main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
  3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I honestly barely see a resemblence. Yes they are both round roofed structures, but thats about it.

City of Gondar Ethiopia (ruins, specificly)[​IMG]

City of Gondor, middle earth [​IMG]

One letter off, agreed to be coincidence, no one makes a stink.

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, to be fair to those complaining about Jabba's Palace, the City of Gondor wasn't insinuating that any possible namesake was ruled by a giant obese slug that reveled in debauchery and hedonistic pleasures. :p

5. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    That is correct.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nonsense. The Hagia Sophia looks far better.

RC-1991, Zeta1127 and Gorefiend like this.
  7. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I suppose but I don't get how Jabba is in anyway Islamic, or reflecting the Islamic world. Last time i checked no humans ate live frogs whole, and nearly all human sociaties had dancing girls.

Personaly I love dancing girls (yes I know its wrong[face_pig] )

8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, big fat stupid sultans and belly dancers used to be the standard Arab cliche in Western depictions, so they might have convinced themselves he was a piss take or something.

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not to mention his base is in a desert.

10. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I would like to see more aliens in the EU, and it would be nice to have aliens in Episode VII, too. It seems to me that pretty much all the main characters of the books are humans, although there are exceptions.

11. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    The Whole planet is a desert, and Turkey is a...mediteranian? Frankly I know Turkey has lots of trees but not its particular environment

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's hilarious that Turkey would pick this fight with Lego instead of LFL, but I'll say this: it's one more argument against Lego's extensive brand licensing.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It’s not actually Turkey, but an interest group that represents some of the Turkish Minority living in Austria.

14. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Are we starting the betting pool for a whitewashed Boba Fett yet?

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Meh I'm not betting on it

16. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Honestly I would prefer that, in Boba's still hypothetical character movie, he spends 99% of his time with his helmet on, as that would be much truer to the character anyway.

Obviously it may be somewhat difficult to find a Maori actor who fits the age/build requirements for Fett, depending on when they set this movie (presumably some point during the Dark Times). Still, Fett does not identify with any nationality too strongly, so it's really just brown eyes and not pale complextion (and brown curly hair, if the character has hair, his later TCW portrayals have him with a shaved head).

Of course, it occurs to me that, assuming Fett would spend most of the movie with his hemet on, there's no reason why Temuera Morrison couldn't reprise the role, with his features simply reverse aged digitally ala Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I would like to think that between Daniel "Young Boba" Logan's continued involvement with the franchise—between his work in The Clone Wars and his vocal interest in reprising the role should the live-action series ever come to be—and Temuera "Older Boba" Morrison's continued popularity and engagement with the fandom, Boba Fett's real-world race won't be so easily subjected to change. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Contessa likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    We're talking about a character that has literally three different actors already - they could set it anytime in a 50-year period and have someone ready to go.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Speaking of the "middle" actor, I still don't understand why most of the clones aged into Morrison after only three years. Even at twice the normal rate, that seems rather... quick.

MORE EVIDENCE FOR THE TEN YEAR CLONE WARS THEORY HYPOTHESIS! [face_hypnotized]

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Concept art of Yalta Val looks interesting.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    He kinda looks like Bail.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's because one building was built by Romans, and the other... not :p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    As if Roman religion was less messed up then the Bomarr monks. :p

24. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    You know, you say that...but Lucas was able to find over four Maori actors that all looked like Temuera Morrison at various ages. These actors include Morrison himself, Bodie Taylor, Daniel Logan, and the first kid who was cast as Fett whose parents pulled him out because they wanted him to focus on his education. In addition to those four actors, the production very likely cast make up and lighting doubles who would have to closely resemble Boba and Jango in skin tone, height, and build (recruited in the area so most likely Maori, too), as well as extras to look like Jango during the clone factor scenes that primarily featured Bodie Taylor.

I would be highly skeptical if Disney failed to find any Maori or even just Pacific Islander actors to play this role since the movie business in New Zealand has boomed since the decade following Episode II. Also, the people may not see this film if we don't cast a famous white actor rules don't apply here--this is Star Wars. People already went to go see a film with a Maori Boba Fett and it wasn't earth shattering for them.

The role of Boba Fett in this new film is the first major tentpole movie lead role that has come up in years, if not decades, for actors of Maori descent. It will absolutely be screwed up if Disney drops the ball on this.

(Not an endorsement, but Cliff Curtis is probably one of the more high profile Maori actors in the US and he is 44 which is around post-sarlaac age, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Curtis)

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  25. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

Zeta1127 likes this.