main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Honestly I hope you have something in mind to write with for Lawless because I sure loved your piece on Revival![/quote]
    Oh I'm sure there will be Lawless tie in material materializing in fanfic-world in the next few months.... I just have a feeling about it.
    What I want to know is how Anakin reacts when he finds out that his best friend borrowed his special ship and then got it blown up!!!!!!

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    "But at least I survived," Obi-Wan said weakly as Anakin advanced on him with a fierce scowl.

"So, Maul survived a bi-section, I'm sure you will as well," Anakin snarled, whipping out his lightsaber.

--

You folks are reading? Must be over on ff.n then - or lurking. ;)

ruth baulding likes this.
  3. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Hey Val! Just getting ready to work just a little on my next chapter before going to bed. New schedule for me...8:30 am to 5 pm M-F...nice, but I'm tired earlier now...:)

4. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    There's some funny caption-this-picture stuff over in TV-TCW: here's my contribution that I'm sure Ash at least will appreciate:

[​IMG]

That's not my lightsaber - mine is "this long." Oh - right, just like the one you're holding; may I have it, please.

Veloz, laloga and serendipityaey like this.
  5. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Bo seems to have it well in hand...

Sighhh, he just looks so good in black... [face_love]

laloga likes this.
  6. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    What about...

Obi - "You see, Master Windu told me to take a week to try and get myself in hand and, well, I was wondering if - "

Bo - "Just take your lightsaber, Kenobi."

Side note, I thought I saw Obi loose his lightsaber, totally missed this scene though, somehow... Distracted or something...

Veloz, laloga and Valairy Scot like this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Sure, quote me from my own story! :D
    [​IMG]

Obi-Wan: What's two things that are 'this long' and grow when powered on?
    Bo: Just take this thing, okay and - say again?

Veloz, laloga and serendipityaey like this.
  8. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    That was the most brilliant writing I've seen in years. I'm going to quote it for the rest of my life.

Also...

HOLY MOLY, Val!!! That thread was kriffin' crazy! Warnings please! :p Was it woman bashing/inappropriate word day? Yikes! Lol...

It's really scary out there! I'm going to huddle in this corner for awhile...

With Obi-Wan...

9. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Maul begged for mercy?! He kind of lost his mistique there.but what he did to Satine wasn't nice. I wonder how Anakin will react to her death.he was teasing Obiwan about her.Ahsoka was friends with Corkie.

10. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Oh...yikes! It was crazy! "Oh, look women drivers lol!" Ugh... [insert MASSIVE EYE ROLL]

Of course, those were the more tame quotes...sigh.

Anyway, I think I need to go snuggle with Obi for a bit as well, Ashley. (And Stone.) :D

serendipityaey likes this.
  11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    To be fair as cruel as Maul has been in this series so far he's clearly afraid of his former Master. I mean Palps is the Star Wars equivalent of Satan. So it makes sense to me that Maul would beg for mercy after Sidious defeated him. Plus, if you follow the EU Maul was pretty much tortured by Darth Sidious when the latter was training him to be a Sith. So it makes sense that Maul would be afraid of him. As far as I'm concerned all the characteristics that Maul has expressed in this show (sheer cruelty and lack of remorse, chess-mastery and manipulation of those around him, and partaking joy in others pain and suffering) is a reflection of his former Master on a smaller scale. Now I do agree that he lost his mystique when he begged for mercy, but, once again I think it was to show that Maul actually is afraid of Sidious.

And Satine's death, in my opinion, was one of the saddest deaths in the series. I mean she is overthrown, her system is destabilized, she is framed for murder, her people turn against her, she is replaced by a puppet politician/ruler, and then she is force-choked and impaled right on a darksaber while the person she had always loved is pretty much forced to watch her die.

