main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Season 5 [[(major spoilers & video clips!!!)]]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Coric, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    If I don't get overly excited about it and think this arc is going to be flipping awesome the whole way through. Who else will? -fist bumps-

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  2. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Funny how this one shout-out to ROTS gets ripped but every shout-out to ANH in The Lawless gets praised.

I like it, especially the focus on R2 and the buzz droid.

cwustudent likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Are you kidding? Most people called out the references in The Lawless as pretty cringe-worthy.

4. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    If that truly was the case, I will gladly stand corrected. But from what I've read, reviews and all it seemed that everybody loved them.

rumblewagon likes this.
  5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Pffft... I enjoyed that episode so much there were way more things on my list to put in my review than the ANH references which didn't bother me in the slightest.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    and considering the video quality as well

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Animation in TCW looks better each episode. That's almost something to take for granted at this point. TCW has other stuff they frankly need to improve on much as I love the show.

8. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Pretty much every review I've seen for "The Lawless" praised the references, so I'm not sure who "Most people" is supposed to be.

rumblewagon likes this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Me. Though they're nothing compared to the nauseating re-hash of Obi-Wan's "I'm so sorry."

10. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Pretty much only here for the anti-Jedi sentiment theme; all these buzz droids, Nemoidia, and Ventress is just fluff.

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Indeed. I HATE THAT... they should either use a planet well or not use it at all. Why do they always have to ruin appearances from famous CIS worlds!?

I still think people overlook all the flaws of the episode when they see Mandos vs Mandos and Sidious vs Maul and Savage.

The references in "The Lawless" at times were really painful. There were a lot of hits, but like the "Maul sensing" reference - there were many ughs... for me, at least.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Not really, I don't get why people are calling it a 'ROTS ripoff'. It was quite clear in the beginning of ROTS that Anakin and Obi-Wan had faced Buzz Droids in the past, "I see them, Buzz Droids!", and where else would they have faced them other than in a starfighter? Not in line at Starbucks I would imagine.

Now, if R2 had destroyed the Buzz Droid by hitting it in the center eye and Ahsoka had rammed Anakin's Starfighter to get them off, then it would be a ripoff. Heck it ROTS it wasn't even Anakin who got hit by Buzz Droids.

Other than the fact that Buzz Droids where on someones ship, there are few parallels with this scene and ROTS.

'Most' as in three or four outspoken people, :D

13. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Think it was more than three or four, or the others were too polite to complain :p

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No, it is not a ripoff for me of that scene with the buzz droids. It is a clear annoyance that they bring back Cato Neimoidia and do not have the guts to make an awesome episode a meaningful battle above it. That is what I do not get.
    THAT is the ripoff.. I feel ripped off that they will have this battle for a few minutes, have no Neimoidians shown, they will not have a CIS commander and they will never reference this battle again - that is why I will feel ripped off.

People usually judge by the reviews and by the louder fans. The episode was not that good at all.
    Sure, it had its moments, but it was really filled with writing and rushed pace and plot holes.

15. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Its not just the reviews. I've been to many Star Wars fan communities such as the ones on IGN, rebelscum, and TV tropes where they had no problem with the references and shout-outs.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    For me it's not that I think this clip is a ripoff of TCW - as someone else mentioned, ROTS implies that Anakin has had past encounters with buzz droids - what I'm worried about is this being another tension-less "passing through" battle.

ROTS had the best visuals of any space battle in Star Wars IMO, and there was all kinds of neat little things going on between the capital ships that the technology of the day couldn't really do back in the 70s and 80s.

For instance there's the shots of the clones and droids manning the blaster turrets as the two ships broadside each other and interior shots of a turret getting blown apart. There's also ships firing heavy weapons at each other and small missiles.

Yet simultaneously it was perhaps the worst space battle on screen because the heroes didn't really participate... like at all. They just bee lined for Grievous' ship, ignoring everything else, making witty banter along the way and were pretty much just passing through aside from the deal with the buzz droids.

In ROTJ you didn't have Lando and Wedge making friendly chat in the middle of a battle, telling each other to let ships pass between them as they fly straight to the Death Star. And in ANH, when ships did try to just ignore the fighters and attack the exhaust port, they were annihilated. There's just no tension when Anakin and Obi-Wan can fly straight up to and board the enemy flag ship and the enemy is too incompetent to deal with fighters flying in a straight line.

