main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Son of Bowie to direct World of Warcraft film

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hitman movie > Hitman Absolution.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ender, I already spend all my online time on this place :p

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    About 3 minutes, most of that under protest.

SuperWatto likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    havent played it yet. really? :(

but yeah they're all dope but they peaked at 2. its kinda been a race to the lowest common denominator on gameplay ever since

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What? You crazy! Hitman Blood Money was the pinnacle of the series. Contracts is basically 1, with strange dream sequences and updated graphics/mechanics. But Blood Money? Amazing.

Avoid Absolution like the plague it is.

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    how can you say contracts is "basically 1". did you play 1? the focus is completely different. much more like a action game than the stealth gameplay that subsequent entries, including contracts, offer. although i suppose you could play any of them in that manner. i always go the "silent assassin- kill only the target" route. this was most enjoyable/possible in number 2, the aptly named "Silent Assassin"

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I thought my explanation was pretty dead on accurate; It's basically 1 with different graphics and mechanics.

In that, you take the missions from #1 and redo them in a less complex way.

Like, for example, my favourite 47 mission ever is "Traditions of the Trade". In Codename 47, there's who bits about the downstairs restaurant and kitchen. In Contracts, that's removed, and whilst the mission is still great it suffers for it.

Also, whomever referred to the Mists of Pandaria cinematics - I just watched the opening cinematic. From Warcraft 3 onwards, when Medivh tries to warn the council at Lordaeron of the impending Legion attack on Azeroth and is rebuked by the humans, the Kirin Tor, and the quel'dorei, Warcraft has always had excellent cinematics but the quality of the MoP one was second to none.

Where's Raven and dp4m when we need them?

8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Rise and Fall of Arthas Menethil would be a fantastic storyline for a film(s), especially if they want to be cheeky releasing a film in the same year as the start of the new SW trilogy.

I wonder if the film will tell a story standing alone from WoW, like about Arthas' fall, Thrall's slave revolt, the First or Second War, etc... or if they'll tie the film and an expansion release as all advancing the same storyline. In the case of the latter, the Burning Legion would almost certainly be the "foe of the hour," with perhaps Sargeras as Big Bad. Turalyon and Alleria would also almost certainly feature prominently.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    With the lore being what it is, there's scope for so many of those stories to be told (or for new ones to be created).

I've just been reading up on major changes since Cata and MOP. Dear lord, I had no idea that Theramore was destroyed and Rhonin dead!

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I just started playing again last month. I thought I'd give MoP a whirl. Last time I played was to get my two mains up to 85 and experience the post-80 Cata content. I've really only been playing to level my characters; I don't stick around much for endgame stuff.

I don't understand the Theramore thing. Just like you, I'd heard it was destroyed and TPed there on my alliance mage to go check it out, but everything's... standing? And Jaina's clueless about any impending disaster? :confused: Maybe it's one of those phased things that my character hasn't progressed to the other side of yet.

edit: I just read this little paragraph on the bottom of Arthas' wowwiki entry, which showed the character in a new way for me and why the character resonates so deeply beyond merely the whole tragic fall story: "Arthas could be seen as a "reverse" version of King Arthur, up to the name similarity. Like Arthur, Arthas' fate as the king began with pulling a sword out of the stone - Frostmourne is comparable to the Sword in the Stone/Excalibur. Ner'zhul may be seen as roughly equivalent to Merlin, the wizard figure behind the king, while Uther, Arthas' trainer, shares his name with King Arthur's father. In contrast to Arthur, Arthas destroys a Camelot-styled kingdom and builds its opposite."

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Arthas always had that connection that. Arthur's father was Uther Pendragon; Arthas' mentor was Uther the Lightbringer.

Theramore seems to be gone in the game post-phasing, so that might be it.

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Theramore's destruction is a phased event according to my brother.