In my opinion I honestly think that the best part of Lawless (yes even better than the amazing Darth Maul and Savage vs Sidious duel) is that the episode contained great character portrayals of both Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. Obi-Wan expressing pity in the fact that Maul was raised to be like an animal since infancy and that he didn't willingly choose the Dark Side (unlike say Dooku or Anakin) is one of the most three dimensional portrayals of Kenobi's character in this series so far. I'm not saying that Obi-Wan wants to befriend Maul or anything. Instead, he realizes that Maul was forced to embrace the Dark Side and that he (Maul) was too weak to resist such an embrace. Hence Obi-Wan's line: It takes strength to resist the Dark Side. Only the weak embrace it.

It's one thing for some one to choose the Dark Side on their own free will and it's another for someone to be brainwashed (especially since infancy) into embracing it. Sure one could argue that the Jedi brainwash force-sensitive babies and children too (eg: control your emotions, refrain from attachments etc), but, its not like babies and younger children that are raised to be Jedi are forced to undergo torture or suffering or anything like that.

Just my viewpoint. Feel free to discuss.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Put like that, it doesn't seem to show much pity and/or compassion to then throw it into Maul's face that he by definition, then, is weak.

Where I can agree with you is that went from compassion-understanding to a recognition that his comments were reaching deaf ears (and let's face it, Obi-Wan had a lot of practice with such by way of Anakin) and was going nowhere , so Obi-Wan decided to take a moral stand.

13. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Yes!

It started with women driving then veered into Obi calling Satine names...and then, well the three letter word pushed it right over the edge for me. Yuck.

laloga likes this.
  14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    In all fairness, that was a "blip" on the radar - there's been some really funny ones that aren't so - blatant - and that was just one poster's, eh, dig - he's been nearly spamming the TV boards (or was) with it's all Obi-Wan's fault because:

1. Obi-Wan should have brought Anakin (as in the book, and was CUT from the episode and not even completed) - bringing Anakin would have increased the chances of success and that should have been more important than any other consideration to Obi-Wan to save the woman he loved.

2. Obi-Wan "taunted" Maul by talking to him, hastening a certain character's death - if he'd only pretended to give in to his dark side or at the least kept his mouth shut, said character would have been spared at least a bit longer and in so doing, may have survived after all

3. The latest: said character should have asked Dooku for help, not Obi-Wan

laloga likes this.
  15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Well Maul is weak. There is no doubt about that. He'll never be able to turn away from the Dark Side. Someone like Anakin/Vader was able too, but, a character like Maul will never ever redeem himself. Plus it would out of character for Maul to redeem himself in the first place. And I agree that Obi-Wan threw it back in Maul's face after Maul pretty much tried to tell Obi-Wan that he was weak for not choosing the Dark Side. That is why his comment towards Maul fell on deaf ears.

And I should have added the line where Obi-Wan tells Maul that it wasn't Maul's decision to join the Dark Side and that the Nightsisters chose it for him in order to clear up any confusion. What I was trying to say is that while Obi-Wan believes that Maul is weak he also knows that Maul's weakness actually isn't his fault. I mean Maul was raised by the most evil man in the SW universe since infancy and therefore it really doesn't surprise me that Maul turned out to be this sociopath that takes delight in other individuals's suffering. Whereas Dooku pretty much chose the Dark Side out of power and Anakin chose it because he was trying to find a way to prevent a bad event from occurring Maul did not have much of a choice when it came to undergoing the Dark Side and Obi-Wan acknowledged that. Furthermore, Maul's denial of Obi-Wan's acknowledgement also proves that Obi-Wan was right about Maul not willingly choosing the ways of the Dark Side. And Maul's obsessive state of getting revenge on Obi-Wan when Savage finds him in the Brothers episode pretty much tells me that Maul was/became sick in the head. I also think that Mother Talzin's magic when she was giving Maul his new legs may have also contributed to his manipulative state of mind. Just like the Nightsister magic transformed Savage from an honorable being to a brutal monster who ended up strangling his other brother to death.

Because of Maul's state of mind/the fact that he will never be redeemed/the fact that Sidious has "other uses for him" I predict four possible fates (and its pointless to bring up his EU fate since other characters EU fates have been overridden in the TCW):

A) That Maul will lose his mind all over again or become overconfident, attempt to kill Obi-Wan or someone close to Obi-Wan, and then get killed in the process. Whether or not it is Obi-Wan who ends up killing him is something I cannot predict.

