main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Jedi in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LawJedi, Nov 1, 2012.

1. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    You're basically quoting a Tim Zahn scene, but that sounds to me like having an FBI director taking time to serve on a small claims court. But shouldn't a Jedi's focus be more... macro? I mean, yeah, a secret servive agent just happens to be at a convenience store when its being robbed, he might choose to act, even if its not his jurisdiction. But I've never gotten the impression that Jedi were micro managers.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Unless someone in a cantina tells Luke Skywalker he doesn't like him. Then the Jedi will **** their **** up. :)

3. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Darth_Articulate likes this.
  4. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Actually thats exactly where I'm getting that scene from. I remember reading that scene in the book and I really liked it. I'd like to see Jedi do stuff like that on screen. Heck even the Clone Wars show would be nice if they showed the Jedi like that.

5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

In the short run, yes Luke's personal connections helped him but he also narrowly walked the knife's edge and could have very easily fallen to the dark side. A lot of Jedi wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation as is seen in the EU previous to the PT era which is the whole reason the PT era Jedi had those rules regarding attachments.

EDIT: Say what you will about the dogmatic view of the PT Jedi but the they had a remarkably small number of their members fall to the darkside when compared to the previous times.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think frame one of Ep. 7 kicks off and Luke is Grand Master at the rebuilt Jedi Temple on Courscant with a fully functioning order with one master for each Padawan along with remote controlled droids to train younglings and a specific Jedi Master whose entire job is to look over the Jedi Archives, etc.etc. is exactly all that feasible in 40-odd years, nor would it be all the dramatic a way to open the flick. Frankly, I want to see Luke struggle and downright screw up with a limited number of Jedi, while he has doubts trying to pass on what he has learned. If the flick kicks off and number and functioning Order of the Jedi are back to the levels there were in TPM, that would be a big cheat for the audience.

7. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    No, not necessarily. He could have a fully funcioning Order...but not at the level that we see in TPM. I agree that it shouldn't be that big in only 30 or so years, but surely by this time there should be at least a dozen of them.

8. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Why just Jedi? Why not Sith? I'd much rather see a pile of Sith.

9. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    yeah I think people forget that before TPM, the Sith were extinct for a Milena....thats a pretty good run of relatively peaceful times

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    They weren't extinct, they tricked the Jedi.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The point is Luke disproved the "no attachment" rule. He actually disproved several rules of the old Jedi order. He was raised by a family, had strong emotional bonds with his friends and Father, and didn't begin training until adulthood. Yet, he didn't fall to the darkside. The Emperor was wrong. Luke's faith in his friends wasn't his weakness, it was his strength.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. A pretty fair case was made for that in Star Wars On Trial- Ben & Yoda may have been his mentors, but it was going against their advice that won the day for him.

13. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm of the opinion that Yoda saw the writing on the wall, even if it was on his deathbed. His specific language was that Luke had to "confront" his father.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda, maybe. Ben's response to "I can't kill my own father" was "then the Emperor has already won- you were our last hope".

In ESB it's phrased as "only a fully trained Jedi with the force as his ally will conquer Vader and his Emperor."

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Which is arguably exactly what happens.

Although generally, I agree with the "Luke disproved the PT Jedi's dogma" view.

LawJedi likes this.
  16. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    For all intents and purposes they were extinct.....they were no threat to the Republic for a very long time....

The good guys kept control of the galaxy for hundreds and hundreds of years,

and the Bad guys 20....

Sure you can always learn from your mistakes an look to improve, but Yoda and his Jedi's way of taking care of the galaxy was pretty successful

17. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Just because Luke was able to resist the temptation of the darkside doesn't mean it's the wise to allow all Jedi to have whatever attachments they want. That would lead to a lot of fallen Jedi. Compared to just a few in the PT era, considering the number of Jedi.

The Sith were in hiding from the Old Republic Jedi because they weren't able to defeat them conventionally. They ended up deceiving the Jedi as their only means to victory.

Jedi Knight Fett and Khriss_Peru like this.
  18. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    I always liked the way the eleves left middle earth at the end of LOTR i was wondering if we will see something similar with the jedi and the force. imagine a galaxy that no longer wants jedi or needs them, coupled with a lack of force sensitives in the galaxy and you could well see the end of the jedi. i like the idea that the Luke is a legendary figure in the galaxy but has vanished for the last 20 years. After numerous incidents, Leia sends her son Jacen to find him.He finds Luke, and he tells him that the force is leaving the galaxy and that he can no longer help.But like Elrond in LOTR he decides to help in the end and ends up taking Jacen as his apprentice. What you guys think?

19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    .....you mean feminine and blonde and shouting things that are obvious

:p

Pro Scoundrel and FinleySlade like this.
  20. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    No, they should be like jedi out in the great big ole galaxy. Not that we don't love LOTR, but they belong in their respective worlds...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    LOTR is not Star Wars and Star Wars is not LOTR. They are two completely different stories in completely different universes. Jedi are and should never be like the Elves. They are Jedi and should remain like Jedi.

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I completely agree. Actually, I have never understood why people often compare SW with LOTR.

Iefan likes this.
  23. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    i think that it is love that keeps someone alive, that is why luke see's anakin as a ghost. so he will reshape the order to allow love

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I like to think that the Force itself wanted rid of the Prequel Jedi Order, it allowed them to be blinded by the Dark Side. The idea of ROTJ is that both the Jedi and the Sith have been wiped out - Luke is a different kind of Jedi. A new kind.

Love should be allowed. Encouraged, even. Yes, the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few should still be taught to the Jedi, but that doesn't mean they can't have romantic relationships.

Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I know not everyone isn't fond of the EU, but I like how the Jedi Order Luke creates is void of those restrictions presented in the days of the Republic/PT. I think Love should be there, Jedi should be allowed to marry and carry on the legacy to new generations.

The old ways were very restricting and in a way might of led to the Jedi's extinction even without the likes of Order 66.