main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just wondering. I find this topic to be very interesting. I defiantly do believe in them but have never had a paranormal experience.

2. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    there are so many stories of children seeing spirits and ghosts.

Id imagine 99% of these stories are all bogus while there is a small 1% which is very hard to explain..

If a spirit is just energy, which everyone is made up of, whos to say that energy cannot be trapped here in this universe. In physics isn't all energy from everything stored some place in the universe. Or at least travels into its own dimensions.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Nah, I believe in summer dreamers instead.

MrZAP, Summer Dreamer, jp-30 and 2 others like this.
  4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Never seen them, don't believe in them.

5. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    heres the thing, in all cultures around the world there are different classifications for what these terms are called. Some say spirit, some ghost, some your consciousness, some say its your energy, some your soul, even some say its your "mind."

If the universe we live in stories everything, all energy ever expelled, how is it not possible a living being made up of energy is also stored when they die and their energy leaves their body.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    what

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I think the most logical explanation for ghosts/spirits/whatever you call them is very vivid dreams, the kind where you can't tell if you're awake or dreaming. Early man had those types of dreams and couldn't explain them, so they came up with ghosts to explain why the dreamer was talking to his dead parent/sibling/etc., and the idea that these were visitations by ghosts stuck.

8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

just what I said... isn't all energy that's expelled in the universe saved. Meaning the information is technically still out there somewhere.

9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    no questioning that, but how do you explain it when people aren't sleeping. especially children and animals..

its knkown that when animals are in areas that are supposed to have paranormal activity the animals almost always act strange.

10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I have seen way more **** than any of you could possibly take in.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I...don't think you are interpreting the conservation of energy correctly. What energy are we talking about here?

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    MAYBE ANIMALS ARE THE PARANORMAL BEINGS EH EH

13. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Energy can be converted from one form to another however. Hence how you can take the chemical energy stored in the bonds of glucose and utilize it to power your brain. The same is true in reverse -- when you die, the energy in your body can be utilized by other living creatures to fuel their metabolic needs.

Similarly, the brain is very capable of producing illusions and hallucinations. Schizophrenia, for instance, is a powerful example of how the brain can create something that isn't physically there. It's actually quite easy to trick the brain and mislead it.

Animals also have other (and sometimes more heightened) senses than humans do. So it's not so much that they are sensing "paranormal" activity so much that they might be picking up on a danger before humans do.

But I digress. I don't believe in the "paranormal" in the slightest. Just because something isn't understood at present doesn't mean it's beyond the realm of science to comprehend.

MrZAP, DarkSapiens and epic like this.
  14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    all energy.. That's what E=mc2 means.. if im not mistaken

everything in the universe is energy, whether it be in a physical world of matter or the energy expended by the abstract of our minds.

15. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I do agree with what you have to say but what I was mainly talking about was that most physicists believe that everything in the universe is information, or data and its stored in this universe..

Wasn't that the entire crux behind what Leonard Suskin was talking about when speaking on black holes. Remember years back he disagreed with Stephen Hawking on this subject.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Last year I woke up in the middle of the night and saw someone standing over my bed. I threw a pillow at him to Defend Mah Property. The rational explanation is that he was a ghost.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What do you mean the 'abstract of our minds?' There is no "energy" there, at least in terms of physics.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You mean you didn't shoot him with the loaded AR-15 any responsible citizen keeps beneath their pillow?

Darth Guy likes this.
  20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    really?? the mind is known to expel energy. I just watched a special on it on the science channel. This isn't looked at as taboo in the science community anymore...

Many scientists who study quantum mechanics are now applying it to the mind..

Brain waves are believed to travel between space, possibly between different dimensions, the same way sub atomic particles travel and how the laws of physics works differently on them

21. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Just out of interest, but is there a name for the hypothesis that the everything is information and that it is stored in this universe?

Because it seems to be a notion that's treading almost of philosophical grounds. But I'll freely admit I'm no physicist.

I would think, though, that it might run counter to the second law of thermodynamics which says that the entropy of an isolated system (which the universe is thought to be) never decreases and must always either increase or stay the same until it reaches equilibrium. That's why the "heat death of the universe" has been suggested as our ultimate fate, where both computation and life are no longer possible.

22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    that wouldn't make sense considering lss than 1-2% of all murders are caused by that weapon. but I do not wanna get into that in this thread.

especially since this is a fun thread speaking on physics and the universe.

23. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Voted No.

jp-30 likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Quantum mind theory is extremely fringe, actually. Tegmark more or less slaughtered it back in 2000.

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I really don't know where to begin here.

1) I know of no peer reviewed source that supports the brain releasing energy after death. I even looked it up. Now if you've got some peer reviewed journal for me to read, I'd like to see it.
    2) If we went off of what the History channel says, everything that ever happened was aliens. Why are we going off of what the science channel says?
    3) You're grossly misusing 'dimension' here.