main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who exactly knew Chancellor Palpatine was Darth Sidious?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yes Grievous called him Lord Sidious, but that's the name that all of the Sith and Separatists called him, and Grievous was never told that he was the Chancellor of the Galactic Republic.

2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I had a pretty good idea it was him.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, during the kidnapping of Palpatine (fleshed out in Labyrinth of Evil)- it's pretty clear that Grievous doesn't know that they are one and the same.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Maul knew without a doubt, in the Darth Plagueis novel he said that he was fully aware Sidious went by the guise as Senator Palpatine, he also knew that there would be a war to destroy the Jedi. Nothing really more than that though.

Sate Pestage also knew.

5. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm confidant that Grievous did not know about Palpatine and Sidious because Grievous is really just a tool of no particular significance but there is one strange discrepancy. At the prelude to the battle of Utapau as the Republic forces arrive Grievous looks at Obi-Wan and says "Army or not, surely you must realise - you are doomed!" The CIS are losing the war. Grievous is losing the duel. I can't see why Grievous would have said that unless he was aware of Order 66 and if Grievous was aware of that then I think it's a given that he would have had to be aware that Palpatine and Sidious are the same despite what the novel says.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It is made clear in Labyrinth of Evil that Grievous did not know. I think "you are doomed" is just typical arrogance. He can be a somewhat formidable opponent at times. At one point in TCW Obi-Wan ran away from him.

EDIT: Oops, someone already mentioned LOE.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree, Grievous did not know.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I would say Darth Maul and Darth Tyranus knew, but nobody else. I just don't imagine Palpatine would trust any non-Sith with that kind of info. At least not before he's declared himself Emperor, that is.

And besides, if he needed anyone of his aides to do something for him, he would just suggest it through mind control. So why tell anyone anything if he can do that, especially something important as his alter ego?

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In the EU Sate Pestage definitely knew he was a Sith, as anakinfansince1983 and KED12345 have said.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think that in-universe, Sidious' hood is supposed to be an effective disguise, so I doubt Dooku or Grievous knew based on Sidious' appearance.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Grievous, no- but Dooku was coordinating the war from the other side with Sidious's help, was trained to Dark Lord by Sidious, etc.

In RoTS the novel- they're talking on Grievous's ship. plotting exactly how they're going to make Anakin fall. And at this point Sidious is sitting cuffed to the chair, ready to play the role of "kidnapped Palpatine".

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Then again, it's possible he trusted nobody with his secret. In fact, every time you see him with his apprentice, he's wearing his hood over his head.

13. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Sidious hood isn't a very effective disguise, at least not to a person that stands directly in front of him.
    So Maul and Dooku would know as they had numerous face to face meetings.

Nute, Griev and other who saw him via hologram would normally be able to recognize him but they seem not to know.
    Which might be a bit risky for Palpatine in the opening fight of RotS. If Griev was the one who grabbed him then if he is cornered he might decide to kill Palpatine rather than let him escape. Sure he was probably told that Palpatine must be taken alive but in the heat of battle accidents happen.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    It's supposed to be the Clark Kent disguise effect. Not only does he hide his eyes, he changes his voice, too.

15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    In-universe, it is.

16. Sith_Kingpin

Sith_Kingpin Jedi Padawan

Feb 4, 2013
    From Maul's words in TCW, he definitely knows Sidious' true identity. Also, Dooku does as well. Sidious informs his apprentices of his identity as he does with Anakin in ROTS. The Jedi can sense the Dark Side around Sidious, but because he clouds their abilities with concealment, they don't know the source of the darkness and are left in the dark about it lol.

17. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Who said Maul was dumb? I know for a fact that during Maul's childhood, he knew nothing of Sidious's background. Once he earned the title of Sith Lord, I'm sure he learned more.

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No one he was dumb, but there quite a few who think he is. There is a lot of time for him to figure it out between his early years up to sithhood for him to figure it out.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I always thought Dooku knew, but AOTC and ROTS don't really make it clear if he did or not.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    They make it sufficiently clear IMO; it's implied by Dooku's reaction to Palpatine telling Anakin to kill him in ROTS, and seeing them together in the flesh at the end of AOTC.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and rumsmuggler like this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, Dooku's reaction to Palpatine telling Anakin to kill him can be far more easily explained by the fact that Palpatine instructed Anakin to kill him; and at the end of AOTC, Palpatine was wearing his cowl over his head, which in the SW universe appears to be a sufficient disguise (and sometimes in the real world as well).

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wore a cowl over my head, but people still knew who I was.:(

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It appears to be a sufficient disguise as far as the Neimoidians are concerned; they're aliens and are only seeing him over a grainy hologram connection. It's also sufficient for him to lurk on various balconies and streets of Coruscant anonymously, as we saw in TPM. But I tend to think that when AOTC establishes Dooku as "Lord Tyranus" and has him meeting with Sidious in person, it shows they were in close contact and makes it IMO highly unlikely that Dooku did not know.

24. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Hence "in the Star Wars universe."

25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    TCW keeps it ambiguous as well, so I don't see that as unlikely at all.