main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.16 - Lawless - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 30, 2013.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Sith code is more like guidelines than actual rules.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Has it crossed anyone's mind that Bo and Santine could be half-sisters?

V-2 likes this.
  3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    This was the greatest episode of TCW for me, right next to Carnage of Krell and Rookies.
    - Korkie getting the living p*ss beaten out of him, wonder if he survives.
    - Haven't heard from Ki-Adi in a few seasons, Yoda's new model also looks great.
    - Twilight is a wreck, no wonder Anakin hasn't used it since Season 1.
    - You can tell this episode is cut, there was a scene that Anakin said 'Going to rescue your girlfriend master?' when Obi-Wan asks for the Twilight.
    - The Twilight getting shot down was one of the few times my heart actually pumped during this show, the sense of danger was incredible.
    - Satine's death.. incredibly well done. Obi-Wan and Maul have a heated argument about the Dark Side, I love how Maul tells Obi-Wan he should have chosen the Dark Side, and Obi-Wan pretty much verbally destroys him by saying the only the weak embrace the dark side. One of the best scenes in the series. "Remember Obi-Wan, I always loved you.. always." I really felt for Obi-Wan. First Qui-Gon, and then the love of his life.. all taken by Maul. I'd want to effing gut Maul in that case. That really is the difference between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin would have killed everyone in the room if that was Padme, Obi-Wan accepted it without anger, without course for revenge.
    - 'Prepare my shuttle' - Palpatine
    - 'I sense a presence I have not felt since.. master!' and then Sidious strides into the room.
    - The lightsaber fight between Sidious, Maul and Savage is the best in the series. I'm impressed they actually managed to get a few whacks at Sidious, but once Sidious gets Savage by himself, completely destroys him.
    - I almost feel bad for Maul, Savage's death was well done. "Remember the first and only reality of the Sith.. there can only be two and you are no longer my apprentice."
    - Maul uses the dark saber and his saber against Sidious, only to have them ripped from his hands and tortured with force lightning.
    - "mercy, mercy please I beg you", this is the scene I knew some of you wouldn't like..well I thought it was great. In Brothers, what insane-Maul actually said was 'mercy, mercy please master. Mercy is a lie', he was reciting what Sidious drummed into him. Maul has known nothing but cruelty, he is a badly abused pitbull in the end, nothing more than a mere assassin.
    - "don't worry, I won't kill you, I still have some small use for you." - episode ends. Rather abrupt, it left me wanting more. I guess onward to Season 6.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    DUUUUUUUUUDE!

That was awesome! Ian Abercrombie went out on probably the most deliciously evil note he could have! Farewell, ye boss of bosses, we'll miss you!

Maul got his revenge in a heartbreaking fashion, and I still like how he seems to be trying to turn Kenobi to the Dark Side. Especially since he probably remembers Kenobi's dark side from that first fight they had.

I actually did not see the Katan-Kryze connection coming. And Obi-Wan's line about the Republic coming as an invasion fleet opens up dozens of possibilities....

And the fight...

AWEESOOOOME!!!

This was easily the best fight of the series, and each part of it was awesome, from the initial fight in the throne room to Sidious pulling them both out the window with him, to Maul again displaying some actual affection for Savage and entering a tranquil fury state in the following duel-wielding fight was a nice touch!

And it does look like Mandalore will continue to be a factor in future stories.

As will Maul.

Me likely!

5. ninjaofthenight801

ninjaofthenight801 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 19, 2011
    The parallel to TPM during the duel was quite interesting. Maul was watching from afar as the apprentice fought the master once again, and you could tell how hopeless of a situation Savage was in this time. And after he was stabbed, Maul ran over and had some last minute words with him. It was a nice nod to the Obi-wan/Qui-Gon relationship.

6. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    I thought there was a much greater parallel to Satine's death and Qui-Gon's death. Obi-Wan watched helplessly as Maul impaled Satine, just as Obi-Wan watched helplessly as Maul impaled Qui-Gon.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    this Episode had so many references from a new hope. and man the way they ended it, i got a feeling there will be another major maul arc in season 6.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Wow! I think this was the best episode I've seen in this series. I loved how Sidious just showed up like that. The guy is bad-ass, and seeing for the second time how he can take on Jedi and Sith like he does, it just reinforces the dude's place as the ultimate villain in Star Wars. I can now see why this Dark Lord would be feared by the Jedi Council.

