main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Do you believe in ghost/have had a paranormal experience?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    No they don't.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That is an incorrect reading of the theory - 11 dimensional M-theory posits (And is quite controversial in the theoretical community because it so posits) that a complete model of space-time requires an eleven dimensional array to fully express a particle's location, as opposed to the more common four dimensional model.

What that means is that at any given time the only way to completely express where/when a particle is to use an 11-tuple, which is a really fancy way of saying (x1,x2,x3, ... , x11). At no time could a particle ever leave one dimension because it must always have a coordinate for said dimension. But what string theorists postulate is that what we "see" as a non-collapsed probability distribution is actually a result of having three or four coordinates set to zero - they're still there, though. When we see a particle's position function collapse, they argue that that actually corresponds to it moving to a location where at least of those coordinates being nonzero - but it's still in the dimensions where it's zero.

It's nothing more extravagant than an extension of non-Euclidean geometries to an arbitrary n-vector space. Where the controversy originates is in whether or not that's actually a physical result, or just a nice model.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey, don't bring the Nice model into this. That has nothing to do with this, and I think makes a strong case.

But what if.... and stick with me here.... what if it COULD?

V-2 and Ramza like this.
  4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    that's very interesting...

I recently read an article having to do with CERN and how there could be another type of Higgs Boson particle. They said in the particle accelerator they noticed things like tiny black holes that could only form in a fifth dimension. and hat its adjoin particle would actually be created back in time. kinda hard to wrap your mind around.

scientists believe there are more particles than they think and that they possibly do traverse different dimensions.

That's why I love things like CERN and takes old thnking and turns it on its head. That's what science is supposed to do..

can I ask what your field is, I like science as a hobby, im not this great mathematician or anything but I grasp the concepts fairly easily. I just like to read up on the things happening in those fields and different ideas very smart people have

5. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    see the problem with you is you actually don't read anything on whats happening at CERN. all these things are being talked about by people a lot smarter than us... and their results are even quite intriguing.

what if?? is always a welcomed question in the science world.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    In my Grandmothers house you could hear someone walking around in the halls even though everyone was in their rooms asleep. And my Uncle claims to have seen a headless ghost in the house. A man did hang himself in the house before my Grandparents moved in.

In any case it never bothered me.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm a mathematics grad student who can't leave philosophy well enough alone specializing in formal logic. But back in undergrad my thesis work was in theoretical QM so it's still very near and dear to my heart.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    CERN hasn't taken any old thinking and turned it on its head. And no, science isn't supposed to do that. Science doesn't care whether it's toppling old theories or confirming them.

MrZAP, V-2 and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  9. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm decently well aware of what's going on at CERN. 'What if' isn't useful when its just a misapplication of a coordinate system, as noted by ramza.

10. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    my friend lived in a house there were people killed in a fire. There was a light fixture above the bed, above the mattress and he said quite often the light bulb would be found unscrewed on the mattress and broken to pieces.

plus his tv would turn on randomly and I was there once it happened. Not saying ghosts did it but man was it creepy.

11. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    this is where i disagree with you... all science is about turning the foundations around and finding out new information that changes old ways of thinking...

12. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    No it isn't. Science is about getting a more accurate understanding of the workings of the universe. In some cases, we build upon it, like the Big Bang. In some cases, we overturn it, like the aether. The point is we're always moving towards a more complete understanding. Not just blindly disproving stuff.

MrZAP, DarkSapiens and V-2 like this.
  13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    how could you blindly disprove anything????????????

so in essence its weeding out the incorrect for the correct, or what fits at that time.

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Clarification, blindly attempting to disprove stuff.

15. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm actually impressed by how respectful everyone has been. I've been in my share of these kinds of threads. Most of you have , for the most part, been respectful and mature. A real conversation has developed. Thank you! As some one who has a interest in philosophy, psychology, and the pseudo sciences thank you. By the way I'm definitely not an expert in science but my recommended fields have been psychology, physics and philosophy.

Just to give you an idea of what sort of person I have been. My aunt carol has offered to pay for my education so that I could go into college and get a job as a research scientist. She read some of my blogs and saw how interested I was and said I was good at musing my ideas.
    She works with NASA... I'm not a scientist and I admit that I don't know a lot about it. I've dabbled a little here and there.

I'm impressed by how scientific and respectful this has remained. I do believe in the super natural but I only try to keep an open mind. If it's psychological, maybe, haha I don't know..

Thank you all! This was a fantastic read. I do think it's good for people to have a interest in these things. I do appreciate all fields of science. It's interesting to see how people interpret what's out there. There's so much out there haha. It's not all equally respected but it's out there. I really appreciate you all showing respect to one another for the most part.

I will never be a scientists to be honest. I've had so many paranormal experiences that made me interested in science that now I want to live a normal, peaceful life. HAHA

MrZAP likes this.
  16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    nope im sticking to what you said the first time. no room for blindly attempted improvements...

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Oh, I was right the first time. I'm just clarifying my rightness.

18. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    you have not been right about anything...

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    interesting... ill send you links on articles I find I think you might enjoy.. especially having to do with CERN...

ill try to find the one about black holes being formed in possible 5 dimensional space.

20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Worst ghost thread ever.

MrZAP, solojones, Sauntaero and 6 others like this.
  21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  22. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    XD the main contributors voting your comment up. Define silliness!

Anyways , nah this is pretty common. What should this be about ghost hunts, ghost stories? Casper the ghost? It usually ends up this way...

Though I'd to see a thread that could be strictly about ghost hunts and stories. You have to be like on a ghost forum for that though typically. :p

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm fine with a good thread on ghosts, but when the physics claims happen, they won't go unanswered.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    In my defense it was this or actually focusing on repeatedly verifying vector space axioms. I think I made the right choice. :p

25. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    That's the problem, you math guys are all about the axioms.