B) That Palpatine will order or manipulate Maul into killing Ahsoka and that Anakin will retaliate and kill Maul.This situation, of course, may occur in order to bring Anakin closer to the Dark Side. This is the situation I believe is the most plausible of the three because it really ties into the concept of Sidious having other uses for his former apprentice.

C) That Maul will be driven to suicide. Other moreso minor characters have succumbed to the same fate.

D) That Sidious uses for Maul runs out and he simply gets rid of him.

Edit: The taunting theory is a good one too. Maul could have easily mistook what Obi-Wan said as an insult and used it as a reason to kill Satine. Or Obi-Wan could have actually been insulting him and may have forgotten the possible consequences of insulting someone like Maul. In my opinion, that is also a plausible theory.

Veloz likes this.
  16. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Sigh...yeah I've been following that a bit. It's hard to read. For multiple reasons. I came into the caption thread at a bad time, and boy did it seem to spiral quickly.

As for the spamming, yeah... The same thing over and over. I don't feel Obi-Wan loved her anyway, so that argument stops there for me. But I know, I know, Obi led her on by being decent and polite and caring towards a friend.

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Actually, Ash, on one thread over there, there was a link to a Filoni interview. As cleared with GL, per Filoni, Obi-Wan did indeed love Satine and according to the Wook would have left the Order to be with her had she asked.

What is truly funny, I've had these half-developed plot bunnies breeding in my mind so I really wanted to try to pin down (approximately) how old Obi-Wan was re: Siri, Taria, and Satine - and can't. For sure Cerasi was at age 13, Siri most likely 16-18 with a tendency to go to the younger side of that for whatever reasonl

Taria - who knows? It could have been late teens, early twenties, post Qui-Gon's death...

As for Satine, the year long mission was prior to age 25. Going by the Wook and trying to pin it down, it sounds like - get this - Obi-Wan was 13 in 44BBY when it seems most likely Satine gained control. He was 13 when he fell in love and was willing to leave the Order to marry her!!!!!!!!!

No way.

Then Wook says he had an affair with her after his knighting.

So...one might postulate he was early 20's, Satine contacted him after Qui-Gon's death and they met & consummated their love?

It's not important for the bunnies per se, but I'm a person who likes to have some sense of canonical timing and sticks to it, even if everything else is fair game.

18. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I can believe a 13 year old would declare something as illogical (out of character) as that...

You know when a kid goes to ask his parent permission for something crazy and they know exactly when to do it - like when they're half asleep or in the middle of an important phone call or something and aren't really paying full attention? Yeah. That.

laloga likes this.
  19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, but the implication is that Obi-Wan was (probably) an adult - at least 18 when on Mandalore. I don't know why I care about the timeline, but I do. For any background to any potential story that recognizes all these women in his past, I *have* to have some sense of who/when even if those other women don't even get a mention. That's just me.

And Wook gives no date of birth for Satine. I kind of lean to her being older than Obi-Wan - say some 4-5 years. Anyone else?

20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    What makes you think 13?

I totally understand you wanting to work out the timeline, I would as well. We want things to make sense, it gives the galaxy credibility. There are just so many things in the entire 'verse, if you count them all that just contradict each other, I just don't know :/

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The Wook entry on the Mandalorian Civil war, that's what. It lasted until 44 BBY. I assume it ended when Satine's position was finally established and fairly stable.

You have anything different (please)?

22. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    The moment i saw this episode, something along the lines of D) is what i think might happen. I could see Maul dying doing something to try and get back to Sidious as payback for the "humiliation" he suffered at the end of the episode [face_thinking]

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nope... just reviewed all that, and it's clear the conflict ended in 44 BBY... So... Obi-Wan was no older than 13, Satine was presumably older... So at the age of 17-18, she fell desperately in love with a 13 year old? A 13 year old who would've gladly given up everything he ever wanted, had she only said the word?

24. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    When u put it like that, it doesnt really make much sense, does it? :confused:

See? this is why i ignore Satine and vote for Siri :p

obimom and serendipityaey like this.
  25. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004