main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I despise TCW, but also see the good in him in the PT, especially thanks to Labyrinth of Evil, so I have no qualms about despising TCW. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes the PT.

thesevegetables and DarthRelaxus like this.
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If PT is the new abbreviation for "select prequel-era EU," you can count me as a fan as well.

Zane the Reaper and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    My unpopular EU opinion is that FOTJ is one of the best EU series written so far.

Jedi_Glover likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't get all farkled, they're not all borked.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My unpopular opinion? I enjoy the EU far, far more than the PT and the CWAS.

6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Didn't they go the other direction with the age thing with Jake Lloyd actually 6 years old ? I also think having him a bit older would have been more sensible for plot and audiences purposes. They could have used the same actor for one. Imagine if in ANH Luke is 9 years old then when ESB happens 10 years later Mark Hamil shows up!

I agree about the NJO though I think it's as much about the different authors each had there own take on the Jedi and how they write it and when they started it they had no clear idea about the Jedi.

I agree about not needing the Jedi to be uber.

I agree again about Obi-wan though he is still great. Jumping into the middle of a bunch of killer robots going hello there seems a bit silly.

As for swear words oh poodu ;)

Again I agree

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think he was 8 when they started, 9 when they did some reshoots.

8. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I like Children of the Jedi, and Planet of Twilight is one of my favorite SW novels. That's pretty much it... other than the fact that I actually like the EU. :p

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Force Smuggler I agree, though I haven't yet read Deceived.

@ezekiel22x depends on who you're talking to I think, as i've come across many movie lovers and TCW haters who think the opposite.

10. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Some of mine:

Mandalorians are more interesting post-TCW than in the Karen Traviss era. "Fractured society with duelling ideologies" is cooler than "OMG, we are all teh badass!!!111!!!" Heck, I preferred Mandalorians when Kreia was right, and Jango was the last of them.

I have no interest in seeing characters in another era re-enacting the OT.

Furthermore, I want the EU to expand on the characters and events I love from the films. If I'm reading about some random plebs milling about with glowy swords and spaceships, is it really Star Wars?

Opinions about the movies don't count as EU opinions.

An opinion isn't unpopular just because at one point, someone somewhere disagreed with you.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    That's unpopular? Beginning to think that's the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ulicus and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  12. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. I feel that liking TCW is the unpopular opinion around here.

That was never true - the Mandolorians revival was established long before Kreia or even Jango existed.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  14. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    Yeah... I'm one of them. I am no fan of TCW. The only redeeming quality is the fact that Anakin seems like a genuine good guy, which you would never have guessed from the PT.

thesevegetables likes this.
  15. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    It was true for about twenty years, from Galidraan to Geonosis. Spar didn't bring the Mandalorians back until after Jango was already dead. But now I guess everyone is a Mandalorian and they were never extinct to begin with so w/e.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I still prefer to think that "the shell of their armour on the shell of a man" refers to the (Mandalorian inspired, at least pre-TOR) clone armour on Jango's clones, with the stuff about them being "too easily slain by Jedi" a Traviss-style accusation that the Jedi are unprincipled and using them as cannon fodder.

instantdeath and RC-1991 like this.
  17. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    That could have worked too. Oh well, maybe in the next continuity.

thesevegetables likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Aw. Well, that's different, in which case I do agree with you. It was better when the Mandolorians spent at least some time being gone, and their revival was an important event.

I especially wish that the Mandolorian Armor = Boba Fett thing during the OT era was still true.

19. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    My unpopular opinion:

I don't like Luceno. I find his work bland (though I admit he's decent at creating stories), I just can't being myself to read his stuff with enthusiasm.

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My unpopular opinion: K'krukh's hat is ugly. Perhaps that's the secret to its power.

21. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I still want a Boba Fett novel from Karen Traviss.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I love JJM and think he might be the best world builder in the EU, but I think KOTOR lost its way after Vindication.

23. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Weren't the Jango Fett: Open Seasons comics and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter video game made before KOTOR2? Not to mention Boba Fett? I hope you didn't really expect her fortune telling to be 100% accurate.

And explain the second statement that I put in bold.

24. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I find some of the EU books difficult to read because the prose is so stilted.

25. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Open Seasons and the Bounty Hunter game both show all the Mandalorians who aren't Jango getting killed, so I'm not sure what your point is.

|Well, under this approach, he's not a true Mando. He gets some of the culture from Jango, but essentially he's a pretender. Same for the Mandalorian revival shown in Marvel. The important thing is that the line of Mandos from the TotJ comics ends with Jango.

I couldn't care less about Kreia's rate of accuracy. I just found that depiction of Mandalorians (and Jango, for that matter) to be more interesting than what Karen Traviss gave us.

I have no interest in stories that rehash the general structure and character roles of the original Star Wars trilogy (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi). This goes double for stories where the main draw is the setting being many years in the past or future.

Examples would include the first KotOR game and the Legacy comics,

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.