main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

''I have other uses for you''

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthTalgus, Feb 3, 2013.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What is Sidious planning to do with Maul and how will it affect the rest of the galaxy ?[face_thinking]
    DISCUSS

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He may use maul to take out the Night Sisters or test him against Anakin

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought the implication that Sidious would use him as an experimental subject in an attempt to learn to cheat death was obvious.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    "Nightsisters" means Talzin. Remember the massacre- she is the last one alive. If we don't count Ventress of course...

Palpy now has another apprentice he can play against Dooku if Count decides to betray him again (we actually saw Dooku in the trailer with something behind him that could be red lightsaber...)

I wonder what happens to the remnants of Shadow Conspiracy- Ziton Moj and pykes etc. will Maul continue to rule them serving Sidious?- That would give Sidious control over third faction he could play against the jedi and the CIS however he wants to prolong the conflict further.....

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I thought the episode made it fairly clear (IMO) that Maul is not going to be in the running for Sith apprentice. If Maul sincerely wanted to be Sidious' apprentice and never took on an apprentice of his own, who knows? Maybe Sidious would have been a bit more impressed or open to the idea. But Sidious can see blatantly that Maul has been building up a power base to usurp Palpatine, and I think his emphasis on the Rule of Two made it clear that there was no longer any place within the Sith Order for Maul, especially when he has set himself up to be a rival.

One use I can see are directly or indirectly using Maul to get to Talzin or vice versa (Talzin kept an eye on Savage as he traveled across the Galaxy, she may be watching Maul as well, she could have seen what Sidious has done, perhaps she even learns who Sidious is and comes after him). Talzin was interested in Maul and had some use for him that has yet to be fully explained. Sidious also states that he has use of Maul. Whether Sidious is consciously looking for Talzin or not at this point, I feel that he and Talzin will be drawn into conflict with Maul serving as the catalyst/focal point.

The other use is that as CT-867-5309 pointed out, perhaps he's interested in learning how Maul cheated death.

In my opinion the first is very likely, the second should happen, but I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic that it won't. Though the two aren't mutually exclusive.

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I will be shocked if we see Maul in public ever again, while Sidious lives.

7. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    WOW!! Just want to say that was a badass fight!! THATS how you use Darth Sidious, worth the wait to see him in the flesh in action!!

My two cents, the reason I believe he went in the flesh to take care of Maul was he saw something in the future that bothered him (Scene of him in his office), leaving Maul unchecked with the grudge against Obi-Wan fouled up his plans somehow. I think he'll use him to take care of some of the lose ends in the republic, use him as a Sith assassin.

SithStarSlayer and Dinos4Ever like this.
  8. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    After just re-watching the Holocron trilogy, I really believe Sidious will use Maul as a Sith assassin. That's what he wanted to children for; to use them as Sith assassins that can take care of his enemies.

I also believe Talzin is an enemy...and I'm getting excited just thinking about what could happen next.

9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Maul already was his Sith assassin and he failed miserably. Sidious had another Sith assassin, Ventress, and demanded that Dooku get rid of her.

Jedi Merkurian and Embomania like this.
  10. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I expect to see Maul out and about doing something, if he's just going to be experimented on that's a waste, he might as well have died.
    Clearly if Sidious did experiment on him, he didn't learn much so it'd be pretty pointless and it'd be a bit dark for TCW.

11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    He is probably going to use Maul to help further Anakin's path down the dark side or in hopes of finally taking out Kenobi.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think Maul's going to be sitting in a lab for the rest of the show. That might be what Sidious wants to do with him, but from what Witwer has hinted, I don't think he'll remain there, IF he is even put there to begin with.

I mentioned in another thread that it's also kind of awkward that at the end of Lawless they seem to be setting up a future episode for Obi-Wan and the Republic to come back and liberate Manadlore, which is kind of awkward since with Savage dead and Maul missing, you would think that it would be liberated before the Republic even gets there. So I'm confused as to what they are going to do there, if they're setting up an episode and yet destroying the premise for that episode all at the same time. It's possible that Maul will be allowed to hold onto Mandalore just long enough for the Republic to go there, liberate the planet, and kill Maul, with Palpatine being celebrated as a hero by the Mandalorians.

13. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Sidious felt that Dooku and Ventress would overthrow him though, and demanded Dooku get rid of her to see if Dooku was still loyal. That doesn't apply to Maul's situation. Sidious just made Maul his little biatch.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Not necessarily, if Maul is taken out of the picture and then we have the Prime Minister that he put in place that is corrupt. Nothing is going to stop him from letting the Crime families and such take over Mandalore and who knows what else. Though he might actually declare a side in the war as well which might affect on if the republic will help or not.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The Sith assassin idea is incredibly old and uninspired.

Judging by Sidious' words in the episode, I don't see him letting Maul loose in the galaxy again.

I kinda saw this as Maul's swan song, the death of his significance.

