main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 3D releases postponed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarkEagle, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Crap!

3. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    I agree!

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    This is really disappointing, especially after seeing how amazing Episode II looked at Celebration. I thought TPM 3D was somewhat disappointing, but the AOTC preview completely blew me away. I was really looking forward to seeing it in its entirety. :(

To be honest, postponing the release of Episodes II and III makes no sense at all to me. They must have been pretty far along in production considering they were showing clips of them last year. You'd think it would be a waste of time and money to postpone the payoff from all that work. Besides, if VII is still slated to come out in 2015/2016 it would make sense to complete the PT this year. That way, next year and/or the year after could be devoted to the OT. I can't imagine LFL would want to postpone the release of the original movies past Episode VII.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Shame. Great shame.

It does rather suggest that the whole sequel trilogy, in actual fact, was a bit of an afterthought: a crucial, last-minute bargaining chip in getting Disney to agree to the lucrative sale.

Because in that notice, they're essentially blaming the sequel trilogy for hogging Lucasfilm commitments, which might just be some political move (translation: we have no confidence in those wretched prequels and we'd rather not release them and embarrass The Mouse), or it might be a whopping clue that the whole 3D thing was started long before Lucas seriously considered doing a sequel trilogy for real; hence, it was very late in the game that he whipped the sequel trilogy up.

Either way... sad, but fascinating.

eht13 and fistofan1 like this.
  6. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    I find it interesting that, just a few weeks or so ago, SW.com had a featured article highlighted on the main page about the September and October releases. In addition, the latest Insider (which arrived just a few days ago in my mailbox) mentioned ROTS coming out earlier than expected. This all points to Cryogenic 's theory that LFL and Disney are making this up as they go along.

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    They only announced the release dates on November 29, 2012 -- just two months ago:

http://starwars.com/news/attack-of-...th-3d-theatrical-release-dates-confirmed.html

(Check that link and grab that page before it's pulled!)

So, apparently, depending on whether your calendar says November or January, you might get two entirely opposite pieces of news.

The Mayans were half right. The world wasn't going to end in December 2012, but LFL were probably deciding to kill two prequel releases -- count 'em, two! -- they'd just promised were coming out.

What a gut punch! Do LFL and Disney know their earhole from their nostril? Up is down and left is right! What are these jokers gonna come up with next?

Seems like their internal communication may not be the best. Something rotten at the ranch, maybe. Pluto took a dump in the lake and George got grumpy. That's all this is! Wait and see!!

8. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    This is most unfortunate. The timing suggests it has something to do with downplaying the whole 3D thing since JJ Abrahms is notoriously too lazy to shoot feature films in 3D.

9. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm gutted about this. I was really looking forward to seeing Clones again at the cinema, but hey ho.

I wonder if this means no future OT 3D releases?

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date."

Postponing is one thing but this makes no mention of rescheduling for a future date... which is what "postponement" really means. They could be announcing new dates at some point soon, but this unfortunately sounds more like the other five films may never be released in 3D and they just don't want to say so yet. I guess we'll know when they "post further information about (their) 3D release plans at a later date". That would be a shame given that AOTC and ROTS must have been largely finished conversion-wise, and of course it's bad news for anyone that wanted to see them or the OT in 3D theatrically.

11. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    Thank JarJar.
    3D has become a bane to good cinema.=D=

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    While I looked forward to seeing a Star Wars film in theaters again, I have to say that I'd much rather it be the 2-D Episode VII then one of the PT in 3-D. It's disappointing news, but not heartbreaking.

13. DarthRuss

DarthRuss Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    I hope J.J. keeps up his love for IMAX for Star Wars.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope "postponed" doesn't = canceled.
    Perhaps LFL thought 3D rereleases would help promote the ST but Disney disagreed.

Anyway, why would 3D rereleases hold the ST back? Wouldn't they HELP market the ST if anything?

15. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    That's a shame. TPM3D was nothing special but there's parts of AOTC and ROTS that could be mindblowing in 3D. To say nothing of things like the Star Destroyer opening and Trench Run.

Hopefully it's just postponed and not flat out cancelled.

fistofan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Even though it wasn't flat out cancelled I'm still very upset. I was extremely excited for the moves (especially AOTC) and now we have to wait even longer :'(

darklordoftech and fistofan1 like this.
  17. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    QFT. While TPM was a disappointment, the AOTC footage I saw at Celebration knocked my socks off. Things actually seemed to come out of the screen, notably Anakin when he jumped out of the airspeeder in AOTC. It was a complete turnaround from Episode I last year, and I'm really disappointed that we won't get to experience it. :(

18. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    It seems like they would be able to release these anyway, I mean it seems like they would be finished at least with AOTC by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.