main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sci-Fi is always likely to have plot problems, because mostly they don't obey the laws of science.

I liked Star Trek very much, in fact I think it shows how the PT should have been done.

2. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Super 8. I've seen it just a few moments ago for the very first time!
    And it was there. Everything i want. The emotion, the excitement, the adventure...Boom!

In Abrams i trust. ;)

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think it's great that every Star Trek trailer and Star Trek into Darkness itself will now be scrutinized by Star Wars fans. It was Star Wars that helped get Star Trek the Motion Picture made, and of course John Dykstra built the Dykstraflex motion control system for the original Star Wars then moved on to Star Trek the Motion Picture. And ILM did visual effects work for Trek II. I like this fluid connection between the looks of Star Wars and Trek.

I kind of hope that Abrams makes SW look a bit like his two Trek films. He nailed the Cantina scene in the first Trek.

4. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    ILM also did the effects for Trek III and IV.

V - as it turned out was done by some crappy company (the results speak for themselves) as ILM were too busy that year (Indy 3; Batman '89, etc).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    To a dangerous place this line of thought takes you. :)

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw the tv spot for the brand new Star Trek and it actually looks kind of good and extremely action packed. Give's me hope for this!

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I made that point long ago in this thread; JJ is not the dictator of this.

Fortunately (IMO), they both seem to want to keep the details of the movie secret.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Abrams has had a big, guiding hand in everything he's been involved in (he didn't just have the script for Star Trek slapped in front of him randomly one day, the writers are a part of his production team and they consulted in the story stage). I seriously doubt now he'd suddenly just be like "Yessir!" and go and do exactly what Lucasfilm says he will do and not have any input ever on anything. That's just silly.

Hey, I'm all for a lockdown on spoilers but I will admit to being a tad entitled when it comes to harmless BTS stuff when the flick is in production. Like on the Star Trek sequel there wasn't a single shot put out of something as relatively harmless as, y'know, the crew on the bridge. That's something for the fans but isn't exactly a spoiler, y'know what I mean? Heck, when the spy shot of Catwoman in Dark Knight Rises leaked the very next day WB / Nolan put out a nice publicity shot of her. Spoilers are bad but morsels for the fans are what keeps 'em happy but Abrams is, like, the iron curtain. Nadda. Zip. Zero. Kind of a bummer when there's a fresh Star Wars movie being made and they were rather cool at showing non-spoilery BTS stuff during the prequel production.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That'll depend on his contract. As far as I understand--I could be totally wrong here--typically with these big studio productions, directors get hired to film a script that's been approved and put through its paces and so forth. At that point it's not up to the director to change that willy-nilly. So I'm not sure he'll have input on the script.

10. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Of course. I knew everything about the prequel movies before seeing them. I got to enjoy those movies for eight years instead of seven hours.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well Star Trek is a 100+ million dollar studio production and Bad Robot built it from the bottom up. Sure, there is already a story/script there but I can't believe Abrams would just run off and shoot the whole thing word for word, scene by scene, without a writer/director like himself working at least with the writer a bit beforehand. Like, let's assume the first draft is done, pretty darn skippy Abrams, since he's directing the movie and all, will work with the writer for another draft or two. It's not as if they would do it without any of his input whatsoever.

12. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I also saw the new Star trek trailer and it looks like he toned down the lens flares.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    From what I understand, he doesn't threaten anyone, and there are no legal ramifications involved, no signed no-disclosure agreements (he said this in an interview). Then again, I would tend to think that if you get caught leaking, you don't have much of a chance of being involved in another Abrams movie (and he probably has some blacklist power in the industry).

For me, the trailers are enough to wet the appetite, but usually not enough to wreck anything.

Fortunately for folks like you, JJ has never made a movie of this magnitude, and it will be less likely than ever that he will keep things so locked down. He will have an army of Star Wars fanatics stalking him and his crew's every move. They will be harassing SW execs, actors, and movie makers of any level of involvement. There will be covert operations, and double agents trying to get inside for info. SW fans will be in trees with binoculars and planting spying devices everywhere, not to mention hacking into computers and cyber-stalking. It will get uglier than JJ ever imagined, and the leaks will come.

I will make a fairwell thread on this site in 9-12 months, and hide my eyes and ears every time I see a SW fanatic...

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I guess that is one way to look at it. Personally, I don't get much out of finding out a long time in advance; it would be kind of like knowing who was going to win a sporting event; that would take all of the fun and enjoyment out of watching it for me.

Also, this is clearly different than the PT. That was just watching a story play out that we already knew, like LOTR (not in nearly that much detail, but you get what I mean). We already knew that Anakin Joins the emperor and turns, has twins he doesn't know about, the mom dies, the Jedi are murdered except Yoda and Obi Won, etc. We knew all that from the OT without any spoilers.

But we are totally in the dark as to what will hit us with Episode 7. I envision the night of Episode 7 to be an amazing journey, where I go to the theater not knowing what in the world is about to hit me; there would be such intense suspense and thrill in that (which would be decreased by spoilers). I know there is no avoiding the cast and a trailer or 2, but I want it to stay there. After that, I will catch up on all the details, and go see it several times to get all of the nuances that are always in these movies that you don't catch at first.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, personally I think there's a difference between spy set photos (which I'm fairly neutral on) and officially released BTS / publicity photos, which Star Wars movies have done a-plenty when the PT was in production. Abrams doesn't go for that. Like, I can't see him signing off on "Hyperspace" style BTS features while shooting to be released during production.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ Huh, had to admit I was a tad confused by that quote-sourcing up there! I'm frightened. Hold me.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  18. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Some people on this thread are throwing around words like "Treatments" and "Lens Flare" like some eighteenth century catholic warning people about those "evil poisons" in the vaccine or that "dangerous doctrine of evolution"

Jedi Merkurian and Angel Eyes like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I've heard that the treatment calls for extra lens flares. Blasphemy! :)

20. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Like you did by the lake on Naboo? ;)

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Co-signed.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So long ago, when all we had was our ... wait, dammit, this is a public forum, isn't it?

VMeran likes this.
  23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    To those wanting *and feeling sure* there are gunna be leaks and spoilers: Idiots are gunna take advantage of that. For every factual leak there's gunna be dozens of fake ones which are just made to either piss fans off or get attention. And also lets not forget how the Star Trek cast has even been trolling fans *mostly about Cumberbatch's character*. I wouldn't be suprised if the new SW cast messes with fans and sends them in wrong directions. Just be warned...the coming months are gunna be horrid and in the end we probably wont know fact from fiction. Its gunna be epic[face_devil]

24. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I still remember fondly how we dissected every frame from the PT trailers and tried to analyze it. Back in the AOTC days there was a shot of Anakin falling in the Coruscant traffic and people speculated that the lights below were actually streams of lava and that the final duel would take place there ( made sense back then, after all there was lava beneath the Emperor's palace in the original book adaption). I look forward to this. It would be great though if JJ would do video blogs like Peter Jackson (but PJ is his own boss and can do what he wants;))...

25. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    There's a certain recent movie which was plagued with fake info before its release: Prometheus. Someone even took the time to write a 90-page script, a fan fiction, and release it on the internet somewhere. For months, everyone and their mother believed that it was the actual script. The real deal. People started guessing, criticizing, commenting. Some liked the *leaked* script, others hated it. It was just out of control. Then the first trailer was released and a million voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.