main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can anyone please help me by taking my Star Wars survey for a research paper? It's about Darth Vader

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Breanna Andreu, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breanna Andreu

Breanna Andreu Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2013
    Thank you for agreeing to take this survey for my research paper. All of the questions in this survey require more than a yes/no answer; however, it is up to you how in depth you would like to go. If you feel more strongly about a certain question than another, you can certainly spend less time on the question you are less interested in. The longer the answers, the better, so don't feel like you have to shorten anything you are passionate about.
    This is a 20 question survey. I'm letting you know beforehand because it is somewhat longer than other surveys; however, you DO NOT have to go into much depth if you do not want to. Simply answering the questions will work if you are pressed for time.
    Please note that your name will not appear anywhere in my research paper. Thank you very much for participating in this survey. Also, this survey is specifically for the Star Wars FILMS ONLY. Anyone who has read books, comics, etc: please try not to be biased by other sources than the movies as I am only researching the movie for this particular research paper. Thank you once again!
    1. In one sentence, what is your description of a villain?

2. Do you consider yourself a Star Wars fan? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being not a fan at all and 10 being a “super fan”, what would you consider yourself?

3. In what order did you first watch the Star Wars films?

A. Episodes 4-6 first, then Episodes 1-3 (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith in that order.)
    B. Episodes 1-3 first, then Episodes 4-6 (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi in that order.)

4. Who is your favorite character from the films?

5. Who is your favorite villain from the films?

6. What is the first thing you think of when you think of your favorite villain from the film?

7. If your favorite villain was not the Emperor, what is the first thing you think of when you think of the Emperor?

8. If your favorite villain was not Darth Vader, what is the first thing you think of when you think of Darth Vader?

9. What is Senator Palpatine’s motivation for becoming the Emperor?

10. What is Anakin Skywalker’s motivation for becoming Darth Vader?

11. Do you feel sympathy for the Emperor?

12. Why or why not?

13. Do you feel sympathy for Darth Vader?

14. Why or why not?

15. When the Emperor died in Episode VI, what emotions did you feel, if any?

16. When Darth Vader died in Episode VI, what emotions did you feel, if any?

17. Do you think the Emperor fits into your description of a villain from question one?

18. Why or why not?

19. Do you think Darth Vader fits into your description of a villain from question one?

20. Why or why not?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Moved this to SWC since it really wasn't appropriate for Comms.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010

A villain is someone who focuses on self interests regardless of what that means to achieve it,

2. Do you consider yourself a Star Wars fan? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being not a fan at all and 10 being a “super fan”, what would you consider yourself?

I consider myself a fan of the movies

IV V VI I II III

Darth Sidious

see above

6. What is the first thing you think of when you think of your favorite villain from the film?

a briiliant mind

7. If your favorite villain was not the Emperor, what is the first thing you think of when you think of the Emperor?

see above

8. If your favorite villain was not Darth Vader, what is the first thing you think of when you think of Darth Vader?

a cripple

absolute control brought on by sociopathia, and taught by plagueis to harness that

obsessive love for his wife

I do (keep meaning to make that thread)

12. Why or why not?

take too long to mention here

Hard question to answer

14. Why or why not?

see above

thought it was one of the most stupid deaths ever put on screen to be quite frank

the look he gave his son was heart warming, that has changed with needless tampering however...

17. Do you think the Emperor fits into your description of a villain from question one?

yup, but not by choice I feel

18. Why or why not?

I'll make that thread one day, possibly :p

19. Do you think Darth Vader fits into your description of a villain from question one?

not really

you're going to ask me why or why not aren't you?

20. Why or why not?

yes and no, Darth Vader is a tragic character who was redeemed, so was he a villain? not really, just someone who fell, and needed a wake up call

benknobi1 likes this.
  4. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I'd be happy to take this survey - I'll return in a few hours when I can devote the time.

Out of curiousity, is this for a class or is this a personal project? If it's a class, what class? Do you have a thesis you're trying to argue?

Regardless, looking forward to taking the survey.

5. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012

A villain is one who harms and takes advantage of others without remorse, motivated by some form of selfishness (greed for money/power, for example, or simply the satisfaction of a sadistic urge).

Yes, I consider myself a fan. I guess I'd give myself an 8.

A. I watched them in order of release: IV, V, VI, I, II, III

These days it is Palpatine - I find him fascinating.