My theory (from way back, mind you) might happen after all, and that would be Maul being carbon frozen and kept away in Sid's secret hideout on Coruscant. Maybe he might be the main villain in the ST. And for some reason I imagine this is how Ashoka will disappear, too; that she will follow Sidious to this secret place and be discovered by the Dark Lord and kept also in carbon freeze.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I had a whole rant typed up but it was getting increasingly incoherent, so I'll just use the tag line:

WHAT THE **** WAS THAT?!?!

First off, way too many ANH references. Please stop at one per episode, or preferably none at all.

Way too rushed, stupid tacked on "I'm Satine's sister lol," is everyone in this galaxy related or something? Maul decides not to kill Kenobi but to lock him up in jail (which is so secure seeing as Satine's just been busted out of there twice now) - I know you can't kill him off but come on, that was stupid, killing Kenobi is literally all Maul lives for now. Bo even says "Maul must really want you dead lol" later in the episode. WHAT THE ****!?!?!?! You have no idea indeed. Further, there's no real explanation given to why there's such a huge battle going on between the rebels and Maul's guys, the way it's shown it's like they're going to war over Kenobi, which I doubt is the case. We didn't see any conflict at all going on outside of Bo busting high profile prisoners out of jail. If we were shown insurgent attacks to highlight the hostile situation on Mandalore, then I would have been able to buy it, but as is, it sucked. There's the big open blast door reveal, and that's about it.

The big duel was ruined by several big turn offs. First off, Maul is begging way too much. When I saw the preview, I expected a bit more dialogue to explain this, now I'm just enraged at how lame it was. He begs for his life at the end. Come on! How spineless and pathetic are you? Why did Sidious pick this guy? I guess having a brother made him uber soft. Man. And I really didn't like Sidious' line "oh don't worry I won't kill you, I have some use for you." Seemed a little ham-fisted. But whatever. I wasn't overly amazed by the fight itself. Randy's deathbed "I was never a bad guy like you" speech sounded equally lame. Although I was laughing over most of it, I thought his last word was genuinely going to be "brother..." like K'Kruhk said.

I really would have rather they killed off Maul too, this was crap and I suspect it won't be getting any better.

10. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    I do not want Maul in the ST. Not in the slightest. For intents of the movies, Maul died in TPM. He can stay and meet his fate in TCW.

11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Poor Obi-Wan can't catch a break. I also loved their Dark/Light Side argument, pretty interesting.

Maul isn't making it to the ST, he's going to be used and die sometime in the next seasons.

12. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    That duel was Fan freaking Tastic. I couldn't care less about the SatinexObi Wan thing going on.

Also I'm starting to think that everyone in the poster is gonna die. Cause they're just dropping like flies.

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    They really emphasized Maul's emotional vulnerability in this one that Filoni hinted to back at the very beginning of the season.

This episode was great, my only 10/10 this season.

[​IMG]

I still think Bo-Katan getting shoehorned in as Satine's sister was terribly forced and I anticipate that when the Republic comes back they are setting her up to be the new Duchess/Mandalore/both. That was the only blemish on the episode.

Loved Sidious. I'm sad that was Ian's last work in the role though :_| Right when he really shined as the character. Whoever does Sidious next has some big shoes to fill.

Filoni always made it sound like they were going to be really ginger when dealing with Palpatine/Sidious on account of the "kids" that see Palpatine as a good guy. But this episode made it explicit. I hope they won't shy away from showing them as being the same in the future. I'd be interested in seeing Palpatine being more overtly evil and showing how his schemes on the Republic side of things sync up with what Sidious is ordering Dooku to do.

And it finally put an end to the complaints about why Sidious went himself as opposed to sending Jedi or Dooku. He didn't want to kill Maul.

I'm still left scratching my head as to how they intend to tie this back to Talzin. I look forward to seeing how they handle that, presumably next season. Hopefully I won't have to sit through so many long boring arcs next season to get to the good stuff. This arc really showed that Lucas, Filoni and the crew can do amazing work when they really TRY.

