main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    I try not to write in class, but the plot bunnies won't leave me alone unless I do :p

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    When you stay up past midnight working on a fic. Kriff I'm tired...

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Midnight? Try the next morning!

I suffer from plot bunnies in my dreams. All mine are bizarre and end up being xovers. Though this morning I dreamt about Dooku crash landing on a planet and somehow losing his pants in a swamp. He went to every house in search of a new pair and couldn't find a single one. Man, the man just wants one pair of pants and the entire planet is devoid of the article! To say he was humiliated and frustrated is an understatement. I was amused though. Very amused.

-when you lay in bed and start typing up a dream into a note, new fan fic or incorporate it into an existing one, instead of getting up and doing your daily routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when one of those written at 3AM scenes was a three year old in your head yelling "But I did see him, Mama! I did! He's right there!" (I got to that point, couldn't not continue the scene the next day, had to get to the end of it right then and there.)

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    ...When you take a nap and have a very vivid dream and wonder how you can use it as a fic...

6. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    When you can't seem to think of anything but the newest 'this will be AWESOME!!!' idea. Even when you really should be focusing on school :p

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you spend six months wondering how to write a wedding and the answer all along was "just do it."

8. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    You eavesdrop on conversations at school and scribble down ideas in your notebook.

You can do it without being caught.

You start daydreaming about this really awesome idea for a new fic and by the time you write it, you hate the idea and delete it. 5 minutes later you get a new idea...

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  9. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    You turn off the light to go to sleep then, 30 seconds later, turn it back on again to write down the paragraph that just came into your head - repeat at regular intervals until you're too tired to string a sentence together.

10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    You write a speculative story about a character's *most likely, fatal* ending, and this morning you find out it's now canon :_|

11. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    I had a dream the other night that I got through my mental roadblock and was writing a new scene for my fic. If only I could remember how it went... :oops:

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You try to figure out how to write a cliffhanger every 2000 words (average size of post).

Admiral Volshe and pronker like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ... when you want to replace the characters in your original fiction with SW characters and use the plot of the original piece for a fan fiction.

... when you realize the above could be easily done because the world in which said original fiction is so similar to the Empire era GFFA.

Lady_Misty and Admiral Volshe like this.
  14. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I still have nightmares with that one. :p I came to the conclusion it was nearly impossible. I just prefer the post have a natural flow to it, then have constant twists. Sometimes a lot of twists can hurt a story.

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...When the most minor things set your plot bunnies a-scurrying... even though there's no cohesive plot to be found. You just plain like the imagery and want to write a story around one particular scene.

16. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    You'll write fanfiction anytime, anywhere, and on anything.

pronker likes this.
  17. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    ... when you read Darth Plagueis and you're thrilled that it doesn't step on your notes for Palpatine's origin.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...when while out snow-tubing, you're riding the lift to the summit, and a certain song comes on that reminds you of your current 'ship, and then all that's on your mind while you go flying down an increasingly-icy slope, face-first on your stomach, as you slam into the inflatable bumpers at the bottom, glasses-first, after smashing your knee twice against a solid-ice berm... all you can think of is your 'ship and how they would be enjoying snow-tubing.

Padawan4687 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  19. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    ....when you realize you should have been studying when you wrote a ten-page section of a fanfic that you spent weeks thinking and dreaming of. :p I've done this plenty of times...I'm also guilty of drawing while studying.

Lady_Misty and TrakNar like this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    You spend hours pondering on situations. I did this today with my beta for Dark Angel. We talked about how two characters could become friends and the most likely ways for that friendship to form.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you write a multi-chapter story with an out-of-the-ordinary pairing, expecting no reviews at all, really, and you get just one, and that one is enough.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Yeah, but just sometimes... [face_dunno]

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ha, it would be nice to get more, but yup, the writing urge won out over socializing ...

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Sometimes, it would be nice just to get reviews...

YKYAFFW...

...when you put your daily sketch card regimen aside to work on stuff related to your fanfic.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    This one might be more for fanfic writers who use a lot of original characters, but: when you run across a character in someone else's fanfic and do a headdesk, muttering "Curse you, Behindthename.com." Because of course everyone else on the Internet has been using the same sites to name their characters. Now you're in that awkward position of trying to decide whether to rename your character. Does anybody else run into this or am I the only one who worries about it?