main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Give him the Hat of K'krukh for good measure. Only then will he be complete.

2. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    This is some of the best Star Wars I've heard in a good while. Star Wars belongs in the cinema, and shouldn't be confined to only books and comics. It is a film, and that's where its heart is. I expect only the best. And only good for the EU can come from this. An opportunity to wash our pallets, as it were, of some, well, bad EU decisions. To each their own, but quite a bit of the post-ROTJ EU has been something of a train wreck for me. I love Zahn's work, who doesn't, but the rest has been barely digestible. A chance to keep Chewbacca alive, which I fully support, remove the crap with the Solo twins. The opportunities are endless.

If rumors are true, Ben Skywalker won't even exist, and that's great! For me, it's the best that could happen. Destroying most of the bad post-ROTJ EU, and an opportunity to rebuild it with hindsight on their many mistakes. I'm giddy as a schoolgirl!

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You're going to have to be more specific.

And which rumors would that be? It's one thing to support the idea, but it's another to pass around hearsay about it.

4. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Jacen's arc became a disaster for me, it felt so unnecessary, and it lacked any weight to it. Killing Mara Jade doesn't suddenly make the series.

Back from when Matthew Vaughn was attached, there was a rumor Chloe was being considered for Skywalker's only child. That removes Ben. It's all rumors, but I support the change. Thanks.

5. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    What change do you support? The change that is rumored to be happening due to the rumors?
    why would you support a rumor . . . it makes no sense

6. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I like the rumor of a female only child Skywalker, and I support that kind of change, since I'm not beholden to continuity. It may be a rumor, but it gets me excited. And it means my daughter will be able to follow a female leading Jedi. That's just cool ideas all around.

Sorry you were confused.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm thinking it might actually be best for the Sequel Trilogy to take place around 60-70 years after ROTJ... starring the generation that exists between Jag/Jaina and Roan, between Ben and Nat/Kol... when Luke, Han, and Leia would truly be the old guys, ready for one last adventure after a couple peaceful decades of retirement...

That way, if the movie people wanted to create and focus on their own Skywalker and Solo characters, such as starring a female Skywalker, it could be Luke's granddaughter. Doesn't overwrite any existing EU that way, and the movie people still get to create and shape their own characters. And it would still make sense for Luke, Leia, Han to appear if they want, but in a limited and supporting role.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As long as we're dishing rumors, I saw something today about Keri Russell, who did Felicity with JJ, hoping for a SW role. She'd be great as Jaina, I think, and age-appropriate for a post-FotJ plot, meaning less continuity problems. She's even the right height.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I refuse to read the post-NJO simply because of the depressing road they have taken.

10. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I know, it has been so downtrodden and depressing in the post-ROTJ landscape. I can't stand it. Give me a clean wipe any day. Apologies if those find that offensive.

To each their own, but I have to disagree. I don't really fancy her, and Jaina is the only good child to come out of the big families, that I'd rather have some unknown cast. But, in all honesty, I'd just rather they give Luke a female daughter instead, and find a new angle for the Solo children.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I still think it'd be very interesting to give the Skywalker's a Force sensitive child and a non-Force sensitive child. Perhaps a daughter that's a Force prodigy, and a son that grows up to be more like Han? Or would it be better reversed?

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    So, I heard this rumour, about a rumour, which supposedly was about something about a rumour to do with how this other rumour had said there would be this massive wormhole that would transport Han to this other planet and Luke's skull would end up turned to crystal and put in this temple by some natives.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I heard from a very reliable source that Waru will be the primary protagonist of the sequel trilogy.

kataja, Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  14. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I think that's a solid device for a story. But I do think it should a Skywalker daughter who's a force prodigy. Maybe I've been watching too much Legend of Korra, but I think there's more than enough material for her, and hopefully evolve into a more solid legacy character than what we unfortunately have now. I just can't see Luke with two kids, that's my only quarrel. It would be interesting, though.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    One kid and one adult?

Marrying Luke off a second time might be a bit iffy- as would revealing that he fathered a child on some random character and never looked back, though.

16. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    He wouldn't have to marry a second time, Mara doesn't have to die if the post-EU is obliterated and disney cherry picked the good from it. But, I never thought of it in that respect; a grown daughter just hitting her stride, a young, mischievous boy. Love it.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Ben's a bit old to be the young, mischievous boy now.

Hmm- maybe Callista or Akanah had a child and never told Luke?

18. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Then they would reverse age him, or remove him completely and create a new son. They don't have to hang on to anything.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True- but I'm sure there's fans of the FoTJ series that will be a bit upset if they change it.

Not very many such fans around, I suspect.

20. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Well, it's not anyone's property, it belongs to companies and a man's vision of his universe. The EU has been brilliant, but with VII coming, I don't see them trying to keep that continuity intact with all of its errors. The EU will more than likely become AU. If not, I'll be shocked, but I don't care as long as the film itself is good. I just believe this is a super opportunity to clean up the mess, remove all the awful. But, those opinions are all in the eyes of the beholder.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'll give you guys who believe in reboots this much: you've not lost your youthful optimism. ;)

Me though? I remember the day when Tony Blair promised things could only get better... yeah...

I have zero interest in watching the same train wreck twice. :p

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    There would be a really interesting dynamic between them. Naturally, the boy would end up feeling very jealous of the girl; who wouldn't be jealous of their sibling who can leap dozens of feet and move ships with their mind?

Just as an EU nod, perhaps call them Jacen and Jaina, to set up the idea that the events of the EU "happened", but in another reality. They'll be a different Jacen and Jaina, but still similar.

Reboots are very much a double edged sword, I agree. Sometimes they can indeed invigorate new life into a franchise, I feel, but other times it feels like treading the same ground. The Amazing Spider-Man movie was fine for what it was, but it definitely felt way too familiar to me.

Games are really getting into reboots as well. I'm actually quite excited for the Tomb Raider reboot. Devil May Cry rebooted this month. The Mortal Kombat reboot was the best thing to happen to the franchise in over a decade. A Resident Evil reboot is considered, which might very well be what the franchise needs. Of course, there's also the situation where a reboot feels something like a betrayal; I sympathize with the DC fans who are less than thrilled with the New 52.

So I would definitely agree with people that say reboots are getting too common, and are quickly becoming the "easy way out" for a franchise to get out of whatever ditch they made for themselves. But it could work for Star Wars, at least for the short term. Will they be able to set up an entire long-running second EU? I honestly hope not. But I think we'll get at least a few good movies out of it.

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Devil May Cry reboot had terrible writing on a game with decent game-play which reviews sucking it off even worse the LACWAC on TCW

24. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    How is the film a reboot with those events never happened on screen? The removal of the post-ROTJ EU is only a natural answer to the (very likely) possibility that Episode VII will obliterate that canon landscape, possibly rendering decades worth of story null and void. And it has nothing to do with wanting to reboot, rather it is well within the filmmakers rights to not be shackled by years of endless, sometimes clumsy, layers of canon that would only hinder storytelling potential, in my opinion.

So, while the post-ROTJ EU would be rebooted, it would only be out of necessity rather than LFL's desire to start over. They aren't starting over, there weren't any films after ROTJ. It's freedom. And that's exciting.

Death T likes this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I haven't played it, but I've never been a fan of Devil May Cry (though I remember really enjoying DMC3). Still, has DMC ever been a game series you play for its writing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.