Palpatine.

Lies.

n/a

Tragedy.

I believe it is a sociopathic urge to control people. There are people in the world who totally lack empathy, and who only "feel" when they exert power over others. Sadism, in other words.

I believe that Anakin, by his physical nature, was passionate, emotional and sensitive - to a superhuman degree. The Jedi, as portrayed in the prequels, encouraged emotional suppression unhealthly detachment. For a person like Anakin, this is the worst environment to be in. Rather than foster Anakin's gifts and helping him to channel his passion into acts of compassion, the Jedi discouraged him and cause him to feel more and more conflicted. Emotional energy has to go somewhere. By the time Palpatine got to him he was probably already well on his way to psychosis. Anakin's heart told him the Jedi were wrong - and I believe he his heart was correct - and Palpatine took advantage of this, pushing him over the edge. "Becoming Darth Vader" wasn't a choice, per se, but a transformation facilitated in equal part by the Jedi and Palpatine.

No.

12. Why or why not?

Since we only see the Emperor as a heatless sadistic liar, and have no hint as to what manner of tragedy (if any) created him, there is no reason to feel sympathy for him.

Yes, a great deal.

14. Why or why not?

See the answer to question 10. He should have behaved differently, and there is no excuse for violence against innocents and murder, the cards were stacked against him as soon as the Jedi took him in. In fact, the opera scene in ROTS opens up the possibility (as I see it) that Anakin was created by Palpatine and his master, so the cards may have been stacked against him even before his "immaculate conception."

Joy for Anakin: he finally took control of his own life.

Sadness, because (at the time) it was our first true meeting with Anakin, and it was the end of his life. But joy as well, because his final action was a truly free and selfless action, and his final words were words of love.

Yes, I believe the Emperor perfectly fits my discription of villian.

18. Why or why not?

The Emperor showed absolutely no true empathy, and lived to satisfy his evil urges and succeeded on an incomprehensible scale.

Yes, "from a certain point of view."

20. Why or why not?

Anakin acted selfishly and savagely. He was a murderer, a torturer, and a liar. But the story of Anakin shows that his actions were the result of the actions/inactions of others as well as the result of his own free will. As a creature of free will, he should have done things differently (drastically so), and had he lived he should have been held accountable for his crimes. But if there is a moral truth to be found in the saga as a whole it is that some evil is born and some evil is made, and love and compassion are the only way to conquer it.

6. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    That was a lot of fun :)

7. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    I chose Palps as my fav too - you should make the thread. I decided I don't have sympathy for him, but I understand your own sympathy because I think we have the same thoughts regarding his nature. Palpatine is a true sociopath, so in that sense, he doesn't have a choice. I guess I just don't know how to have sympathy for someone who is not human (I believe our capacity for love is at the heart of what it is to be human).

Anyway, I don't want to hijack a thread that's supposed to be about this survey - that's why you should make the thread, friend!

8. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    A villain is someone how doesn't care about the common good, lusts only for power and control. He/she doesn't care about authority or honor and is evil straight t the core.

Anywhere from 7-9.

A.

A. Episodes 4-6 first, then Episodes 1-3 (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith in that order.)
    B. Episodes 1-3 first, then Episodes 4-6 (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi in that order.)

Obi wan Kenobi

Boba Fett

The armor.

Power crazed evil.

A tragic, broken, and redeemable character/hero.

Power and control

Fear of losing Padme, anger for not saving Shmi, the misguided belief that absolute authority over the population will bring peace and justice.

No, none, nada.

12. Why or why not?
    He was a power crazed psycho with no compassion or mercy, even for his master.

Yes.

14. Why or why not?
    Despite his flaws he wanted the best for Padme, despite is over protectiveness, and he wanted peace.

I felt a little relief, it was like, haha revenge.

Regret for all the evils he would never atone for, gladness that he stepped out of the grasp of the darkside.

Yes.

18. Why or why not?
    One word. Alderaan.

No.

