main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 still on the cards?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I was reading an article from Screen Daily which was about Lincoln and featured an interview with Kathleen Kennedy. The article is good however things got interesting at the very end, this is what Kennedy had to say about her partnership with Spielberg:

http://www.screendaily.com/reports/....article?blocktitle=One-On-One&contentID=1799

Looks as if Kennedy and Lucasfilm haven't forgotten about Indy which is good news :)

V-2 and Kirk Solo like this.
  2. StoryHobbit

StoryHobbit Jedi Padawan

Jan 29, 2013
    It is still on imdb.com even though that's not exactly accurate. My guess is that IJ5 will happen in a few years after they've got the Star Wars sequel train cruising.

3. DarthLazious28273

DarthLazious28273 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2013
    If they do make Indy 5 then I hope to The Force it will be better then Indy 4 which almost cost me walk out of the movie when I saw it on the big screen.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm no expert, but I think IJ5 was pretty far along in the planning process, so it would be dumb for them to just toss it out the window, but I think SWEP7 will be consuming most of Disney's and Kennedy's time. Most of the articles I've read say it's basically on the back-burner. That being said, they'd better not leave it there for long. Ford is 70. Will we really want to see a 75+ year old Indy?

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Do we really want to see a 70-year-old Indy?

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really hope there's an Indy 5. I actually thought 4 was fairly entertaining.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd rather see Indy again than Han Solo.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well they better do it soon or Harrison Ford will be so senile he'll get every single character that he has played mixed up.
    "Han! We have to get to the Falcon double time!"
    "Just a moment! I have to call Admiral Greer and tell em' the Nazis found Colonel Kurts! He belongs in a museum!"

DarthBoba, Immortiss and hear+soul like this.
  9. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I think it will eventually come out. Harrison Ford will probably be making films well into his late 80s, just like Clint Eastwood. He'll always be a bad ass on screen, no matter his age.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  10. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I forgot that this went hand in hand with Star Wars during this deal. My initial reaction was of course they'll make it, because they can. But I agree that it hinges on the success of Episode VII, though I am of the opinion, considering the screenwriter and director, that the sequel trilogy will be an overwhelming success, so yes, there will be another Indiana Jones. Disney is going to want to play with all of its new toys. Also, it's important to consider that IJ4 flopping a bit lingers a bit more than the prequels not being as good as they could have been, as Indiana Jones is no Star Wars when it comes to cultural impact and $$$, not that it's not pretty big...

And just because Ford is old doesn't mean it can't work. Do we want to see an old man being an action hero in the manner that Indiana Jones is? probably not, but maybe. I'd say, either drop him from the film entirely and go the route of James Bond, probably keeping him in the 40s and such (maybe), have his grandson be the guy and have Ford make a cameo of some sort, probably of relative significance to the plot, or have him be a part of the film, but not the star. Maybe he gets a portion of the film where it hinges on him snapping that whip one more time and doing something heroic- then get back to the current Indie.

Oh yeah, and make sure it's not Shia Labeouf. I like him ok as an actor, just not as Indie.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I may be wrong--there's typically a 9 in 10 chance that I am--but I seem to recall reading that even though Disney got Lucasfilm lock, stock and lightsaber, there were some sticky rights issues re: Indiana Jones and Paramount that would have to be worked out first. Not that the two wouldn't likely play nice with all that cash to be made, but it's still an issue.

The bigger issue, bigger than Ford's age even, is Spielberg's interest. He's nearing 70 himself. Does he really want to re-visit that character a 5th time at this point, when his own movie making window is shrinking? That's not to say he won't mix in a Spielbergian popcorn flick or two in between his Oscar nominated dramas over the next decade, but another Indy film? Especially with his pal George on the sideline this time. The only way I could see it happening is if Spielberg feels a need to send the saga out on a higher note than the less-than-universally-loved KotCS.

Save that I see only one recourse. A word that sends shivers down my spine; prequel.

darth ladnar and Immortiss like this.
  12. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    I really hope to have one last Indiana Jones film. We will never get another film like "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but I really do think that Spielberg and ford have one epic film left in them.

Crystal Skull wasn't bad, it was a mixed bag for me. However not the note I wanted them to go on. If we can get episode VII, we can get ID5.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    IMO, Shia was absolutely fantastic as Mutt. Sadly, he no longer wants to make big studio movies. Indy 5 without him would be a huge letdown for me.
    Knowing Spielberg, he might just share my sentiments. Considering the importance of the character, Shia might be a deal breaker for him.

- I can't go on alone.
    - You're gonna need me on this one, Master.

/LM

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Everything nowadays seems to be on the back-burner.

15. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Hire a decent screenwriter. Kick out Marion and Mutt. Bring back Sallah. And if they can't come with a good story, just don't do it. Indy 4 wasn't as bad as people say, but if they can't assemble a movie at least as good as Temple or Crusade, don't do it.

16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I suspect we'll hear something within the next year to eighteen months

17. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I hope so. This is the kind of thing they need to do sooner, than later, considering no one's getting any younger. They need to stick Indy 5 somewhere between one of the ST episodes(like Raiders with the OT), rather than wait til the ST finishes(like they did with the PT).

Ford, Speilberg, Lucas(who I believe will come out of retirement for this, if everyone else is involved), and Williams. 4 ingredients for a fun time.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    My opinion of Indiana 5 is exactly the same a Han Solo in Star Wars 7. That is, it could work but we need a story that ages him gracefully. I've always fancied the idea of Indiana being a private investigator where he has to find missing people. A mcguffin plot could seamlessly unravel from this which could have action, suspense and character tension. But if we need to have rolling boulders, mining car chases, elaborate stunt sequences, then my opinion is "no thanks" because we'll see the technical aspects doing the work for Harrison. That's not what makes the character interesting.

19. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Would you rather see a more simple personal story for the fifth Indiana Jones films? Or would you rather them come up with something bigger than alien skulls? Maybe a secret about the North Pole? Or finding the island called Atlantis.

20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I think that once they get the ball gets rolling on EpVII and the standalones, SW movies will be rolling out like one after the other. Also, they should make one more Harrison Ford 'Indy', although the torch was supposed to be passed to 'Mutt". After that I say trash "Mutt" and reboot, with some great new stories, if that's even possible. Like James Bond. I like Indy, not Mutt.

21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I really enjoyed KOTCS, so I would love to see them make an Indy 5.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  22. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  23. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Isn't the Indiana Jones franchise still owned by Paramount? Why would Disney's Lucasfilm devote so much time to a project that would help another studio when they are already having a hard time keeping up with the ST and all the spin-offs?

24. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Is it? My understanding(and I have nothing to back it up, so anybody feel free to correct), is Lucasfilm(and now Disney), owns the Indy franchise. I think Lucas has released the Raiders sequels through Paramount out of tradition(like when he released the Star Wars sequels through Fox). Now that Disney owns the franchise, they would be the studio that produces and releases it.

Now I'm still confused about the whole distribution of existing movies(like the whole Fox owns episode 4, but not 5-6, 1-3?). But I think I'm correct in regards to new movies.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope in this one, Indiana Jones fights the World Crime League.