main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Applebees vs. The Internet

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Applebee's fires restaurant waitress for posting pastor's bill (and the snarky comment written by the pastor) online

I've been seeing this story everywhere lately. CNN, Facebook...uh, well, it's all over those two places at least.

In short, a pastor in a party of 8 dined at Applebee's and restaurant policy apparently adds an automatic gratuity of 18 percent to parties of 8 or more. The pastor scratched out the gratuity amount and wrote, "I give God 10%, why do you get 18?"

The server's coworker posted the check online and it became viral. The pastor became aware of it and called Applebee's with the demand that the waitress and the manager both be fired. The restaurant fired the waitress who posted the check online and the pastor was later on TV giving what looked like a completely fake apology for the situation.

At any rate, given how serious the news has been as of late, this was like a breath of fresh air. Albeit, stupid air, but fresh.

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I hear that Applebee's is a great place to take grandma.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I haven't been to one in ages. But my favorite casual dining chain restaurant as of late is BJs Brewhouse.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I took my wife to Applebees on our first date and the food was terrible. We haven't been back since then, like 10 years now.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Saw that on a friend's fb and read it. lol

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've seen this on Facebook as well and as far as I'm concerned, if the pastor was that embarrassed at having his stinginess broadcast to the entire Internet, maybe he should have offered a bigger tip.

Last I checked, God doesn't wait tables. Maybe God can make it on 10 percent, restaurant servers have a bit more difficult time.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The pastor was a she :p

What's also amusing is Applebee's ongoing arguing/conflict on its Facebook wall.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The problem with this situation was that it was a series of **** moves with no real winner. The pastor's **** move was the comment left on her receipt to her server. The server's **** move was posting the image on facebook with the pastor's name and signature for everybody to see. Applebees' **** move was firing the server and then making a big deal about it and generating negative publicity for them in the eyes of their potential customers. Had all of the parties, or even one, said "Nope, not gonna do it." then we wouldn't have this mess, but people let their emotions get the best of them and then we have this mess which is chock full of **** moves by everyone.

In short, don't be a ****.

Point Given and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    it's over, nuke everything

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well - that puts Applebee's down my list - and I like the food I've had there. But I'm tempted to boycott them over the firing (unless it is shown to be against specific company policy or something and even then...)

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i still maintain that is the allies hadn't been a **** to hitler WWII would never have gone the way it did

write about THAT harry turtledove

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I went to Applebees once but they didn't serve any apples with bees so I got pissed and screamed at the manager for 4.5 hours.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Eh, you can fairly well tell the name there. So, I find it very hard to think Applebee's was in the wrong firing her, as that's apparently a company policy to not be doing that.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    About Hitler winning? He'd be all too happy to.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    > The server's **** move was posting the image on facebook with the pastor's name and signature for everybody to see.

Unless we now classify publically calling out people who do crappy things as '**** moves,' this isn't a **** move.

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    you'll have to excuse kyle he's so slavishly devoted to his betters that he sometimes mistakes "breaches of company policy" for "**** moves"

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Someone who is 1) so rude to even consider writing that on a reciept and 2) egotistical enough to make sure she writes "Pastor" on the signature line deserves any humiliation that comes her way.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    whatever happened to public shaming people?! ARE WE ROBOTS?!

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That blog post was hilarious. I'd like to think that Applebee's underpaid social media team (person?) is actively trying to make their company look worse. Getting drunk and posting on Facebook all night.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    "The costumer is always right." Some companies will use that, especially if they percieve an employee to have done something that will cause harm to the company's rep.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    People, please don't make me edit 50 uses of a banned word again.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    They've hurt their rep with me by not standing by their employee. I won't spend money at a place that doesn't back their employees when dealing with jerks. That customer got what was coming to her, had Applebee's response been 'we stand by our server, we don't want your business anymore' I'd gladly eat there.

Valairy Scot and DarthBreezy like this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wait, that's not on the autofilter?

... Well ****.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    But they posted another patron's name in a flattering light?

Darth Guy likes this.
  25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    "I give GOD 10%" - pastor

I would've told the pastor to **** off and than tell him to tell GOD to **** off.. stupid dip ****