main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Obi-Wan in TCW Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Seerow: :D Glad you agree. There's no way Palps won't work this into his plans and no way Filoni would waste the opportunity to heap more "consequences" and guilt onto Obi-Wan. I wouldn't necessarily mind except that no one else gets "consequence-ed" (my new word. :D)

Edited because of new post that snuck in:

Slowpokeking:
    For the Force's sake, I and about ten other posters know why you don't like him and have done so for several days - you say this in just about every post. You don't like Obi-Wan. Got it. You think he should have set aside his discipline - got it (and what do you mean by discipline, anyway?). You think he inflamed Maul into killing Satine rather than holding her over Obi-Wan's head long enough for some 3rd party to rescue Satine - got it. You think Obi-Wan was too proud to bring Anakin and it's his hubris that got Satine killed because had Anakin come along, there's a better chance that Satine would have been saved - got it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Consequences would kill alot of my favorite characters, but Obi-wan will be fine. =b

3. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    And he throws the Separatists in there for the lulz. Three way war! Actually, four way war, with red mandos vs. Bo's mandos vs. clones vs. drones. The only thing that could be sweeter for Palpatine is if the common Republican citizen actually gave a damn about the troops on the front. Which... Palps could play up. Media would be all "The Jedi dragged us into this conflict, and our brave soldiers are suffering *pan over MASH full of troopers with battle wounds*"

I mean, it's not really PG, but you get my drift.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've thought about the Separatists deciding to fight the Republic. It'd be kinda cool if they decided to play hero when the Republic screws up.

5. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    If they play "hero", they'll be playing hero only with the expectation that, to keep things PG here, the Mandos are very weakened when the dust settles.

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not asking Obi Wan to do it, but send some agents to do the investigation and see what's going on.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I haven't seen this in the show. I saw a faction that got run over by a relatively small number of thugs.

I've never thought Mandalore was of any importance, that's partly why I've found all their episodes so boring, they're a non-factor.

8. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    No, it’s not human nature to miss someone you’ve never known. You can have a desire or a longing to know someone or something. You can’t miss the father you never know but you can miss the idea of your father. And it can never be as powerful as actually missing a person.

So? At that time Yoda’s opinion was of no importance.

If you bothered to read my previous posts you wouldn’t be asking this.

I could say the same to you. Fact: Vader lived (a miss is as good as a mile). Fact: without Luke, Vader would not have returned from the Dark side and killed Sidious.

Keep the EU-discussion where it belongs.

Welcome to the real world.

No, it’s not fact, it’s your personal opinion.

Believe whatever you want.

So? It was you who said Obi-Wan and Yoda were wrong in claiming Luke was their only hope, and I merely pointed out that they were right because it was through Luke’s actions that the Sith were destroyed. That it didn’t happen the way Yoda and Obi-Wan expected is besides the point.

I would love to, but having read your posts in different parts of this forum has made me doubt how much interest you really have in discussing anything.

Anyway, I think we can safely agree to disagree and leave it at that.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because Satine's way is too extreme.

They are one of the most powerful factions in the galaxy and was important ally of the Sith in the Great Sith War, Manadalorian War, First and Second Galactic War, that's why Maul wanted to rule it.

10. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    None of those other wars matter, at all.

You keep saying they are one of the most powerful factions, but I haven't seen it at all.

Honestly, the EU doesn't count, at all. It's clear the EU's take on Mandalore and the Mandalorians is not the same as TCW's take. Jason Fry's retcon simply doesn't match up with what's on screen.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because Satine wants to rule it differently, even in TCW Maul wanted to rule it for this reason, it was also mentioned many times about the Mandalorians' tradition.

BTW TCW is also EU, just has a higher canon level.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    They're not going to change from helpless to "one of the most powerful factions" overnight, or any time soon. They don't have a military to speak of.

Tradition means little if it's been dead for centuries.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They are, it has been told many many times. They are helpless due to Satine's way and the plot is too rushed.

And it's not dead for centuries, before Satine came to power they had a big civil war between the True Mandalorians and the Death Watch.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's not like the movie came out first before most of the EU of its era, so we don't have to look at the EU when we are discussing the movie. TCW is different, Many many elements, characters and factions of TCW came from other EU(with quite a few retcon), if you want to know and undetstand them really well you have to take a look at other EU.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    There are no "True Mandalorians". There is only what we've seen in TCW.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No it's a group of the Supercommandos, Jango Fett was their last leader.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lets get back onto the topic of Obi-wan.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Okay: back to Obi-Wan happily.

The animation of Obi-Wan's distress, shown through his face, was wonderfully expressive. Anyone who says Obi-Wan is a cold fish without feeling needs to watch this episode.

FARK2005, laloga, hlc88 and 2 others like this.
  19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Who said that? The look in his face and the sadness in his eye...

20. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Mmm, sadly 'fine' is a relative term :(

Apparently it's no longer enough for him to lose all his 'family' and his only home, see the Republic fall and the Sith take over, discover that his best friend has turned to the Dark side and have to fight him, then spend 20 years in exile on Tatooine - Filoni has decided that he needs to suffer more! The problem with the 'baddies' trying to make Obi-Wan feel guilty is that it seems to work. He already feels responsible for enough trouble and now TCW is heaping even more on his head. OK so we can see what Filoni is trying to do there but it will backfire if the viewers start to agree with the bad guys [face_worried]

laloga and Valairy Scot like this.
  21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I can't cite any one post in any one spot. It's been implied in a lot of posts on Obi-Wan, in some Movie-PT threads, some Movie-Saga threads...some old board threads dating to the time of the movies...some Anakin fan club threads in the past... It's been said about the PT Jedi in general as well as Obi-Wan in particular. Some of the more common complaints are along the lines of:

If he'd only be more like Qui-Gon who connected with people and understood them
    If he'd only been more like Qui-Gon and listened to the Force, not the Senate/Council/whatever and did the right thing rather than the dutiful thing
    If he'd only praised Anakin from time to time rather than always putting him down and criticizing him
    If he'd only understood emotion, he wouldn't have denied Anakin seeing his mother, denied him Padme
    If he'd only understood Anakin, he wouldn't have played on his trust and love by pretending to be dead (Rako Hardeen)
    If he's only been less sarcastic and more understanding
    If he'd only blah blah and blah (and a lot of the "he" was a dual complaint for Obi-Wan & the Order above - especially the first)

The Shadow Emperor and laloga like this.
  22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ummm. :confused:

Unless you mean the show will retcon these guys out of existence.

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    As I see Filoni sees it, Obi-Wan wanting to oversee Anakin's son is just not a "good enough" reason for Obi-Wan to exile himself to Tatooine. No character could wish to do that - no, he must want to escape his past, a past he largely created through his own mistakes.

Bah.

laloga and Eryndil like this.
  24. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    Oh God, that was my favorite one! The memories! I had forgotten all about that. Yes, that's right, Anakin turned to the darkside because Obi-Wan didn't give him enough attaboys and he had no one to turn to.

laloga, Eryndil and CT-867-5309 like this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Anakin really wanted to seek for a father, but Obi Wan is more like his brother than father due to the age and other issue such as he never trained padawan before, Qui Gon is more like a father figure. Also Palpatine used this gap to get close to Anakin and make himself like a father figure before Anakin. He also used the PT Jedi's problem, to expose the weakness of both the PT Jedi and Anakin, to make Anakin displeased with the Jedi and thus stay closer to him, as we can see in EP III. Obi Wan is a PT Jedi, he got emotion, even knew some disciplines are wrong but could not behave like Qui Gon, and he's no match for Palpatine over manipulation.