main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Redemption of Jar Jar Binks

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Buddha Fett, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Yeah, okay. Just hear me out!

If there's on character who needs (deserves, even) a sense of story-arc completion and redemption, it's our old pal Jar Jar Binks. Perhaps the most discussed and reviled heroes (used loosely, granted) from the PT. I'm wondering if he might somehow be re-introduced as a more wise, sedate, and integral part of the Saga so that we might get a little respect for the guy? For what it's worth, and his questionable presentation in the Prequels notwithstanding, he did serve a valuable purpose in TPM. He got the Jedi into Theed, enabling them to rescue Padme and get her to Coruscant. Then again, he also supported Palpatine's rise to Supreme Chancellor. Could we see him in his Golden Years, older, wiser and providing for himself a more instrumental and defining role? I'd imagine a better fate for him...at least enough to alleviate some of the fan-hate and derision. Can it be done?

V-2 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    SW7 can redeem Jar Jar by letting Abrams do this to Naboo

Its the only way to be sure Jar Jar is gone ;)

3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Simply put Disney in no way in hell would put one of the most hated characters in history any where near the ST .

Dra--- and Doug625 like this.
  4. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    As much as I love Jar Jar, (and I do - not being facetious here) there's really no need for him to be part of the story of the ST. It would be 60 years past anything we saw him do. The story would have to be stretched in ridiculous directions to incorporate most prequel characters beyond possibly force ghosts. The story should come first.

Chief Chirpa of Endor and V-2 like this.
  5. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Are you forgetting that Lucas made an entire trilogy about the the most feared villain in movie history? If Darth Vader can be exposed, examined and ultimately redeemed, why not another character who is also seen as loathsome and 'hated'? The reasons might be different, but the perceptions are the same.

6. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999
    Yoda was 900 years old when he died. Chewbacca (according to differing sources) is over 200. Is there canon evidence in relation to the aging of Gungans? I'm not saying the entirety of the film should focus on Jar Jar by any means, but a bit of closure for the character would be an interesting exploration.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nope. My perception of Vader is not like my perception of Jar jar.

Lord Tuvitor, windu4 and Graphic like this.
  8. Buddha Fett

Dec 18, 1999

9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    In theory it could work, but the moment word got out that our friend had a prominent role in the film, the marketing department at Disney would up their salary demands

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah, it's just not happening. It's like naming your kid "Adolf." It's gonna take a while for the stink to wear off.

Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The new director is named Jar Jar Abrams. Count on him having a major role. There's no other way to do the Jaxxon/Jar Jar tie-in without this.

V-2 likes this.
  12. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Hmmm ... J.J. Abrams..... Jar Jar Binks.... Hmmmmmmmm....

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
  14. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I would love to see a righteous and elder Jar Jar make an appearance with Leia. My daughter and wife would love that. Jar Jar is a fave for them.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm all for seeing an aged Jar Jar in a position of respect, like Gungan "big boss," if the story allows for that. Ahmed Best could even voice him.

16. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    I would like to see Jar Jar broken in spirit, the exact opposite of what he was like in TPM. I mean, all the kind, loving, silly personality traits are gone. He's now a broken, shell of a Gungan. Depressed, hateful, and just totally full of hopelessness.

17. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Maybe Jar Jar's a depressed alcoholic who's living with the fact that he doomed the galaxy through Palpatine's emergency powers. The ST could center around his struggle to pull himself together and make up for his mistakes. ;)

Edit: Above poster beat me by a minute :p

Dra---, Episode Swag and DarthKreVass like this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That's an interesting idea as well. Basically, have him return as a "serious" character one way or another. I think the contrast with his earlier comedic "village idiot"-type character might work well.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    Yeah, it's like how they are portraying Mandalore in TCW, as a pacifist society, where once they were a warrior culture. Now Mandalore is returning to its past ideals. Jar Jar was once a likable character (or the sake of argument), but after all these years, he's very different. He's depressed, really a mentally broken Gungan. Something happened between ROTS and now, and like most SW movie, they just portray him that way without explanation. Plus, the audience hates him even in this fashion as he brings the movie down. Just show's he's the character that can't win the audience over no matter how they portray him.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Jar Jar would make no sense in the ST, he served his one purpose in the PT and had some redeeming episodes in TCW and that should be it.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Boy I would absolutely love it if they did bring him back! It does't have to a major role (I can't think of a major role he could be used in) just a cameo would be great. Leia needs some legislation passed in the Senate (Military Decommissioning Act would be great) and she meets with her cousins who represent Naboo to ask for their support and with them is a certain noble-looking Gungan. As he passes the camera the Gungan looks directly at it just like in Episode II (Jar Jar: "Mesa back!") It would be awesome if Disney kept this silent until release and when we finally see it we can all have a great laugh.

22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Don't count him out; Boss Binks is a character arc.

23. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    No. Please. No. THIS fan is willing to forgive and forget. If we can just let what's done be done!o_O

Dra--- likes this.
  24. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Darth Vader wasn't hated by fans... only in universe. Jar Jar's redemption would have to happen in this universe by changing the actual existing movies so that he isn't hated in our universe.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    i coulda sworn he died on alderaan.....