Obi-Wan and Anakin - Padme. They met but not much more happened. This forced AotC to rush things in my view.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

whostheBossk and FARK2005 like this.
  25. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    I don't remember where, but on a action figure customs forum I found someone who rewrote the prequels to his own accord, and made customs to go along with it. If I find it I'll update this post. HINT: The Republic uses battle droids, and Jango Fett has brothers.