main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan fiction comic help!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Master Thon, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Master Thon

Jedi Master Thon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2013
    I was thinking about writing a fan-fiction comic series (as in writing and not drawing). After watching a few videos online, I was completely clueless. I have a few ideas for story arcs, and I tried writing a script, at which I ultimately failed.

What I need is a volunteer artist who would draw, ink, and color (preferably digitally).

Please.

Mav Edit: Hi! We don't allow threads asking for specific help with a fanfic. I know you aren't asking for help with the writing, but we still don't allow threads with specific story details. I will leave your request for an artist here since we do have some artists that frequent the fanfic fourms and it's a very unique request, but your request might be better served in Fan Art, but make sure to read their rules before posting a request.

Here are the Fan Art Forums

2. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    Would it be OK if I wrote them in the form of short stories, and posted them one by one, after finding an artist, so they get the synopsis?

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Adapting prose to sequential art can be tricky. Most artists tend to work better off of a basic script format of some type, the simplest one being the following:

That is the simplest script format that I can think of. It separates the dialogue from the descriptions, and it will save the artist time, as they won't have to do it themselves.

Now, onto the art part... Art takes time. The average comic artist takes about a day to pencil a page, which is a 3 x 3 grid of a maximum of nine panels per page. If the artist is inking their own work, that adds more time. Coloring adds even more time. Unless you want speed-painting and simplistic styles, you're looking at a week's worth of work per page. At least. Doing a four-panel strip would take less time, but even those who do web comics usually make sure to have pages ready in advance.

What you're asking is for an artist to take time out of their schedule to draw your fan fic. While we may not readily admit it, some of us would want to be paid for that work. Others may already have other projects already lined up. Us starving artists are busy people. I wish you luck on your quest, but do keep in mind that you may not get a response right away, due to the factors I have listed.

Iverna likes this.
  4. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Pretty much what TrakNar said. I'm not sure you realise what you're asking for here. Have a look at comics and see how much dialogue and story usually fits onto a page - it's not much. Some webcomic artists do a strip every day, but those tend to be shorter and have fairly simplistic styles. And even that would be a lot to ask of someone when it's not going to be paid, you know? It's close to a full-time job.

I don't mean to be negative, and I wish you the best of luck. I'm just saying this because I know that most non-artists tend not to realise just how much work is involved in art. ;)

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You may post short stories in the Story Forums and ask in your authors notes if anyone would be willing to do some art for them. You can't use story threads as advertisements or just as a way to just post synopses. If you have a question about if what you've got fits into this, send me a PM/Conversation (or any of the fanfic mods) and we can take a look at it for you and let you know.

6. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    I guess I don't realize. I can always try to do something myself. I don't know about the quality of it, but I can always try.

Iverna likes this.
  7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    No harm in trying. If anything, you could do as Mav said and post short stories with author's notes inviting people to draw a scene or two if they so choose. In prose fiction, you'd have a scene to coincide with the page of text. At most an image every other page. That tends to be a fairly lighter workload for most people to handle.

8. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    That would work. And different art styles would complement each other. We'll see ;)

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Sometimes, I like to draw scenes. My focus recently has been on sketch cards, but if your short story has a scene in it that really gets my imagination going, or you have a character that I just have to draw, I might toss the cards aside and draft something up. Can't guarantee that it would be inked (aside from digitally) and colored, but who knows? It depends on how gung ho my muse is.

10. Jedi Master Thon

Feb 3, 2013
    I actually have trouble with scenes. But I draw characters alone sometimes. Just when I have nothing else to do. I never finish though, because I find flaws and start over.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As they say, great art is never completed... only abandoned.

Iverna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.