main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Yoda's Species

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Spam Bot, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Spam Bot

Spam Bot Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 16, 2012
    Will it be relevant to the ST?

Consider how zealously GL protected this secret from the EU; with the droves of SW literature that we have, there is no inkling about Yoda's personal history. There have been some attempts to elucidate this subject, but orders to halt them came down from top men. "Top...men."

It's always seemed odd that GL would keep this detail to himself for no apparent reason. Perhaps because it featured prominently in the (formerly uncertain) future of SW?

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    No i think it should stay unkown.

But i like the idea of a new character as the same Species as Yoda was. Young and "diffrent" just like Yaddle.

3. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree.

4. Spam Bot

Nov 16, 2012
    But why?

Does it really add that much mystique to Yoda himself or SW in general not knowing his race?

Episode Swag likes this.
  5. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Does it really add that much to know it?

6. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Because so much lore is centered around him and so many of the insights of the films are represented by him, if you add 100's more just like him, Yoda is diminished.

7. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    aguywithabiggun I don't think there would be hundreds, but maybe just another "Yaddle" type character. There couldn't be just one of his species, as we've seen at least 2 others that I can think of, so one more wouldn't diminish him, IMO.

To the OP, I don't think we'll see the origins in the ST. I will admit that I've wanted to know some backstory for some time now, but I would be just fine with some younger Yoda adventures rather than where he came from.

8. Spam Bot

Nov 16, 2012
    Not at all. But the nondisclosure on the matter is interesting, to say the least.

GL must have a reason to have withheld it for all this time, and I don't think it has been for the sake of "mystery".

For a long time after the OT, we had no idea what a Rodian, a Twi'lek, a Tradoshian or what species most of the alien characters were. In fact, I doubt many SW fans in that period thought that Yoda's species was really relevant to his uniqueness; he was a Jedi who happened to be from a race of green pointy eared dwarfs.

But GL obviously attributes some special significance to his species as he has kept mum on the topic and forcibly prevented others from treading anywhere near the subject.

He has let EU authors wreak havoc with the biographies of people like Mace Windu, Darth Bane, and even Palpatine and Plagueis. But Yoda is off limits.

Why?

9. Spam Bot

Nov 16, 2012
    I'm not advocating or suggesting in any way that we see more from Yoda's ilk, but I am questioning why there is so much official secrecy on the matter. GL permits the exploration of pretty much anything in his universe except for Yoda's history and species. I don't know what to make of it.

10. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Because he has special plans for Yoda, maybe we will find out now that a Yoda spin off is probably happening.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think the answer lies in the proposed "Yoda Origins" movie rather than the ST. It would explain why Lucas has always forbidden any EU source to delve into the character's background.

12. Spam Bot

Nov 16, 2012
    Personally, I doubt that would explain GL's secrecy because I very much doubt a "Yoda Origins" film was on his itinerary.

It must be for some reason relating to the SW saga, and the only conclusion I can reach is that it dealt with his tentative plans for VII-IX. Why else demure on the question as GL has (the only answers he's given as to Yoda's species is "he's a frog" and "the illegitimate child of Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy")?

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    We don't need everything spoon fed to us - Let Yoda be the GFFA 'Merlin' and leave it at that...

14. -Fett-

-Fett- Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2002
    personally, i like the "silent treatment" that GL seems to give to the idea of Yoda back story and origin of species. it is something unique to SW and EU and almost exclusive to a single character with such a powerful role in the Star Wars Saga as we know it - thus far. and it is a rare treat in and of itself.

however, if i were to wager a guess as to why "shhh it's a secret"; i'd have to admit that for me it makes since to say that for GL, the true underlying reason to keep the story to "himself" is because there are elements of Yoda's life/species that are aligned with elements of the original story line for the journal of the whills which are also a hush subject matter and clearly undefined in many ways.
    in other words, there's a much larger world out there and we only see a small piece of it through the lives of a few characters who we cherish and yet have chased to capture every detail for our own amusement and fallen in love with the fictional world as a whole. For GL, the stroy (we know and love) must have taken off so well and was accepted for what is was, so he ran with it, and ran, and ran, and wrote, and wrote ...perhaps without giving much more attention to some of the outside pieces of the story we already know, thus giving pause to filling in some of the gaps in the overall big picture story.
    at least that's how i see it.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really like the mystery surrounding the character, so no I don't really want to know what Yoda is unless I'm forced at gunpoint or something.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Sometimes mystery is good. I think it should stay that way for Yoda.

If the rumor of a Yoda movie is true, I hope it is an adventure that Yoda undertakes rather than "Yoda: The College Years".

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    If Yoda is revealed to be a giant, synthetically-grown Midichlorian, I'm offing myself.

18. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    George already said what Yoda is in the Episode 2 documentary 'From Puppets to Pixels', remember? He's the illegitamate child of Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy. "And if that hits the National Enquirer we're all dead." ;)

Seriously, though. What made Boba Fett less interesting was taking away the mystery behind his origins. Don't do that with Yoda. Please. [face_praying]

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  19. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I think people are reading into the "hiding the answer" part. I don't know why he would do that but it seems unlikely the reason is story related. We were never going to see 7,8 and 9.

20. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Unkown, forever. They can never come up with anything cool enough! Not knowing is the fun part!!

Julius Vernon likes this.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I know the secret. He's Duros...

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep and Cad Bane is his brother but no one in the family likes to talk about that because he's the black sheep.

23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think they could do an origins movie but still not reveal the species or homeworld. They could show the homeworld, they could show others of his kind but never actually name them.

Just occurred to me though - how annoying would it be if his entire species backwards all spoke?

Poor Greedo likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The one in KOTOR (I forget his name) didn't, did he?

As for the main topic, I doubt there's any big secret here. It's probably just been Lucas trying to keep one aspect of the Star Wars universe unexplored.