If you go by Darth Plagueis, or if you just interpret it that way from the movie, Palpatine never learned the secret of cheating death. Maul apparently has cheated death, and that secret is the only real value I see Sidious seeing in him, and I connect Sidious' "If we work together" line from ROTS to him suggesting that he has Maul on the side to experiment with.

What value does Maul have? What can he do? Sith assassin? It's been done, and Maul wasn't even particularly good at it. So if Maul is going to do something, hopefully TCW will come up with something better than that.

cwustudent and eht13 like this.
  16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I got the impression they were thrown under the bus for Maul's plan. They were used to be the boogey man that Death Watch could easily defeat to gain power, but were they seen since? I figured they got manipulated into playing the bad guys with the expectation that they would be freed, only to not be freed. As for Almec, I don't think anyone's really loyal to him. Death Watch was loyal to Maul because Maul beat Vizsla. Almec was just a puppet that Maul was using to be the public face of his government. With Maul gone (if he is gone), I can't imagine Almec really has any power to hold onto.

17. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I think I saw them yesterday when Obi-Wan arrived.

All Almec has to do is maintain the appearance that Maul is still in charge. And I trust he is resourceful enough to do so.

18. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Dave Fillioni has said in previous interviews that their only going to use Maul in big story arcs, so that makes me think that whenever he shows up again it will be something on the same scale as "The Shadow Conspiracy" story. Also, after spending so much time showing Mauls intelligence and cunning, I rather doubt they will go back to him just being the silent assassin ever again. The "torture for science subject" angle will never happen unless the show moves to a non-children channel.

Jedi Merkurian and DavidIX like this.
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think "too dark" is going to hold TCW back, we've already had torture in TCW, several times. They could show him floating in a tank in The Works. Or they could do some Frankenstein experiments on him.

But I didn't expect it to show up, I expected this to be Maul's final significant appearance. Has anyone from TCW suggested otherwise?

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think Witwer just reiterated that Maul is "playing a long game" in his recent interview, which I interpreted to mean that he will still be up to something in the future, rather than Lawless marking the end of his "game." Filoni has mentioned that we will learn why Talzin is so interested in Maul, which I imagine will require Maul popping up again.

I figure Maul will have to crop up again and I don't expect that the extent of his appearance will be him strapped to a table being tortured. That might be where his story picks up the next time we see him, but I assume Talzin will get him out of that situation, or he'll get out of it himself, or Dooku will discover what Palpatine is doing or *insert major event* happens and he's able to get out of that situation. Filoni was teasing in his Revival panel that the emotion we saw from Maul in that episode when he shows concern for Savage after the latter lost his arm might stem from how Talzin restored Maul. We saw a little bit more of that in Lawless in how he completely ignored Palpatine and ran to the dying Savage's side and called him "brother" rather than "apprentice."

I figure they'll touch on that further in S6, if like Filoni suggested, it has something to do with Talzin perhaps removing some of his Sith brainwashing. Obi-Wan even remarks that he is aware that Maul did not make the decision to be a Sith and that the decision was forced upon him. Talzin may have given him some of his "humanity" back.

I figure Maul will feature prominently again in the hinted at Talzin arc, which I assume is Season 6. And I hope it's Season 6. Because while I enjoy Maul, they really need to resolve his story sooner rather than later and get back to leading into ROTS.

V-2 likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The idea of "redeeming" Maul in a sense? Do not want.

They're already doing it with Ventress, one is enough, and she makes far more sense than Maul.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Hell, I don't want any more of Talzin. Period. She's a one-stop shop for convenient plot devices, and she's over-powered to a degree that her lack of any kind of vulnerability just makes her uninteresting. The only reason I'm interested in seeing her again is seeing how she'll be killed.

23. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Darth Maul won't be used as a test subject, that would be a terrible idea by Filoni and Company. Considering this is a kids show and that would render Maul useless- This is one idea I see zero chances of developing.

Another idea that people throw out too much is that He will use Maul to turn/test Anakin. Why does everything have to revolve around Anakin. Dooku is the more logical direction for me. He's been testing Dooku against Anakin for a while now. Anakin is still a pipe dream though, so there's no guarantee Anakin would kill Dooku and/or join Sidious to begin with. So at these stages of the game I see Maul more of a direct rival to Dooku. Maul did very well against Sidious, I wouldn't be surprised if Sidious wishes to give his former apprentice another chance to reclaim his mantle.

That is the direction I see them taking Maul. He will be used to test Dooku and we will figure out why Mother Talzin saved Maul to begin with. Two big ideas that can become huge arcs in the future.

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You might be right. The only two things you could do to him in order for Maul to stay out of all of this is a remote planet exile or carbon freeze. If the EU tells us anything, it's that Palps loves to keep trophies.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Maul has already been rendered useless imo. I'm not sure how he can recover his credibility after crying and begging for mercy. That on top of his plan that was stupid from conception to endgame and his failures in Revenge and Revival.

Really, bringing Maul back could never go anywhere.

But hey, they could always turn Maul into another Grievous.