20. Why or why not?
    He was redeemable.

9. Breanna Andreu

Breanna Andreu Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2013
    This is for a class but is also a personal project. I'm taking an Inquiry Into the Villain class, and we were allowed to pick any subject we wanted. I was just curious how people viewed Darth Vader and the Emperor, especially as it relates to the order in which they first watched the films. I'm trying to argue that people who watch the 1-3 episodes first generally feel more sympathy toward Darth Vader than people who watch the movies 4-6. I also wanted to include the Emporer because he is, in my opinion, very important but I wasn't sure what kind of view I thought people would generally take of him. I included questions about him because I thought I would figure something out, but I'm not sure in what ways people might feel differently about him if they watched the films in differnt orders... Hopefully that made sense. Any suggestions?

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    1. Someone who intentionally brings harm to others and the world around them for personal gain.

2. 10

3. B

4. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

5. Palpatine/Darth Sidious

6. Force lightning

7. See above

8. Redemption

9. He wants to live forever, and by being in a position of power, he hopes he can find the secrets to immortality.

10. He wanted to gain the power to save his wife from dying, like his mother did.

11. No

12. He was just pure evil, he had no tragic backstory

13. Yes

14. He was manipulated into falling to the dark side, and by doing so, he lost everything.

15. Like a FINALLY kind of feeling, but I was thinking more about Vader's redemption than Sidious's death.

16. In a way, angry. Even when he redeemed himself, it wasn't without loss, in this case his life. But it was touching when he asked to see Luke with his own eyes, as if Anakin is rejecting the Vader he once was. He finally accepts death, and his previous inability to do so caused his fall in the first place.

17. Yes

18. He used practically the entire galaxy for his own gain, and ordered the death of millions of people.

19. Yes, but a tragic villain.

20. He himself was responsible for killing hundreds of Jedi, and even murdered children. But really, he was not doing it for himself entirely.

11. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    Certainly does make sense.

My sympathy for Vader shifted as the story unfolded. I saw the films in traditional order, OT first and PT much later. In ANH and ESB I would argue that there is little to sympathize with when it comes to Vader. We just see him in the torturer/intimidator/murderer context. The "I am your father" reveal only shows how messed up he is, and that on top of being evil, he is disloyal ("join me and we will rule together..."). ROTJ is where we get a little insight and start to feel sympathetic - we see how gross his relationship with the emperor is, and he hesitates on Endor before saying "It is... to late for me, son." The "good" and the "conflict" that Luke claims to sense are, IMO, nowhere for the viewer to see. Our sympathy for Vader rests in our trust in Luke, our desire to see Luke succeed. Without first witnessing Anakin's fall from grace, there's really not a lot to sympathize with until until they're all on the Death Star II and the Emperor is commanding Luke to kill Vader.

The prequels made me very sympathetic towards Anakin, and not at all sympathetic to the Jedi. I've said in the survey and in other threads that the Jedi, as depicted in the prequels, are at least as much to blame for Anakin's fall as Palpatine.

It's still easy to hate Palpatine, though, because all we see is his evil. He appears to be a true sociopath, where Anakin is just the opposite. If we found out that Palps was a normal person who went through some kind of trauma, it'd be easier to have some sympathy. We could see his behavior as yet another (albiet extreme) product of the tragic cycle of violence. And that might be the case, though I don't think we're meant to think so. From our perspective, all we know is that Palpatine loves one thing, and that is the feeling he gets when he forces someone to submit to his will through lies and violence.

12. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    He was manipulated from the time Anakin unknowingly confided in him.
    I hope that helps.May the Force be with you.

13. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002

The word Jedi sums up my description of a villain - Jedi are evil.

V, VI, IV, I, II, III

A

Obi-Wan

Mace Windu

A scowl.

Cookies.

Birthday parties.

Power. Unlimited power. And, revenge against the Jedi. The position of Emperor for him was a means to an end.

Attachment. He was too afraid of losing Padmé, and Sidious was able to use that to turn him to the dark side.

No.

12. Why or why not?

Only the strong survive, the weak will perish. When the strong fall, no one weeps.

No,

14. Why or why not?

Only the strong survive, the weak will perish. When the strong fall, no one weeps.

Do I think that his fall could have been easily avoided ? Yes.

When I was but a boy, seeing his death for the first time was a relief. Now I understand that his death was necessary to restore balance to the force since he had become far too powerful, even for a Sith.

I was sad to see hero (Luke) who I identified with as a boy die.

No.

18. Why or why not?

Because, like me, the Emperor was once a boy. A boy who lost his mother to a disease contracted when she tried to help a Jedi, and who lost his father to a wall of grief. Then he was abducted by Darth Shado and trained to carry on the Sith legacy.

