main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unbowed.Unbent.Unbroken

Unbowed.Unbent.Unbroken Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    -I think KOTOR II is a better game than its predecesor, and the Exile a much better character than Revan.

-I think that by the end of the Legacy series Krayt was at least as strong as Sidious.

Zorrixor and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    None of the EU characters are really that great except for a few.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The Bane trilogy was terrible.

4. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Not sure how unpopular they are, but whatever:

Betrayal, Bloodlines and Sacrifice were really, really good stories.

Characters from the movies should be cameos and name drops post HoT.

Leia should have never started Jedi training,

Boba Fett should have never escaped the mighty Sarlacc.

Mandalorians shouldn't be anything more than the name of really cool looking sets of old armour post-The Mandalorian Wars.

Revan and the Exile work better as females.

The Core Worlds should be featured less.

It's perfectly fine to suggest that Darth XXXXX or Jedi YYYYY may have been better at ZZZZZ than Darth Sidious or Luke Skywalker.

TCW!Anakin is the guy Obi-Wan was talking about in A New .

The actual story of the Prequels deserved a much better execution than what it received onscreen.

Joe Antonetti and fett 4 like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Betrayal and Bloodlines are amazing. BL is Traviss' best book.
    The movie characters post NJO should be cameos and name drops.

6. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    The Karen Traviss Mando/clone stories were trillions of times more interesting than anyting in TCW.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    WOTC mentioned some Executor ships getting used as fighter carriers.

8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Bloodlines and Sacrifice were defiantly amazing. Betrayal was just meh.

9. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is the weakest Stover novel. And I'm not sure it's close.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think most people not just EU fans agree with this

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I like Star Wars.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

13. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well I've never played the games either so it was my introduction to the Old Republic. Is there any books that follow on from Revan? It ended in a cliffhanger.

Also I liked some of the senate episodes in the Clone Wars. I loved the Senate Murders episode.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not that I know of- I think the TOR game is supposed to be the follow up- with the TOR Encyclopedia providing most of the basic game details.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I actually think that was the point. The prequels suffered from telling too much story in too little time and therefore spent a lot of time on Whiny!Angsty!Anakin because it had to show his falling to the Dark Side. TCW has more time to show his cheerful, fun side. I don't dislike PT!Anakin but TCW!Anakin is certainly more enjoyable. And his friendship with Obi-Wan is shown better as well.

I haven't played the games either and Fatal Alliance has been my intro to the Old Republic. According to the Star Wars Books app that I have, Annihilation follows Revan; Fatal Alliance and Deceived precede it. I haven't read either of those so I don't know the context.

16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Let's see:

I like Callista with Luke better than I do Mara.

Children of the Jedi was a great novel.

I don't think the Dark Nest Trilogy is complete garbage (Mind you I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread either)

The Ben/Vestara relationship was boring and handled awfully.

Dark Empire isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

In terms of that entire spiel Mara gave to Luke during the Hand of Thrawn Duology (Don't have my copy of either book on me) I didn't agree with most of it.

Cade Skywalker is a decent and interesting character.

Jaina Solo is rather annoying and has been uninteresting for a very long time. Lot of wasted potential in the character.

I think Fatal Alliance was a good, solid read.

I think that Galen Marek was interesting, but Starkiller wasn't.

The books shouldn't be so tied to the movies or TCW.

TCW Anakin Skywalker is one of the best things to ever happen to the character. For a long time he was referred to as a good man, and Obi-Wan's friend and such. They were like brothers, and it was never really shown why. If you read materials before TCW it seemed like every other adventure he was committing some kind of Dark Side act, without ever really doing good things to counter balance it. He was more dark than light, not the good man Obi-Wan and Padme talked about. TCW completely changed that and the character's much better for it, and therefore his story is fuller I think. His entire progression from that little boy on Tattooine to that black clad man on the Death Star is now much more tragic, as he wasn't always some whiny, selfish brat covered in darkness. He had his light aspects, was a genuinely good person, but he lost them due to a culmination of things coming together at certain points in his life.

SiouxFan likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    These three four in particular stand out as stuff I agree with.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't know this was an unpopular opinion. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book now and I really like it. I think Eldon Ax is an excellent character and she makes me want to see more female Sith.

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I haven't seen it discussed much actually, but when it is i've never really seen anyone say anything good about it so I just assumed it was. I liked pretty much every character that appeared in the novel, and thing that they should all appear again and could even support their own novels as starring characters.

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It's the best of that era imo.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Isn't this a fairly popular opinion? I thought my view that the Clone Wars Anakin is pretty lame compared to the prequel trilogy version was the unpopular one.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's pretty divisive- strongly popular with some fans, strongly unpopular with others.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Basically any positive opinion of Anakin is an unpopular one. :p

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Without getting into a huge prequel debate, I think it would have been better in TPM if Lucas had not changed it from Obi-wan to Qui-gon who discovered Anakin and wanted to train him and the develop their bond. That and making him 9. They could have had him 15/16 with Padme as 20/21 and it still would have worked, and also been able to use the same actor for the second film.

25. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I don't even think an age-up would be necessary. There are plenty of movies with middle schooler protagonists that work pretty well (the Goonies is one of my favorite movies EVER), you just need a good actor and direction that places the kid as the central viewpoint character. It helps that movies often use older actors to play younger characters. It always seemed weird to me that they chose 18 year old Portman for a 14 year old character but they couldn't do the same fudging for Anakin.

But... uh, unpopular opinions.

The New Jedi Order is every bit as flawed as the Old one was, for entirely different reasons.

Jedi shouldn't need to be uber powerful to be great Jedi.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is the biggest dope of a Jedi ever. The sheer amount of blundering he's does throughout the movies makes Jar Jar superfluous.

The galaxy should have fractured into about a dozen territories and nations at some point after Endor. The idea of a centralized galaxy-wide government should have breathed it's laster after the Vong war at the very latest.

Star Wars has some of the dopiest sci-fi swear words I've ever seen.

SiouxFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.