main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does anyone think Darth Vader will *not* be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by MiamiJedi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hang on... I just remembered that in one of the Legacy comics, Anakin's ghost appeared to Cade, and he turned into Darth Vader, armor, mechanical parts, burned up face and all that.

Now what if there's some new Jedi in VII that is skirting dangerously close the dark side, so Anakin appears to him/her and scares them by changing into Vader? Who's to say that Force Ghosts can't control what they look like.

Then there's the discrepancy of ghosts only being allowed to stay that way for so long, as shown by Obi Wan in Heir to the Empire. Maybe just because Anakin is the chosen one, he gets more/unlimited time.

Thoughts?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    EU authors fairly rapidly contradicted Zahn on that one- in Kevin J Anderson's Champions of the Force, Exar Kun's old master appears 4000 years later when Luke's apprentices are vanquishing him, to tell him: "Together Jedi can overcome their weaknesses. Exar Kun- my student- you are defeated at last."

Though that might be closer to a sudden return, than hanging around for 4000 years until Kun's vanquished permanently.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not to mention the films themselves did so-Qui-Gon was going to speak about all this in ROTS and he makes it pretty clear it's a forever thing.

kainee likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I leant toward the view that it is still "eternal life" - but that you're expected to stop intervening, after a while.

Obi-Wan's last speech does get repeated in The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi- published some time after Revenge of the Sith - and after it "Obi-Wan finally moved on" in the book.

kainee likes this.
  6. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Maybe Obi-Wan just got tired of being there and wanted to have a good excuse to go get hammered with Mace, Qui-Gon, etc up in Jedi-Heaven.

"I've lingered too long in this world", I'm sure you have Obi-Wan.

kainee and Iron_lord like this.
  7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    To be fair, the amount of intervening they're allowed to do seems very very limited-Obi-Wan says he can't interfere when Luke goes to confront Vader, and neither of them has anything to do with the final ROTJ duel.

kainee likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Though he is the one who teaches Anakin the technique to preserve his consciousness immediately after Anakin's death, having finally forgiven him.

kainee and DarthBoba like this.
  9. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Darth Vader will not be in Episode VII. The suit was burned, Anakin drifted off to the netherworld. Darth Vader is gone.

kainee and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Much as I love Zahn's early work, killing off Kenobi was a decision that negatively affected the EU. This is one of my main gripes with the canon obsession; narrative decisions made by one writer for one story determine the scope of storytelling for all subsequent writers.

11. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Anakin will definitely be in it, guaranteed, but only in spirit form in a very minor supporting role. Hayden Christensen will have a handful of cameos throughout the new trilogy.

kainee likes this.
  12. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I don't think Darth Vader will be back considering the fact...

*Spoilers*

that he is dead

kainee likes this.
  13. wookiebk

wookiebk Jedi Padawan

May 6, 2004
    I'm sure disney will shoehorn him in somewhere for marketing purposes like in a dream sequence.

V-2 likes this.
  14. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    As much of a fan I am of Darth Vader. I doubt he will be in any future episodes. However, I think seeing Anakin Skywalker's Force Ghost is more reasonable to appear instead. If Darth Vader comes back from the dead then I will never show any surport or respect for the new trilogy at all.

kainee likes this.
  15. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    What if Anakin wasn't actually redeemed at the end of RotJ. I know, it sounds crazy, but let's think about this:

Why do we believe that Anakin was redeemed? Because he killed the Emperor? That is not a sufficient argument. Remember, Sith apprentices always look for opportunities to kill their masters and take their place.

So one reason why Anakin killed the Emperor was that he felt betrayed by his former master. Palpatine offered Vader's place to Luke and even encouraged Luke to kill him.
    This is one minor aspect, but Vader had to choose: either save Luke and take Luke as his apprentice OR allow the Emperor to kill Luke, then come back at the Emperor's side. But since the Emperor betrayed him once, what guaranteed he won't do so again?
    Also, at that point, Vader had no idea that the Rebels were winning the fight.

Vader didn't turn on the Emperor when hundreds were killed in exploding ships, planets were destroyed or on the many occasions when the Emperor told him to do something evil.
    He turned on the Emperor because Sidious was about to kill Luke. That's who he cared about, not the Rebels, not anyone else.

Before his death he didn't even apologize for the atrocities he took part in. The only thing he said was: "You were right about me." About what? Oh, about what Luke told him earlier that there was a conflict?
    That could mean anything. That could mean that Luke really did sense a conflict within Vader: a conflict between his loyalty to Sidious and saving Luke.
    But that doesn't make him instantly redeemed and turned to the Light Side.

The fact that Vader wasn't actually redeemed can be explained by Hayden Christensen's appearance as a Force Ghost at the end of RotJ.
    The Light Side Anakin died a long time ago. Now, since Darth Vader is physically dead, Anakin can show up as a Force Ghost. Old Anakin could not, because he did not turn to the Light Side.

I guess I may be wrong, but this is from my point of view.

Could Hayden's appearance as a Force Ghost be some sort of foreshadowing?

16. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think it's clear

1) to become a force ghost you have to 'let go' and be at peace, like ObiWan just standing there, Yoda peacefully fading away etc Vader said, there is nothing that can stop him dying, he is at peace.

2) Sith try to hold on, that is why they can't become one with the force as they only try to manipulate the force.

kainee likes this.
  17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    A Force Ghost Anakin seems very likely, from a story perspective especially if its gonna be about his grandkids, as Palpatine will attest you don't screw with Darth Vaders family :)

Maybe they can just dub Hayden's lines with James Earl Jones Voice instead though.
    He could be like I'm a ghost but still have my Vader voice, It's all Obi-wans fault he's holding me back again ;)

kainee likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Hayden as Anakin ala force ghost - yes

Suited Vader - Hell to the no

Now a suited Vader spin off, stand alone movie - that's a different kettle of fish

kainee likes this.
  19. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Darth Vader = big bucks. Your explanation melts to nothingness in the face of corporate greed.
    Darth Vader or the Vader armor ( be real here..in the minds of the non-fanboy, Vader armor = Vader) will appear in the new trilogy.

20. MiamiJedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I want to see Episode III.5....you bring Ewan back and have him confront Vader again before a New Hope... I think that would make more $$$$ than Episode VII.. Ewan is great! They can also put Yoda in it.

21. MiamiJedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Reminds me of that currently popular tv commercial with that kid explaining not being able to get a tv somewhere because you would have to hold the antenna and wouldn't be able to see the TV.......

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I just find it odd that people don't think Vader had a spare suit or two. Going by the films there should be another 2 or 3 helmets lying around at least. Unless he kept his entire wardrobe on the Executor, of course.

23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No, he dead.

kainee, The Bops and Seagoat like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh he most certainly did have some spare suits:
    [​IMG]

kainee and Zane the Reaper like this.
  25. V-2