No.

20. Why or why not?

Well, I guess he would more than the Emperor since he turned on all his friends and killed them.

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Someone who cares about themselves more than others, and only seeks power.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI.
    Kit Fisto.
    General Grievous.
    Evil and awesome.
    Evil and powerful.
    Evil and strong with the force.
    He wants to rule the galaxy and have unlimited power.
    He wants to save his wife, Padme Amidala.
    No.
    12. Why or why not?
    Because he only cares about himself and caused a lot of tragic events in the galaxy.
    No, but I do a little bit at the end of Return of the Jedi.
    14. Why or why not?
    He chose to go to the dark side and cause a lot of tragic events in the galaxy, but I do feel a little bit of sympathy for him at the end of Return of the Jedi when he finally turns good.
    Glad that he's finally gone.
    I wished that he hadn't died and became a Jedi.
    Yes.
    18. Why or why not?
    Because he showed that he only cared about himself and wanted power throughout the saga.
    Sort of.
    20. Why or why not?
    He didn't only care for himself, as he turned to the dark side to save his wife, Padme Amidala, but he did want power.

benknobi1 likes this.
  15. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Someone whose sole motivation is greed and will do anything to gain what they want, and/or has no respect for others.

A. V, VI, IV, I, II, III

Firmus Piett

Grand Moff Tarkin

Him destroying Alderaan...

Evil.

A tragic hero, sad and twisted.

Power.

He believed he could save Padmé.
    Also: he stayed as Vader because he gave up, I feel.

No.

12. Why or why not?

He didn't respect species rights, used fear to run the galaxy, only wanted power.

A bit.

14. Why or why not?

He brought it upon himself, but the Jedi didn't do much to help him. At least not as much as they could.

I didn't really...

I felt upset, because he showed he did truly have good in him.

Yes.

18. Why or why not?

See 12.

Depends.

20. Why or why not?

He did care about others originally and he cared about Luke, I'm not sure if he hid it in IV and V though. I'm also not sure if he was being greedy or he was just twisted into believing his greatest fear was only preventable through the Dark Side.

benknobi1 likes this.
  16. AmazingAhsokaT

AmazingAhsokaT Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2013

A evil person full of hate that only cares about himself.

B. 1-6.

Padme.

Darth Vader.

Father.

Pure evil.

Father.

Wanting unlimited power.

Wanting to be able to be powerful enough to keep the ones he loves alive.

No.

12. Why or why not?

Because he is pure evil and shows no mercy.

Yes.

14. Why or why not?

Because he only turned in to Darth Vader because of all his loss...hes hurt and confused...

I didn't feel much but i felt it was good that the evil Emperor gone...

I was sad...but happy that he went back to the good side

Yes.

18. Why or why not?

Because...he basically is what the description says

No...not completely.

20. Why or why not?

He doesn't just care about himself and he isn't pure evil...he has good in him.

17. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Padmé thought so too...

and look what happened to her.

18. AmazingAhsokaT

AmazingAhsokaT Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2013
    Well his good was just buried seep down in side of him then ._. He does save his son and defeat the Emperor..

19. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    A being who lacks the capacity for other-directed unconditional love.

An 8. I watch the movies and read the books and try and stay up to date with the news

Neither. I think it was Episode I, then the Original Trilogy, then Episode II then Episode III.

Leia Organa

Don't have one

N/A

Deceptive

Iconic

The desire for power and to use that power to rule over beings he perceived 'lesser'.

Also for power - he wanted to help put the galaxy in order, but also wanted to protect his family.

No

12. Why or why not?
    He is utterly in control of every decision he makes - everything he does is in cold blood. There's no reason to pity him for the choices he makes.

A little

14. Why or why not?
    He was let down by the Jedi Order's manner of training and using the Force, and that made him easy pickings for Palpatine's manipulations.

Victory.

Bittersweet - glad that he'd turned to the light side again, but sad that Luke would never have a father

Yes

18. Why or why not?
    He feels no love for anyone or anything, he is selfish and focused on his own advancement

No

20. Why or why not? He doesn't utterly lack the capacity to love others. His initial turn was partially motivated by love, albeit a possessive love. He is emotionally conflicted when he confronted with unconditional love in the form of Luke.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.