main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So 2030 Americas little problem

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Malkie probably.

jp-30 and ophelia like this.
  2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Ah, I see. It's sort of free-floating hostility. Kind of like when you think a baby is smiling, but it's really just gas.

Carry on. I knew I'd regret asking.

3. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't hate fat people at all. If anything I don't think you should hate on a fat person because theyre fat. Seems kinda ****ty wouldn't you say..

the problem I have is that people who have no self restraint in what they shovel into their gullets makes insurance costs go up across the board, we also have these stupid laws that politicians wanna enact. Taxes and Bans on soda and sugary fattening foods. Maybe one day a politician will enacgt a law that fast food chains are only allowed to sell a single burger per customer. It opens a can of worms that shouldn't be opened.

its always people who show self restraint being punished for the people who have no self awareness.

4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    come on, you cant be serious? You think most people who are clinically obese are that way because they show great will power and self restraint. Its just another excuse people give because they cant stick with something. Most fat people are fat because they make poor eating choices, who doesn't know this.

If someone can go cold turkey and quit smoking after 30 years, a person can better monitor what, and how much they eat.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i am super skinny but i would have a hard time getting on a high horse about it. the thing is that i make horrible eating decisions pretty much every day. i just happen to have a really high metabolism and i manage to stay pretty active. there are no doubt obese people who eat exactly how i do, who am i to say they are somehow weaker of character than me?

6. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Because skinny people are better people tom.

yankee8255 and Souderwan like this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Being European is a choice.

8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Dude, do you really need an explanation why being clinically obese is a problem???

No one is saying youre better than they are, but if youre obese, your eating habits are probably way off.

9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Cape dude, the point is that some people are going to be fat no matter what they eat, or how many sit-ups they do.

10. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I think you're missing the point. Yes, it is true that if you're overweight, it's most likely because of any number of poor choices you've made with the combination of eating habits and activity level. But you've made the leap that this reality necessarily means that the person has poor self control (and implied that you have better self control than they). What tom was trying to explain to you is that we all have different metabolisms and backgrounds. You have no idea why a particular person might be in the situation they are in. I have a lot of skinny friends who eat like absolute crap and don't work out worth a damn.

I work out at least 5 times a week and carefully monitor my food intake--have been doing so for over a year. But I am still a fatty (less of a fatty than a year ago, of course, but still a fatty). Do I possess less self-control than my skinny friends? If you happen to have a craptastic metabolism, it is easy to get fat. Getting un-fat is hard.

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  11. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Endomorphic weaklings. Give up your unending quest for self improvement and pay tribute to your mesomorphic superiors.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    True, but the increase in obesity rates between the 80s and today in the U.S. is astounding.

I've linked to this many times, but here goes again:

This clearly demonstrates that we have a massive public health problem, and it has very little if not absolutely nothing to do with taking personal responsibility for one's life. It's definitely not that in 1985, 90% of Americans were "choosing" not to be overweight, whereas in 2009 only 60-70% of Americans were "choosing" not to be overweight.

Yes, people should take responsibility for their weight. But also, very few people want to be overweight or obese. The reality is that Americans live in a terrible food and exercise environment. Extremely cheap foods made of mass-produced, low nutrition content staples like corn syrup, plus constant bombardment with marketing messages encouraging people to overeat or eat unhealthy foods, plus 24-7 access to those cheap, unhealthy foods, plus addictive quality of many cheap, unhealthy foods, plus our genetic wiring designed for us to put on body fat in times when food is plentiful as a calorie bank against times when food is not plentiful plus the fact that food is never not plentiful, plus an increasingly sedentary lifestyle reinforced by increasing obesity rates. The fatter you get, the more you enjoy sedentary activities. The more time you spend on sedentary activities, the fatter you get. Plus more Americans have jobs that require little or no exercise. A lot of people work in fast food service where they're getting a big chunk of their nutrition from the food they're serving, which is unhealthy. When was the last time you saw a thin person working at McDonald's?

And after all that, we have a generation of parents who grew up in a completely sedentary environment and are passing all those unhealthy habits to their children, who are now becoming obese in childhood.

So, what the map shows it that our obesity epidemic is not an epidemic of personal individual failure, but a cultural failure. It's a consequence of our marketing-driven consumer society and a consequence of our changing economy.

Point Given , Darth Guy and V-2 like this.
  13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I could never pin down the point where the US became a marketing drive consumer culture, Some times I wonder if it always was such a culture. But that is not a great way to run a long terms sociaty.

14. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    To quote Jules Winnfield...."Personality goes a long way."

15. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

youre right people who are clinically obese have better self control when it comes to food than someone who isn't heavy.

I disagree with you 110% on everything you said.

16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    lol.

I did not say that clinically obese people have better self control when it comes to food than someone who isn't heavy. I said that people who are clinically obese do not necessarily have less self control when it comes to food than someone who isn't.

If A is not greater than B, it does not follow that B is therefore greater than A. You obviously didn't display much self control when it came to paying attention to logic in school.

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To add to the point, certain medications can have an impact on weight gain as part of their side affects.

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    True. Contraceptives being one of the most widely used, I assume.

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    no, youre wrong, every fat person ive ever been friends with was fat casue they ate like crap and never did any exercise. They even admitted it.. Yet every fat person ive ever known who went on a diet and improved their activities miraculously lost weight.

and yes people who are obese most likely have less control when it comes to food.. If not what would you attribute it to? Yet every TV show where it was about people losing weight, Biggest Loser etc etc etc, have all shown heavy people not being able to curb their cravings. Hence less self control. It must be something else obviously, no self awareness whatsoever.

its comical you said I mustve not paid attention in logic when youre clearly using not one stitch of it yourself... I agree with you fat people are fat because theyre really into working out and eating healthy.

20. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Cept that's not what he said. Like at all.

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    no.... what he said was, clinically obese do not necessarily have less self control..

which I disagree with 110%..

almost everyone whos heavy is that way due to their poor eating habits and low physical activity.

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    And yet you are still missing the point.

Souderwan and V-2 like this.
  23. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    That isn't necessarily true. There is a lot of genetic (and environmental) basis for obesity.

For example, there's currently research being done into a specific set of genes that, when mutated, were found to induce not only morbid obesity, but also aggression, in mice. What the researchers found is that segments of these genes are critical for early neurological development in terms of not only appetite, but also behavior. When they looked at morbidly obese patients who also displayed aggressive behavior, they also found that some of these individuals were missing key parts at the end of the human analogs of those genes.

There's also the difficulty with exercise.

For example, I was acquainted with a woman who was a runner in high school and college and in great shape. She gained a lot of weight though as she aged (over 200 pounds). To lose it, because she had been an athlete, she began to exercise and actually lost over 100 pounds. The problem is, though, that she absolutely destroyed the cartilage in her knees doing so and now she can barely walk. Because she's so obese too, surgeons aren't willing to take the risk and perform a surgery to fix her knees. So she's essentially immobile now and very depressed because trying to lose weight is what got her in this situation in the first place and now she's just putting all the weight back on.

It's a much more complicated situation than I think you're making it out to be.

V-2 likes this.
  24. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I do agree there are plenty of other factors that play roles in this, This is a topic I find interesting and have read a lot about it...

in a nut shell though people who tend to be heavy are that way for simple reason, poor diet and little to no physical fitness.

every doctor or nutritionist will tell you the same. "whats your eating habits?" than they tell you to diet.

25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    no youre missing the point,.

I see what hes saying I just utterly disagree