main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will the ST have ties to the PT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Figrin D'aniel, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the "connective tissue" will be the droids, Luke, and Leia. Everyone else that's relevant is dead. Who's left?

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think that's plenty character-wise. Like I mentioned in the JJ thread, only Spock connected the original Trek to the new and it worked well. Coruscant and Tatooine could help with the connnective tissue as well as references to the Fall of the Jedi etc... I think 7 will be masterfully woven with plenty of connections to all 6 of the first episodes. At least, that's what I would do.

3. The Umpire Strokes Bach

The Umpire Strokes Bach Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2012
    This Freudian slip from George in a Guardian article from way back in 2002 has long intrigued me.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2002/may/15/news.seanclarke
    So, what things in TPM could he be referring to exactly? My main guess is Midichlorians. And if he was purposefully laying things into the foundation way back then, I have no doubt in my mind that stuff like the Midis, Anakin's mysterious virgin birth, The Prophecy, Sifo-Dyas, Mace Windu and his retconnable "death", Qui-Gon's Force Ghosting breakthrough, and Darth Plagueis with his immortality business are all potential building blocks for the ST. Not to mention a lot of the smaller nuances sprinkled throughout the PT.
    Pondering this stuff has convinced me of one thing though, I'm team Plagueis all the way. I have some more thoughts about most of this, but yeah, I'm kinda guessing that I should take my more Plagueis-centric theorizing over to the "Whose the Baddie" thread.

Spam Bot and Lord Optimus like this.
  4. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    No it just makes Plagueis the "phantom menace." It was his plan anyways with the string pulling.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think no matter what George has said in the past, VII thru IX have always been in his head and some elements of the PT (and some changes in the SE) will have a clarified explanation and direct impact on the ST.

Regarding the Plagueis comments above, wasn't that Georges plan all along? Wasn't the main villain gonna make his first appearance in the final chapter? But George just grabbed story elements and crammed them into RotJ to finish the story cuz at the time he was fed up with it? (Leia being the other is one example)

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Maul and Ventress? How old would they be by now?

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This thread is entertaining. The connection will be the overarching themes that bind all of the movies together and some of the characters (Skywalker family, droids).

Echo-07 likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think Anakin as a Force ghost will appear, I think planets such as Coruscant/Naboo might appear, the Senate and the Old Jedi Temple, things like the Clone Wars/Order 66 might be referenced, there might be something with Darth Plagueis, etc.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  9. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Will the ST have ties to the PT? I believe that the answer is yes. They will feature R2, C3PO, Luke, Leia, and they will make a joke about how people use to believe midichlorians had something to do with the force. ;)

10. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Of course. A cohesive saga is the goal here. I just hope JJ really ISN'T secret illuminati code for Jar Jar :_|

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that Lucas intended Mace's death to be final and not particularly retcon-worthy.

12. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Of course it will have ties to the previous trilogies. This is Episode VII we're talking about, not just A Star Wars movie.
    Calling this one Episode VII clearly means that the plot, possibly most of the characters will make the transition to the new trilogy.

It won't be just a movie about what happens after Episode VI. For one thing that would be pointless, and secondly there are many books who already cover that part of the SW history.
    This won't be just an epilogue. It will most likely continue the overall main plots set in the PT and OT (eg Balance of the Force, The Chosen One, The Prophecy etc).

We will most likely have a familiar villain making a comeback, one of the older heroes will become the new mentor and teach the new generation of heroes how to fight this enemy they haven't been able to completely defeat themselves many years ago.
    That's the way the SW SAGA has worked until now. So it is very likely that the ST will continue on the same trend, plot-wise, character-wise and so on.

13. Figrin D'aniel

Figrin D'aniel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2013
    I get that the whole set of three trilogies should be inter-related but I just hope it doesn't bring back too many plots, characters, or general ideas from the PT and that it is more of a continuation of the OT. I want the characters to be talking about how the Galactic Civil War happened in the past, not the Clone Wars.

This isn't a perfect analogy, but for example I hated how The Dark Knight Rises was a continuation off of so many plots from Batman Begins and not from The Dark Knight.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He said that about Darth Maul, too. Next thing you know, Aayla Secura will still be alive <__<

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, the refusal to continue the Joker plot was apparently supposed to be about respect for Heath Ledger or something like that. Recasting would most likely have been a disastrous mess. There were really no good options there. However, the film did continue the Harvey Dent coverup plot from the end of TDK.

16. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I definitely agree re: Samuel L. Jackson / Mace Windu. He's dead. No more stupid resurrections.

17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm starting to hope they just start a new saga and let I-VI be a complete story. ROTJ has such....finality to it.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I see where you're coming from, but for me personally, I actually really liked how "Dark Knight Rises" is basically just a sequel to "Batman Begins" (TDK is barely referenced outside of Rachel Dawes & Harvey Dent) simply because it actually resonates back further for the audience, and ties the series together in a bow, which makes part 1 work stronger in the context of all 3 films. I think that's a more unique stance to take on a sequel to a multi-part series and gives the first part more resonance as opposed to simply being a sequel to Part II (as many Part 3 movies are, hell, even including ROTJ and ROTS! Or BTTF 3 is a direct sequel to BTTF 2. Or Star Trek 3 is a direct sequel to Star Trek 2... anyway, you get the idea). So if the ST yanked something from the PT to be the main thrust of the ST, it makes the whole thing hang together.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    If Mace survived, he would've helped out Yoda and Obi Wan, not split like a punk

He wouldn't have helped them if he's become a villian in the interim.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  20. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Yes, the ST will have ties to the PT indirectly, as well as the EU pre-TPM. For example, don't be surprised if Darth Plagueis makes a "comeback" of sorts. You didn't hear this from me though lol.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    All I'm asking for is a few mirrors here and there, so it feels like a Star Wars movie.

22. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I agree. I know many hated the PT and, I must confess, there's a lot that I'd have done differently, but there still needs to be the odd nod and wink to the PT.

23. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I really, really hope that there's no mention of The Prophecy, or The Chosen One, or any of that nonsense. They were bad ideas from the start and didn't actually add anything to the story.

Mention Naboo. Mention Nemoidians. And then forget that the PT ever happened.

24. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I really loved Plagueis and would have been glad if Luceno had been a scriptguru for the PT.For EPVII I could picture a scenario where Asajj Ventress (and maybe Maul) discovers Plagueis spirit in her exile and becomes his disciple. We could have Anakin's ghost tell Luke all he knows about Plagueis (and the location where stored that carbon frozen snips:p). Would be a perfect way to connect the three trilogies. What makes Plagueis so creepy as a villain is that he is far more cunning and less emotional than the other Sith. Palpatine basically died because he let himself be consumed in his torture of Luke (or when he faced Mace or Yoda).

25. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm sure they will milk every potentially profitable connection for all it's worth.