main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.16 - Lawless - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 30, 2013.

1. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Korkie is not Bo-Katan's son, according to Filoni.

2. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Ah, good to have something pinned down. I'd better check his responses to the Google+ chat.

3. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm anxious for TFN's official review. Any word on when we'll get it?

4. Seanthings

Seanthings Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2012
    After a stressful 60 hour work week, that 22 minutes of Clone Wars just made it all worth it. I can't stop smiling

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Loved this episode, loved this arc.The look of glee on Maul's face when Obi mourns for the Mandalore lady was priceless.

Regarding why Sidious went himself, I think it's because he feared what information Maul might share with Dooku, the CIS or the GAR. I said in the last thread that Maul's scheme was a microcosm of Sid's master plan, it's not in Sidious's best interests to alert the Jedi (or anyone else) to Sith tactics.

I'd hoped that Maul had a trick up his sleeve, that in calling Sidous out he'd spring something unexpected, or that his plot had some greater significance than revenge against Kenobi, but I suppose revenge is all Maul's obsessed with after all.

I thought it odd that Maul had any sentiment for Savage; I half expected Maul to cut him down himself when Sidious walked in.

While I'm being supercritical, I thought the first rescue attempt was a bit superfluous.

Niggling objections aside, I still give this one about 250/10.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  6. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    Now that I think about it, maybe Maul's begging is more justified than I thought. Perhaps he suffers from crippling insecurity issues after losing his "dark sword and orbs".

Paging Dr. Freud...

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Great episode, though i don't know why Palpatine just didn't kill Maul.

Maul is to dangerous to be kept alive, after all he knows that Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same.

I hope maul dies in season 6 though, since he has to die sometime before ROTS happens.

8. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    This is...polarizing.

You've got a great arc which is supposed to be the MAIN EVENT of the season...and only dedicate three episodes to it when all the others get the full package (unless that first episode was supposed to be part of it, although it feels entirely disconnected from these three.)

-The most important thing is to flesh out and reestablish relationships and expand on these long-running characters. Cmon Filoni, we haven't seen Satine's arc since Season 2; not everyone's going to remember the perils she went through and character development. You did a good job with Vizsla though. We need an extra episode to reestablish those traits, so when she dies it makes it much more tragic.
    -Maul vs Obi-wan "battle" was not what I was expecting, hell they made Maul SYMPATHETIC. Holy crap!
    -I know Sidious is pragmatic and wants to cut the snake's head off ASAP, but I'd like to see the Two relationship explored with the extra episode, with Maul awkwardly introducing Savage and detailing his plans to help Sidious, all the while playing mind games with each other to see if they really want to backstab each other. Also Maul reaffirms his true loyalty to Savage, saying he'll "kill the entire galaxy" to save him or something touching.
    -And what about Satine's sister?! That's an interesting tidbit that doesn't go anywhere!

-TL;DR: It feels hollow because we haven't seen these characters struggles in literally years, doesn't explore significant relationships (Maul-Savage, Satine-Kenobi, Maul-Sidious), and the arc dedicates time mostly to advancing the plot, so the deaths feel more deflated than they should.

10/10 for execution I guess.

9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I guess there will be a Obi-Katan romance.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Generally for villains, begging is just as much of a ploy as it is sincere. They'll beg to spare themselves pain/death, but they're prepared to sucker punch the person as soon as mercy is shown.

Examples:

Green Goblin vs. Spider-Man
    Simba vs. Scar
    Hook vs. Peter Pan
    Frieza vs. Goku
    Gaston vs. The Beast

etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure if Sidious was foolish enough to show mercy, Maul would have tried to sucker punch him in some way. I don't think he was going to get up and give his master a big bear hug or show any kind of gratitude.

Sitara and KED12345 like this.
  11. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Obi-Wan switching between sisters? Has he no shame?

Kenobis_Babe and Sitara like this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He reunited with Satine months after Siri's death, so I won't be surprised. But it does not matter, I'm not gonna watch more TCW.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    TaradosGon Yeah, he looked for his weapons first... any word on the timeline placement for this arc? The only thing that can save this is if its close to ROTS. Otherwise, why bring him back to rule Mandalore for only fifteen minutes? Randy could have hunted Kenobi on behalf of his dead brother, took over Mandalore... right now, I don't see the point of Maul being revived.

14. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    So uncivilized.

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm sure Palpatine is going to keep Maul's lightsaber, since he still has use for Maul.

But what is going to happen to Savage's double bladed lightsaber, and the darksaber? Are those weapons just going to be left there? For some average joe to find?

I know from other EU sources, Palpatine enjoys having lightsabers of fallen victims (used a jedi's blade to fight Luke in Dark Empire), so i wonder if he will keep Savage's blade, and even the darksaber.

16. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    i'd love to see bo with the darksaber...

Bo-Katan and pronker like this.
  17. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    With Savage out of the picture, is it time for Maul to reassume his double-bladed saber-wielding? mantle?

Sitara likes this.
  18. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Just goes to show you the difference between Obi and Anakin. Had that Been Anakin watching Padme die, he would of killed people off left and right. Obi-Wan was back in action with his game face no more than 2 minutes later. He's a cold one that Obi-Wan.

The main fight was great. It wasn't Maul/Vizla great but it was up there. Savage went down to easy, I'm still a little ticked about that, but what ever. Maul held his ground in the lightsaber battle, but Sidious's force was too much for him. The pleading for mercy by Maul I could of done without, I mean it made Maul look like a freaking pussy. Should of gone out like a man.

Overall I'm glad Maul lived but not as another puppet for Sidious. The only good thing that could come from this is a potential Maul/Dooku face off. That would be good.

Sitara likes this.
  19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Satine's death is partly Obi Wan's fault, and people are pleased with his action?

20. Jerran Tankarri

Jerran Tankarri Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2013
    Such a great 'sode, but all I wanted after Maul killed Satine was to see Kenobi activate his lightsaber and attack Maul.

21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    How exactly is it Obi-Wan's fault? Maul and Savage were believed killed. Hence Obi-Wan's disbelief when he sees both of them show up on the landing pad. He felt it was an independent action taken by Death Watch, something that he could handle, and nothing Satine was able to get out in her message suggested any differently. Obi-Wan has no blame for Satine's death. It's like saying that if someone breaks into a house and kills someone that lives there that it's the victims' fault for not having better security.

Maul marches in, overthrows a pacifist regime, and then kills the ruler because he wants revenge for Obi-Wan cutting him in half a decade earlier, an injury that Obi-Wan had every reason to believe would have been fatal.

He handled her death exactly how a Jedi should, commendable even more so for the fact that he did have feelings for her.

V-2 likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    There is clearly more than Death Watch, and Maul brothers never attacked until Twilight crashed. How would it be different if there was Viszla and Bo-Katan? Obi Wan could handle them and their troops after crashed?
    Not to say in the deleted scene for time issue.

Why did he refuse Anakin's help when Satine's life was in great danger? If Anakin was there with them they would mostly make it.

Yes, he handled it well, right after his words enraged Maul and caused him to kill her right there.

23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Slowpokeking - you make a brave argument but there's no way Maul would let Satine live, knowing that they cared for each other. Maul sensed Kenobi's feelings for her and used her. Maul had set the trap for Kenobi. No amount of brown nosing at that point would have prevented her death.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Anakin got so upset about the possibility of Padme dying that he killed Padme. Imagine if someone had executed Padme right infront of him.. man, Anakin would have murdered an entire planets worth of people.

25. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Thinking back on this episode it does set up so much cool stuff for the future. The Republic invasion of Mandalore (The Battle of Mandalore!) and FINALLY something I've been waiting to see for DECADES an army of Jedi fighting an army of Mandalorian warriors during the Clone Wars just like we were told 30 years ago. If Mandalore aligns with the Separatists, combined with the Shadow Collective, this could set up the biggest battle in the Clone Wars, even bigger than anything shown in the films if they wanted to go there.

Plus the fact that the Deathwatch were calling Korkie and his crew Rebels, maybe we could see even more backstory to the Rebellion, it seems like Korkie and Lux might get along pretty well :)

V-2 likes this.