I figure Obi-Wan's comments about weakness and Maul being given up against his will are going to hint at where his character goes next. Sidious might try to use him, but I'm guessing he'll fall back to Talzin for guidance (though they haven't formally met yet).

Only real down sides for me were Satine and Bo being sisters and Satine being "left hanging" for so long just made that scene come across a little more awkward than it should have been IMO, and the music didn't quite fit.

IMO it would have been better if he just killed her on the landing pad while Obi-Wan was dazed and helpless.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    So am I the only one who didn't think it was amazing? I was shouting at my screen the whole time.

15. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    The episode certainly had its flaws, IMHO; but that duel is the Luke Skywalker of television: it could redeem anything.

16. Darth_Cronos

Darth_Cronos Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2009
    Awesome episode!!! Thats the duel ive been waiting for! and i didnt get to see sidious' eyes the tint on my tv is lil darker than normal so it was cool his identity was still anonymous

but did anyone notice if he had sith eyes or normal eyes?

17. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    He had sith eyes. I could see he whole face almost perfectly on my tv.

18. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Bo and Satine sisters.
    [face_sick]

eukaryote and Esg like this.
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Because Savage died? I pretty much was braced for that. Even back when the clip first surfaced of Maul and Savage in a duel with Sidious, I knew that Savage had been made redundant and was more expendable than Maul. I don't think he should have been. If it were up to me, Maul would have trained Savage, been killed by Savage and then everything that Maul has done Savage would be doing instead, but with the decisions that the TCW crew made with Savage, I thought it was kind of predictable that he was going to die. When I read the spoiler that he was going to die, it didn't come as a surprise. I was more anxious that Maul was going to die, and I'm glad he wasn't killed. I may not have been wild about bringing Maul back, but I love what they've done with him and I would have been angry if they brought him back just to kill him off before accomplishing anything beyond exchanging taunts with Obi-Wan and killing Satine.

20. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    STOP USING LUKE's LINES PLEASE

Also by golly , Yoda's hair is really really thick and grey. And with a LeBron hairline.

Steps forward , crawls backward

WHAT THE **** now Bo used it!!!!!!!'

CT-867-5309 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    No, I was mostly unimpressed with the Maul stuff. I missed the first 10 minutes this morning. Came in right as Obi-Wan and Satine were getting caught.

22. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    NotFanboy: I'm sure you're not the only one, (universal acclaim does not exist for anything) but then again... there are days when I'm surprised you even enjoy much of anything from this show (Randy especially). It just... doesn't seem suited to your tastes.

Good episode. Fast paced as expected, but the story itself was actually fairly light so we avoided the issues of the previous 2 episodes as far as I'm concerned. I also highly suspect that we'll see an extended version. Only thing I didn't like was how they blatantly changed the final line from the book, but that may have been done in the book to intentionally throw us off. Or they changed their mind about bringing him back next season. Truth be told, I wanted Sids to kill him, but eh, Sids using him seems in character enough. Especially if it leads us back to Talzin. Seeing those two face off would be something truly grand.

Also, the book is still interesting because it expands on some things, like Satine's father being a Mandalorian clan leader, and some details on the mission Obi-wan and Qui-gon took with Satine. If you really enjoyed this 4 parter, check out the novelization. Most interesting was that the book DID cut down the fight. Either to intentionally leave out some surprises, or because it was based on an earlier script draft.

Finally, there was at least one cut scene with Obi-wan borrowing the Twilight and him and Anakin sharing a moment of kinship that was really nice. Anakin jokes with Obi-wan about rescuing his girlfriend again, but Obi just smiles this time. Deciding not to chastise Anakin about it for once. It did feel a tad out of place in terms of tone, so I can see why they cut it... but it was a great character scene between them, so I hope it's at least included in the DVD/BD set if not in an extended version of the show.

23. herp_derp

herp_derp Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2011
    I demand a gif for that fight. so ****ing good.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  24. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Satine's line about heroes from the trailer was cut as well or changed.

25. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Ask.. and ye shall receive.
    [​IMG]