main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Creation of species in TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Master Thon, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Master Thon

Jedi Master Thon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2013
    I have come to notice that TCW has been notoriously and uselessly creating new species. I knew to expect a few, and I'm alright with that. Species like the Faust, Kerkoiden, Kyuzo, and the likes are OK. But you get to something like this:

Karkarodon = Charcharodon charcharias, or great white shark
    Belugan = Beluga whale
    Junker = THIS
    and hopefully, Zilkins (Meebur Gascon) have nothing to do with THIS

I enjoyed the reuse of the Zygerrians and Parwans in Season 4, and I wish TCW would use already created species to make more tie-ins to existing continuity, as well as fortify it.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I love the Karkarodons, despite how silly they are (though I didn't like seeing them out of water), I like the Belugans and the Junkers.

So, I hope TCW continues to create new species, along with continuing to use species from existing continuity.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think the Karkarodon's are kind of badass looking. I thought it was kind of silly in the sense that it's just a humanoid great white, but then I remembered that there's essentially just a big praying mantis in the cantina, a wolfman, a humanoid fly (Rodians) a walrus man (subsequently depicted as more spider-like), a giant slug (Ithorians), etc.

4. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    About the Karakarodons, I'm surprised they haven't introduced a shark humanoid species earlier on in SW as sort of an evil counterpart to the Mon Calamari. I guess that is why i've come to accept that species as part of the GFFA rather quickly.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    They like to use real underwater creatures and turn them into other species, which is cool.
    Another is Selkath which look like Manta Rays, and one of the characters, Mantu, even sounds like Manta.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    I'm sorry, I didn't phrase my first post correctly. I love all those species, and I'm all for creation of new species, to build on to the growing universe. But one point I wanted to make was the names. Couldn't get any better than Karkarodon. And the MAIN point was that so many EU species have elaborate backstories. These CW species are used for a few episodes, then forgotten about. We don't have as extensive information on the Belugans as we do on say the Caamasi or Xi Charrian. Xi Carrians don't even have their own canonical image and they have more info on them. If these CW species are to later be tied in to other sources, then fine. The Karkarodons would fit great into a Dark Times comic, or an Old Republic source. Especially the latter, which could give new insight on the species during galactic history.

Selkath were a species the Clone Wars reused. The Selkath were around for longer, but yes, they do look like Manta Rays. And Mantu is a very uncreative name, but still one of my favorite bounty hunters.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, the Selkath are from KOTOR.

The EU will fill in the backstories of the new species introduced by TCW, give it time. It's not like they can give us a history lesson on a species during an episode.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I liked Tamson's species and the Pyke's designs.

9. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    I loved both the Pyke and Karkarodon. Of the two I feel like Karkarodon have a greater chance if being expanded on in the EU in the near future.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any ideas about the base of the Pyke's design?

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    My favorites are definitely the Parwans. Great design.

11. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    The Parwans, however, didn't originate in TCW. They were first mentioned in a 1996 publication.

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The pykes always have spice on their hands. Which means they're either using it every few minutes, or they just don't wash their hands, perhaps even after using the bathroom. :p

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Interesting, were they depicted visually?

14. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Parwans are based on concept art for the cantina scene that appeared in The Art of Star Wars in 1979.
    [​IMG]
    This species is known as "Revwien", but is the base for the Parwans, according to the official guide on the OS.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I remember discussing that when they first appeared, but I was under the impression that they were created by TCW from those influences. I'm not familiar with this 1996 reference.

16. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    One thing about the Pykes was Dave mentioned that they were something GL had been developing. Hmmm, you think maybe for the live action show?

17. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    No, but the term Parwan was first used.

It was a retcon. Their name was mentioned in the name if a dish which Max Rebo was fond of. It has been confirmed that this is in fact a mention of the Parwans.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Jedi Master Thon interesting, thanks for the clarification. Also, awesome name and matching avatar, I love Tales of the Jedi.

19. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks

Here's a link to this publication: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/And_the_Band_Played_On:_The_Band's_Tale

On a side note, I see that the Frenk, Harch, and Moogans (species) have background info. It'll be interesting if this ties into future EU works.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  20. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
  21. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    True. The Ming Po are strange, but fascinating in their own way. However, it's clear that TCW couldn't think of ideas, so they stole an actual culture and portrayed it as an alien. And Voe Attell, as well as some others from that arc, don't have species names. sniff. so sad. Characters like Kerch Kushi, By Bluss, and Punn Rimbaud all have nameless species. Speaking of which, many species, which originally didn't have a species name, such as the Bivall, were given a name, donning them a new species. However, there exists at least 100 species, which are imageless, and could be used to give nameless species a name.

And with the Confederacy and all, I'm surprised Xi Charrians haven't yet appeared.

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I am tired of people complaining about the species in TCW. Especially the Separatist ones. The species have been great and have been kept in the spirit of the movies. If anything the Prequels and TCW are far more creative than the OT when it comes to aliens.

To start you all off - the OT was also very, very, very unoriginal when it came to aliens.

Gamorrians - pigs
    Klatooinians - dogs
    Mon Calamari - gold fish
    Bothans - goats
    Hutts - giant slugs with faces
    EWOKS - the worst of the worst, are teddy bears
    Chadra-Fan - two-legged walking bats
    Shistavanen - wolves
    Brizzit - flies
    Huk - praying mantis
    Shivvin - sheep

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    I was making a point with the names, not the animals. And yes, it's obvious that all those came from animals. I'm not complaining, I love the species, especially the Parwans, Faust, Lurmen, and Pyke. and I don't know what a Shivvin is... do you mean Snivvian? And I totally agree that the Prequels were more creative. But sci-fi was much more cheesy in the 70's/80's than in the modern era. Bothans were only mentioned in the films. You forgot Quarren - squid, Aqualish - walrus, and Chevin - elephant. What I think G. Lucas was doing is showing that something common to us could be adapted into something so foreign and strange.

24. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I think its awesome how a lot of the new species created are based off of unused concept art, such as the Parwans and Tera Sinube's species. Other species are well done as well, like the Karkoradons and Pykes, and I'm mostly okay with the original TCW creations.

Except this guy: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tiggs_Leo I dunno but for me, he's just stupid and cartoonish looking, and yes I know its a cartoon. But bleh . . .

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Beluga whale my ass. You want an unoriginal species? Look no further than the Herglic, AKA killer whales ripoffs!

I like that they make new species. There's billions of star systems and nearly endless possibilites for unique species.

Also, this thread coming from the guy who's avatar is a talking dinosaur. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.