main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured he was lying the moment he told the story and when he said the above statement, I was thinking Anakin you are a complete idiot

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Wouldn't surprise me at all.

3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I hope he is dead, as I want a new threat. Something different.

I'll miss Palpatine/Emperor. So evil and amazing...

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    No, his ghost can appear, just cuz FOURTH QUARTER CONVERSION TO THE LIGHT SIIIIIDE!

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Actually, it's interesting to think of how Star Wars would have been different if GL started with the PT era and went through the OT.

The only change you'd make would be to show Anakin dying in the volcano/lava whatever and you presume he's dead, you wouldn't show Sidious putting him in the Vader suit etc.

Then you'd still have a massive surprise when you find out that Vader is really Anakin in the OT.

I foresee something similar with Sidious in the ST, you believe him to be dead until maybe Ep 8 it's revealed that he's alive after all.

Dra--- and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    *facepalm
    yes

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    You also would have to remove Anakin's Sith naming scene so audiences wouldn't connect Vader to him

8. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I know Palpatine cloning isn't new, but they could show Palpatine requesting a clone of himself or several clones of himself from Kamino and then with this new movie, we have the grown up clones fighting the good guys...ok, that sounded cooler in my head than when I read what I just typed, but it would connect the PT to the ST.

9. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Seriously. Grow an imagination.

Palpy is toast. Get over it.

Lady_Misty and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  10. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Hopefully, he'll stay dead as he always should have.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I always thought Dark Empire was quite silly.

Lady_Misty and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  12. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I would like to see something vaguely, if not completely and utterly, lockish or (at the least) lock-like appearing here in this space.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  13. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    Because he didn't have his lightsaber on him. He lost that along with his mechanical hand after Luke chopped it off.

StoneRiver likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    As JJ will be directing, I've got this advice for him regarding Palpatine - He's dead Jim!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    As much as I love the Emperor, he's gotta stay dead through the ST IMO.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  16. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    According to Gary Kutz, the producer of of the OT, the original storyline of ROTJ had Luke vanquishing Vader, but the Emperor escapes. Years later, when Luke is older he "catches up" with the Emperor. That's the old plot of the ST.

With the ST being made, I think there will be a lot of back peddling on Anakin being, "The Chosen One", "The Balance of the Force". It always made more sense to that one being Luke, not Anakin. It was rather a forced issue during the PT that it was Anakin. A potential *backdoor* Lucas slipped in was Yoda's statement in ROTS when replying to Obi Wan's statement that Anakin was the Chosen One, the Balance of the Force, "a prophecy that misread may have been". Mace nods in agreement. Though the Jedi had faith it was Anakin, there never is any final confirmation in statement that he was it.

17. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Palps
    is dead.
    You should have made a "pole" for this thread.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Palpatine, great though the character was, is dead. It was bad enough that the EU tried to take away the significance of Vader's act on the DS II in ROTJ, but it would be even worse if the new movies tried to do that.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Horrible choice, it would be.

eht13 likes this.
  20. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I really hope Palps is dead, that Anakin was the chosen one, and that the build-up to episode VI was what it was.

One thing I loathe in film series is when they ruin the conclusion of the previous movie.

The second and third Pirates of the Caribbean films, for example, ruined Barbossa's death scene and in effect the end of the first film for me. Did Barbossa have an awesome death scene? Nope! Did Will and Elizabeth live happily ever after? Nope! They could have easily made sequels and preserved the ending of the first film (I point to A New Hope followed by ESB and ROTJ as an example of this) but instead they fudged things up. Barbossa came back from the dead and became a good guy (well, as good as a pirate can be), and Will & Elizabeth's relationship got very very complicated.

Don't get me wrong, I want Episode VII to reveal new things about the central characters, but I don't want revelations that make the efforts of previous films all for nothing. The Empire doesn't need to be completely destroyed, but I'd like to see Palpatine gone for good, and the Empire no longer a super power. No more weapons at the scale of the DSII for the Imperials, please.

Lady_Misty and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This isn't Heroes where every single character can be resurrected, killed off, then resurrected again over 9,000 times. He's dead and buried.

kainee and Lady_Misty like this.
  22. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    He'll be back to reclaim what he had. If the force was truly balanced at the end of VI or the threat was truly over, then there would be no need for VII. For a story to continue, the threat needs to remain/return. I don't think SW is starting over. There needs to be a story arc and it stands to reason that the same villain or threat needs to be present in all 9 films. ROTJ is only 2/3rds of the way through the story. If they do 12 films, then it's only halfway through. I think Sidious or Plagius has to be the villain due to the rules of story-telling and mythology. It's not lack of imagination. If VII is intended to be a fresh start, then it should be set a long time after the events of VI with a new cast etc. I don't want the films to turn in to the EU with a new villain popping up every few stories ad infinitum.

kainee, Skywalker2B, DV75 and 2 others like this.
  23. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I agree. It's obvious the Sith and Jedi have different abilities in their use of the Force.

Sideous claimed that Plagueis taught him everything he knew before he killed him.

No possessions. No clones.

Is it possible for a dying Sith to *re-manifest* himself in a predetermined location of space and time?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Luke fits the ( at this point non-canon ) Son of the Suns prophecy rather than the Chosen One prophecy. Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians; Luke was conceived in the usual way.

25. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Well, one way or another, we will know.

If Ian McDiarmid is cast - there is your answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.