main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Bright Center: The Official Core Worlds Discussion Thread (Aftermath & Shattered Empire Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jan 4, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The precise phrasing was

"Do the math and you wind up with about 7.1 billion habitable stars in the known galaxy- that's about 3.2 billion habitable star systems. We haven't gotten everywhere yet- it's estimated that nearly a billion of those systems actually have someone living in them."

It also says "Only about a quarter of the galaxy has been properly surveyed. But there are more than five million intelligent species known to the Empire. Do the math, and you'll realize there have to be a fair number of species we've yet to meet."

Wild Space is characterized as having "been explored, however minimally, with the findings recorded in official logs, while the Unknown Regions have not"

In Star Wars Techical Commentaries, Saxton identifies The Star Wars Roleplaying Game 2nd Edition as the source for the 100 quadrillion beings figure:

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, I am not familiar with Darada. What sort of world is it? Guess I will have to go pull up the Wook and see what it says.

--Adm. Nick

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks, the way it was worded in the Atlas I didn't know whether or not the quadrillion number was for the represented worlds or all of the known systems

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Darada system appears in WEG's Tales of the Jedi SB; Jev Sunrider was the Jedi protector of the system; as Sinrebirth noted, Krayiss II is said to be near.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I was thumbing through my copy of the Essential Atlas and I noticed an interest bit about Nubia, which is another Core World that I would love to see more. Definitely in the Corellian sphere of infulence, supported the Confederation during the SGCW, and apparently the sight of some vicious uprisings following the Empire's defeat. Nubia apparently harbored hard feelings towards the New Republic for it's lack of action, while the New Republic argued that the uprisings and their violence were due to the actions of overzealous Corellian Rebel cells. THIS is the kinda stuff I love to see. Nuanced, incorporating numerous sources, and enriching the EU.

--Adm. Nick

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    So the (nearly) 100 Quadrillion beings, during the Republic era, only applied to the 50 million systems?

With the Empire having slightly more?

How many people would you put in the "nearly a billion inhabited worlds"?

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Jason, I would be curious to hear your thoughts as to why so many of the Core's main non-human species are located in the Southern Core. The Northern Core, especially the Arrowhead, is almost entirely populated by human species. Rakatan infulence perhaps? An effect of one of the Contispex Crusades?

The Duros are roughly mid-Core, but south of there we start seeing the Iphigini, Diamal, Ishori, Balosar, the beginings of the Herglic sphere of infulence. Rather interesting... [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

9. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Plus they manufacturer starships, which makes them even more interesting. Hopefully we'll see a few more of their military designs in the future.

Thank you very much, should have known better that there had to be an official explanation somewhere

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    While 3/4 of the galaxy isn't explored- that's 3/4 by volume, not by number of systems. Most of that volume will be the extremely sparse halo region.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I was thumbing through my copy of the LECG and I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Apparently, Duro was subjugated by Darth Krayt's Sith Empire and an Imperial naval academy was established there, with Duros teachers being forced to train Imperial officers. Not only does this point to a rather rapid recovery in the post-NJO period, but I wonder if the Galactic Alliance also maintained an academy there as well.

--Adm. Nick

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I always figured that Duro would have had a Hyperspace Scout and Merchant Marine academy since pretty much the founding of the Republic, which would later also be used to train people for the Security Forces/Military.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    yeah you would think the Duro's would have some major shipyards considering their role in the founding of the Republic and such.

I don't know about other battles during galactic history, but unfortunately, the space based defenses around Duro in the Annihilation novel were nearly non-existent.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, it did recover well from the Yuuzhan Vong War when the Vong terraformed it to show off what they could do.

About the only race to have benefited from the invasion.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That is why I am so adamant about seeing Duro in the post-NJO. The affect that this had on their culture would be tremendous. A restored world, lush and brimming with bronzium desposits, and situated on a nexus of trade routes would be a major power in the post war period. I imagine that their influence in the Galactic Alliance was rather increased.

--Adm. Nick

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Glancing over the list of sentient species in the Core Worlds over on the Wookieepedia, I saw two interesting ones that I didn't recall being Core Worlds:

Farrfin, home of the Farghul
    Skako, home of the Skakoan

IIRC, Farrfin was a major New Republic member that was attacked by Thrawn and Skako was a major part of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Skako seems to be one of those few Seppie Core Worlds, from what I can tell. But, based on how reclusive they were, it doesn't suprise me that they were not active members of the Republic during it's early years.

--Adm. Nick

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I heard that Wukkar, a major Core ecumenopolis first featured in WEG's Dark Empire Sourcebook, was a location visited in the Timothy Zahn's Scoundrels. I haven't picked up a copy of this book yet (admitedly, the topic isn't my cup of tea), but I wholeheartedly approve of using Core Worlds that only have name drops. All we really knew about the world was that it was captured by Ackbar during is Coreward drive to Coruscant and that it was attacked by the Vong.

If someone who has the book could share some details about the world, I would appreciate it!

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that was one of my favorite parts about the book from way back when the previews first dropped. I like WEG references, particularly DESB ones.

Details off of the top of my head... the name "Eanjer" is a native Wukkar name. There is a "Festival of the Four [something or other]" (the four things being fire, air, water, and earth) that essentially imitates a Coruscanti yearly festival (whose name also escapes me). We also learn the name of Wukkar's capital city, as I recall. And that's essentially it as far as world-building goes, sadly.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello

Well, that is better than nothing. To bad there isn't more about the world's history or government. Still, kudos to Zahn for pulling this obscure world out of the woodworks!

--Adm. Nick

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, you get some impressions of what Wukkar society looks like, the target being a rich, high-society power-broker guy.

21. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I suppose it's not a coincidence that the head of the GA Remnant is a Duro. It takes more than military prowess to hold down a job like that (as Peallon's rather spotty record proves) - it takes politics and clout.

22. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I often wonder how and why some of these more xenophobic species ended up joining the Republic.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So they are stereotypical Core Worlders? :p

--Adm. Nick

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, you get a little idea of the high-society element, but since he's hosting a celebration for this festival on his grounds (apparently it's a traditional thing for the festival to be celebrated through privately-thrown shindigs open to the public, like really classy fairs), you also get some idea of the day-to-day public coming through. It's not really comprehensive, but it's much more of a feel than we're getting for anywhere in FOTJ, or most of the other stuff.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't really generalize about Wukkar society from that though, b/c the characters involved just happen to be movers 'n' shakers on that world. You could have a high society heist on Tatooine too -- or at least what passes for society there.

We really don't know whether or not Wukkar is a stereotypically wealthy world just from that. Although I suspect that it is intended to be, yes.