The Malevolence battle was better IMO, but problematic in that they pretty much just established that you can take out a capital starship with a proton torpedo to the bridge. It kind of makes the Rebels' method of taking out the Super Star Destroyer as redundant if they destroyed the bridge deflector shield generators (apparently with proton torpedoes) allowing an A-wing to crash into the bridge, when they could have just shot the bridge directly. A bit of a geeky nitpick there.

Anyway, this Cato Neimoidia battle I hope is actually a battle. And not another case of Anakin making friendly chit chat as he just passes through, with Ahsoka saving the day (extremely likely given it appears Anakin passes out).

17. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Cato Neimoidia appears to have fallen prey to 'Felucia syndrome' in that, because we see the battle is not yet completely concluded in ROTS, the TCW team have therefore decided that no decisive battle can take place there. Which has both good and bad points to its logic.

18. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    And, as in RotS, the learner saves the master.

19. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Looking at the Google hangout in a concept art showing scene, they show a concept and the final look of a scene, it shows Ahsoka looking at a datapad in a room that has lots of blue lighting it is the same colour and most likely from the same scene in the trailer where you see an explosion. Also after that clip ^^ as can be seen in the season five trailer Ahsoka jumps onto Anakin's ship to save him hopefully as another concept that can be seen in the hangout is Anakin's ship crashing.

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    That isn't a good thing, IMO. This scene should not mirror ROTS so strongly and we've seen enough of Ahsoka saving the day that we don't need it for the millionth time. There's no point in the master/apprentice relationship if the master is overly reliant on the apprentice.

21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I may be biased, but IMO, Ahsoka does not save the day nearly enough.

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Emphasis on the first part.

rumblewagon likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I get the impression some times that this is Filoni's directing style:

*Matt and Ashley read their lines in a way that makes perfect sense for the scene*

Dave: Great work guys, I was really feeling that. But do you mind if I give you guys a couple notes? Matt: Anakin has gotten angrier as the war goes on you know? He's sick of all the death and needless killing and the deaths of his fellow Jedi. And now with an apprentice he's even feeling more pressure not to fail; he can't allow himself to let her down. So in this scene there are these droids attacking your ship, they're disabling it's systems, cutting through the hull and the cockpit is de-pressurizing. This could be it for you and yet Anakin refuses to accept that. So I want to see more fire from your character. And Ashley: Anakin's a loose canon that really will do whatever it takes to win. He's entirely reckless and you have no idea what he's going to do to get out of this situation. All Ahsoka can do is sit back and watch nervously. So really bring that out. So this time, I want to do it again, but you're both going to be... uh... happier, and with your mouths open.

Convor and Jabba_The_Hutt_123 like this.
  24. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    There's so little you can add into 22 minutes, if CN wouldn't shove 8 minutes worth of idiotic adds we'd be able to have more, a lot was cut from The Lawless. Can't wait until TCW moves networks, I don't know if Disney XD has loads of adds too, but there's hope at least.

Anyways, never judge something by what the few scream the loudest. The loudest fans, for example, scream that Revenge of the Sith was a terrible, terrible movie. However critically, Revenge of the Sith is nearly as highly reviewed as Return of the Jedi. You have to learn to look at things from both sides instead of the one side of "nothing will ever be as good as the original Star Wars movies/books/comics." The Lawless was an incredible episode, the best of the series in many peoples opinion, far more than the few who claim it's bad. I have friends whom I showed the last 4 episodes that like the Maul arc, who've never watched the show Clone Wars, who thought it was better than the prequel movies. There was no meaningless plot points that were unresolved (Syfo-Dias), and it tied up everything related to Mandalore nicely, and virtually ended like half of the side stories in the show with a bang.

However.. the droid arc is something I would never, ever show to my friends.

cwustudent, herp_derp and rumblewagon like this.
  25. herp_derp

herp_derp Jedi Padawan

Nov 9, 2011
    You wouldn't have friends if you did that..

KED12345 and TaradosGon like this.