main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Finally saw the amazing Spider-man last night. I guess it was okay. Not awful, but not great.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not amazing eh?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Man I loved this movie. Great performances and one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long time. This along with Silver Linings Playbook are my two favorite films of 2012. Kinda irked that this didn't get any Oscar love.

4. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    The Decameron, man there's some funny stuff going on in these stories.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lincoln. a great performance by the entire cast and a really engrossing film for the first hour and a half. it lost me a bit in the third act though, basically starting from the point where they were counting all the votes and it just went on and on even though everyone already knows the outcome. obviously it was a very important scene and i don't really have any suggestions for how it could have been handled better, but it did sort of grind the film to a halt.

also, it was much more a film about the passing of the 13th amendment than a film about lincoln's life, so the inclusion of his death felt strangely anticlimactic. there was actually a point in the film that would have made a perfect ending imo. when he leaves his cabinet and says something along the lines of, "well it's time to go, though i'd much prefer to stay". and then he walks off with his iconic top hat silhouetted in the street lamps, off to meet mary and presumably head to the theater. it should have ended right there.

DarthTunick and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, it definitely should've ended when he left. I certainly thought that's where it was going to end.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    How is that? I read the book a few years ago and really thought it was incredibly moving, but I've never gotten around to catching the movie.

8. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    The Expendables. Awesome is the description that comes to mind.

9. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    The Hobbit

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Zidane

I liked it, but would never watch it ever again

Winged_Jedi likes this.
  11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    MicMacs à tire-larigot.

Bonkers. Funny. Ingenious. Cunning. ...and did I say bonkers? :p A really enjoyable French comedy, with added morals. Oh, and a bizarre obsession with human cannonballs. :p

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Parker- While still solidly "a Jason Statham movie", this is one of the better Jason Statham films you'll find, with at least some depth to the character's motto mind set (not a lot, mind you, but a bit more than usual).

A lot less shoot outs and martial arts than usual, with a greater focus on the crime heist facets.

It's difficult to not make comparisons to Payback (Parker/Porter going after guys he pulled a heist off with that betrayed him, taking his take of the loot which he seeks on principle).

Parker is a more serious take on the concept, though- there's none of the quirky tongue in cheek humor of Paybacks take.

2/4 of the top Expendables down, Stallone and Willis left to go...[/b]

13. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    The Proposal, for what must be the 5th time.

14. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Double post!

15. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    It was okey, depends on what mood you're in i guess. Great actors! If you liked the book its probably worth it.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Snuck out to see Warm Bodies before the Superbowl. I was surprised by how good it was

and by how long it took me to figure out it was Romeo & Juliet & Zombies. I really, really liked the idea of different classes of zombies - corpses and bonies. There was a hole in zombie mythology that needed filling. This movie filled it in with some really class.

17. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Chronicle. It does a good job showing what would really happen if some teenagers got superpowers, especially nowadays (I would definitely think they'd film themselves doing stuff and put it up on Youtube). But man, that one kid's dad was a real ***hole. Why he lived is beyond me. Liked the flying scenes, very realistic, and sets the bar high for the next Superman movie.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bullet to the Head- A vaguely buddy cop flick (only it's one cop and one hitman) combined with the usual climbing-the-crime-ladder to find out who sold out the "hero" criminal concept.

It's actually kind of weird seeing that premise back to back between this and Parker, but they have very different feels to them so the overlap isn't too redundant.

Anyways, it's an ok flick- Stallone is enjoyable, but I feel "Han" was a little out of place (something somewhat intentional, it's just that "Han" doesn't have the chemistry with Stallone to make the execution fly).

Jason Momoa, however, was awesome and brings life to what was otherwise a limited character. He'll be one of the headliners of an Expendables sequel in 25 years.

The film does have a really great line from Stallone though (but i suppose it's in the delivery and context so I wont spoil it here).

3/4 Expendables down, now I just gotta wait for Bruce and Die Hard to hit and I'll have finished off the set.

(on a side note, it's really rather sad to see all three of these films bomb at the box office- they may not have been the cream of the crop but they were all decent-to-very-fun action flicks. following Dredd last year this does not bode well for R-rated action flicks for the near future...)

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Jason Momoa seems to be making a bit of a name for himself. I hope we see a lot more of him in the future. He was awesome as Ronon.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  21. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- he was great as Ronon, he did a lot with very little here and he had a nice take on Conan even if the movie itself wasn't very good.

The shame of it is, with Conan and Bullet to the Head bombing, he's probably not very bankable as a star despite his talent.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    silver linings playbook. i really liked it. i'm so glad that the thing you wanted to happen happened and it didn't end like a hemingway novel.

only 2 best picture nominees left to watch, amour and zero dark thirty.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Flight. Not bad, but Zemeckis' best film IMHO. The prison scene at the end would have worked a lot better if the movie had started there.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Looper, finally. Pretty damn good. The time travel mechanics make no sense, as time travel often always does, and I would've preferred a bit more exposition on the dystopia of an impoverished U.S. (world?) descended into kleptocracy. But it was really creepy how much they made JGL look like (and how he acted like) Bruce Willis, and the kid playing Cid was really great.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.