Edit: unless this will be a new story my vote goes to telling Arthas' plot line

13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I just want to know where all the smelly souls that haven't taken a shower for two weeks fit into the movie. I mean you can't have a Wow movie without those who spend countless hours playing and forgoing hygiene in the process.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They will be found in the seats.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Basing this on experience?

16. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I have never played an online mmo in my life. Honestly I don't trust myself with those games so I don't do it.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well I thank you for the contribution.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    No longer in Azeroth! I cut the cord! I'm a free man! I went casual during Cataclysm, and then stopped entirely a couple months before MoP.

I'm still hoping that this movie will turn out OK, and I'll be there opening weekend. I expect that whatever story gets told, it'll have a human protagonist. I hear that fantasy movies can be successful without a human protagonist, so if I'm wrong I won't be shocked, but my expectation is definitely that there will be a human protagonist. Tirion Fordring seems to me to be the most likely protagonist.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Tirion has a great tale. I remember in Vanilla, I missed his quest chain in EPL entirely. I then picked up a collection of 4 WoW stories, the Archive (http://www.wowpedia.org/Warcraft_Archive) for $10. One of the stories was "Of Blood and Honour", by Chris Metzen of Blizzard. It told of Fordring's friendship with Eitrigg and his eventual fall from grace where he lost his stewardship of Mardenholde. I went back and did his quest chain at L70, and loved it. Then, when he came back for WOTLK, I signed on for the Argent Crusade.

Tirion, Arthas, or Lo'Gosh/Varian would be the humans I'd pick.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That was me. The first time I saw the MOP ad, I honestly thought that I had stumbled into the middle of a movie trailer. The quality was that high.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Having been a fan of this series since Warcraft 2, I do hope that they go with the Medivh story (ie. Warcraft 1). I was drawn to these games because of the story and the characters (odd as it may sound). But the story of Medivh, who was destined for greatness but haunted by madness and burdened by more power than he could bear, makes for a compelling film, IMO. Plus, it gives the entire Warcraft 1 story screen time...Ner'zul (spelling?) could make his appearance along with Gul'dan (the partial source of Medivh's insanity). And you got the sudden invasion of the Horde from the Black Morass, the fall of Azeroth, Sir Lothar's desperate exodus to Lordaeron.

It could make for a more engrossing (and tragic) LotR...assuming that the characters are given justice.

IMO, the story of Medivh and his mother (the last Guardian of Tirisfall) > Arthas. Not to say that the Arthas story isn't good, it's just that you get so much with the Medivh story (Sargaeras, Gul'dan, the Horde, the Alliance, the betrayal of Alterac, the fall of Lothar, the rise of Uther Lightbringer, the enslavement of the Dragon Queen, Deathwing becoming a renegade, etc).

Sorry, WC1-3 fanboyism gush.

Not much of a WoW fan, though. Strange as that may be.

edit:

I also hope that maybe, one day, we will get to see a quality Legacy of Kain film. Those games played like rich novels that you just couldn't stop reading.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The issue with the Medivh stuff is that you need to establish far too much less-apparent backstory. That is, you can't tell Medivh's story without going into the history of the Guardians of Tirisfall; the sundering of the Outland; the portal, and Aegwynn. Not to mention the Burning Legion!

However, I think Medivh sought out Gul'dan after he was possessed by Sargeras?

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It's been a while, but I believe that when Medivh's power was awakening inside him as a youth, he was actually hearing Gul'dan's voice in his head.

As for Medivh's story being too layered for a film...you could just do a brief prologue with Aegwynn hooking up with Medivh's father (forgot the guy's name but I recall him being the high conjurer of Azeroth) and vanishing shortly after his birth. The story could flash through important parts of Medivh's childhood before finally arriving to the major conflict of the Horde invasion.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    His father is Nieles Aran, who was a boss in the 10man Kharazan instance in The Burning Crusade. He was also the court conjurer of Stormwind.

I just think you would have to explain too much in Medivh's world, because he opened the portal that effectively let the Horde and Legion in. Whereas in Arthas' time, it's all established and normal so you can treat it was normal.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    ...but...Medivh :(