main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor A stand-alone Yoda film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ManaByte, Feb 4, 2013.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    No stand alone movies. Stabalize star wars with good products, then explore. Thats were we need to be.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

I thought the TV series was given the green light. Though I am unsure how they could do a whole show on what sounds like 2 parter story at best.

I think they cancelled AtoC and RotS because TPM didn't do great , that and general audiences don't seem to be as thrilled with 3-D as the Producers and Studios are. I still think they will release the OT on 33D though.

I think the CW tv show has probably 1 more series at best and even now the quality is varied ranging from great to poor depending on the episode or arc.

They are going to keep going. Lets be clear they didn't spend 4 billion without expecting a return from it. I just don't think Yoda is going to be it.

He was great for ESB as a side charachter in challenging peoples perceptions of what they thought a great Jedi Master would be and had some great lines about the Force and teaching Luke but by the PT when they CGI'd him people were laughing in the cinema at him bouncing around or piggy backing on Chewbacca and not in a good way.

3. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Star Wars has been milked for money for years, it's not like Disney is the first to try this. Look at all the toys, books, comics, etc. This stuff sells and I think Disney's thought process might be something along the lines of 'If a Yoda book could millions of copies why not a movie?'

So maybe that's what we will see, instead of a ton of EU books these stories will be told on the screen.

4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Are we going to see stand alone Star Wars films? Yes, without a doubt I'm quite certain we will. When? Can't say for sure, but one would imagine after the ST is complete. Lucasfilm and Disney have already hinted that this is their plan, and it makes sense. Disney can alternate years between Marvel and Star Wars films, (along with Pixar and other Disney Pictures films). Star Wars is a strong and profitable brand, and Disney will fully exploit it. In some ways, I'm actually more interested in the standalone films than in the sequel trilogy. I'm fine with how the Skywalker saga has been told, and I don't feel that it needs to continued (I'm assuming that's what the ST will be about).

There are a lot cool stories that can be told in the standalone films, but a Yoda one doesn't particular pique my interest.

And really, we're all going to sit back and believe Harry Knowles? He's track record hasn't been that great recently, and his reporting is rather abysmal. I would expect this to be nothing more than him speculating and ramping up hits to AICN (notice how fast news sites across the internet are reporting this rumor and linking to AICN).

Nothing to see here, move along.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I can't imagine a more irritating movie. This is a terrible idea that should be handled in flashbacks in small doses or something.

fett 4 likes this.
  6. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Just remember how bad Xmen Origins was with wolverine. Seemed like a good idea at the time but turned out horribly. I'm not sure they care that much though because Origins did make money.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, I remember this too. I think the quote was that *if* he were to go back to Star Wars, he'd be more interested in doing a movie about a young Yoda "fighting Sith" in the Old Republic than in a sequel trilogy.

8. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The only Sith Yoda ever fought were Sidious and Tyrannus

9. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    I am sceptical about the idea of a spin-off based on Yoda but who knows? It may be that all kind of ideas on the table right now for Lucasfilm/Disney. I think we must be careful though, there will be all sorts of rumors and infos on the web due to the change of guard with Lucasfilm and Disney and the mysteries surrounding Episode VII. They might no be true and that could be the case with this info of a Yoda spin-off. Especially that Lucas wasn't keen to reveal the origin of Yoda when he was in charge but that can change. We've seen that with the Plagueis novel.

10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm aware of that--it's why the quote stands out in my memory. Unless Yoda was cryogenically frozen in carbonite for a while, or if he didn't tell anyone else that he fought Sith, it doesn't make sense.

11. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Are you saying he's Vandar (from KotOR) or Oteg (from TOR)

12. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    By the way, these spin-off movies might make the canonicity levels more complex. I mean, sure, if it comes from Lucas, it'll be G-canon, but after that? Will the spinoff movies be G-canon, T-canon, or will they come up with yet another intermediate level of canonicity? :D

13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    This may be a good idea for an episode of TCW (which I don't watch, but that's beside the point), or even an episode of a potential live-action TV show.

But, IMHO a Yoda origin film just won't work well. Yoda is awesome, but, IMHO, the character can't really carry a film. Plus, I like the mystery that surrounded the character in the OT (and the PT, for that matter). I don't have any real interest in seeing where he comes from, what species he is, etc. We already know he's not the only one of his kind since we saw Yaddle?! in TPM. IMHO, the little we know about Yoda so far is enough.

That all being said, I would still see a movie about Yoda if it were to come out, despite my misgivings. Even a crummy SW film would probably be better than most other films out there...

14. darthzac14

Nov 8, 2012
    Would it be G-canon? George is retired and getting married so I very seriously he'll be around much longer. So what? Can't be D-canon (Detours), how about W(alt Disney)-canon?

15. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Do you honestly expect the comics not to move back to Marvel?

I mean, Disney owns Disney XD, and we all agree the Clone Wars will be moving to Disney XD. Disney owns Marvel Comics. So why in the world would they not move Star Wars comics back to Marvel Comics?

One thing I would be surprised to see, and that would be Marvel buying the rights from Dark Horse to reprint all of the Dark Horse Star Wars comics; like Dark Horse did with Marvel, only Dark Horse now has a lot more than 107 Star Wars issues. The most likely scenario would be to maybe continue the Brian Wood series, and jettison the rest. Basically the reverse of what Dark Horse did to the Marvel series (at least according to Brian Wood the Marvel stuff has been "nullified," and I have no reason not to believe him).

Anyway, same with the novels. Disney owns Disney Press and Hyperion Books. Post-Episode VII Star Wars novels will no doubt be publish by Disney Press and Hyperion Books.

Disney doesn't own a toy company. So Hasbro and everyone else is fine, I imagine.

As for the Yoda rumor, yeah, like I said, maybe do a TV mini series or something, but a movie... ? Has anyone used the "I got a bad feeling about this" yet?

16. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    So much negativity!

I imagine it would play like an old Samurai movie. We'd see flashbacks of HOW Yoda became a Jedi - his story and then we would see him grow more powerful in the force much to the surprise of the Jedi order.

BTW, as for him 'not fighting Sith' before the prequels. That's EU, there's no way that these new movies will be held back by that. They will simply write the stories they want to tell and let the EU come up with the retcons. Hell, even The Clone Wars TV series is doing that already.

17. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    Yoda is only 800 give or take a year or two...in TPM Yoda discusses with Mace and other members of the council that the Sith have been gone for over a millenium...so I think the first Sith Yoda encountered was Dooku

18. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    $-canon.

19. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    They're talking about spin offs for Yoda, Jabba, Fett, and someone else I forget. At least MSN is quoting. Weeeeee

Thats totally wizard, man.

20. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I am honestly fed up with all these constant rumors and obsession.This one in particular is complete and utter hogwash.

Just wait for the movie (EP 7) and official news for Christ's sake. Life goes on either way.

22. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    A Godfather 2 like structure for a father/son Fett movie could be interesting.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    My guess is that that Seven Samurai-inspired story was true (Vulture stood by their story) and that Yoda is involved in it. Very, very interesting. As for the ST taking 6 years that disappoints me for two reasons, 1) I really don't want them to rush these things and I think they should just take their time and get it right, 2) I love the three year gap for all the speculation and build-up and I don't want that to be shortened. But despite these concerns I'm still excited!

24. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
  25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

I wouldn't worry about that part. The first three "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies came out in 2003, 2006, and 2007, and I'm pretty sure they were just as complex (filming-wise) as the PT was.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.