main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Confirmed. Disney To Release Additional Films Based On ‘Star Wars’ Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Vastor, Feb 5, 2013.

?

Want to see character from movies or EU

1. Movies

59 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Movies and EU.

156 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. EU only

16 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    This is great news! I'd been expecting something like this, and to have it confirmed makes me very happy. I hope Lucasfilm will follow the Marvel route of 1-2 movies a year, but I'd still happily go see 3 movies a year as long as the quality is there. And once the ST is done, I'd like to see LF shift fully to the Marvel model of several movies about individual characters/groups building up every 3 years or so to a grand, Avengers-like ensemble movie where everyone plays a part. Yes, it's almost unavoidable that from time to time we'll get so-so movies - for me, again referring to Marvel, that was Thor and Captain America -, but I don't mind one bit as long as we also get Avengers-like masterpieces (please, please, please let Episode VII be one to properly reinvigorate the whole franchise...)

I really can't understand the people who are disappointed by this news. As has been said, if you don't like the very existence of those additional SW films, don't go watch them. Nor do I fear that the ST's quality will be diluted by these other movies, if that's what some people here are worried about. Disney certainly has the resources to produce them all with, at least, the visual quality we've come to expect from SW movies. And should something go very wrong and Disney/LF find that they have to choose between a ST movie and a standalone to allocate full resources to, which one do you think it will be?

2. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    love it love it love it.

More Star Wars movies beyond the ST.

Who's not excited about that? Disney is kick starting Star Wars and going into overdrive!

And I say BRING IT!

Chels, Lee_, Graphic and 3 others like this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If Disney delivers on these movies (new trilogy and spinoffs) and they are actually good, then the 4 billion they paid Lucas will look like pocket change.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    There would most certainly now be a Darth Vader movie - set between EIII and IV.

FinleySlade likes this.
  5. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Dunno how that would work. Hayden is, well, horrible, and James Earl Jones is getting a bit long in the tooth.

6. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    JJ is a busy guy and a perfectionist. Episode 7 may not actually be released until summer 2016, or possibly even as late as summer 2017. Don't be surprised.

7. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    Well we don't need Hayden - just another body builder.

As far as the voice is concerned - its possible it can be replicated in some way if JEJ can't do the voice.

8. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    True. The best JEJ stand-in I've ever heard was the guy who did the narration of the old, original Colony Wars game for the PlayStation:

Sounds 99% like him.

9. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope that they stagger between the episodes and standalones, so we get a Star Wars every years :). I think that they should take the standalone movies as a chance to break away from some of the standard Star Wars conventions, like maybe not have the opening crawl, or just go for a different visual style.

10. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised. Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi, looking for Obi-Wan, and plotting to overthrow Sidious would make for a great stand alone 3hr flick. Lots of potential for story here.

11. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The only thing that I can see being incredibly difficult is that when it comes to a Star Wars film, a lot of effort is put into developing the look and feel of the era. OT had a certain look, PT did as well, and I'm sure the ST will too. A lot of work was done to develop these eras, and the word paid off by carrying through three films.

So if we get these one-off films, are they going to have to adapt a look of the era the film takes place (like Boba Fett during the OT era) or would they be bold enough to give us a one off film taking place in an unexplored era (pre-PT) and go to all the effort of creating the look of the universe at that period of time for a single film?

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Why would you need Hayden for a Darth Vader movie?

13. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    No doubt.

And lots of Vader just kicking ass. That alone will generate HUGE $$$$$$$.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wait this means that I'll actually get my proposed Lethal Weaponesqe movie starring Lobot and the Ice Cream Man! [face_dancing]

15. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I'm all for a Vader spin-off set between Episodes III-IV, but agree with you 100% about the Matrix-style moves. The first scenes featuring Vader in James Luceno's "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" explore how uncomfortable Vader feels in his armour, how he cannot bend for long periods etc. I love those passages. They really add something to the events of Episode III and Anakin's fall.

Chels likes this.
  16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I hope the standalone movies come AFTER the trilogy. We don't need the distraction.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Spin-off may have a variation of the main theme, like TCW has.

18. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    most certainly NOT.

As i stated earlier, the skywalker Saga is contained within the Episodic movies. The spinoff movies wont focus on the skywalkers. We could get a movie that deals with the Empires forces and/or bounty hunters/assassins hunting down the Jedi on Vaders (off screen/hologram) orders, but we wont get a Vader-centric movie focusing on the purge.

19. TheManFromMortis

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I even think you could spend one than one film on that. I mentioned elsewhere that, if the LAS ever gets made, it could be good to tie the Vader spin-offs in with that.

20. TheManFromMortis

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I'm not so sure. I think there's a good chance that, somewhere along the line, we'll get a Vader spin-off. I certainly hope so.

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'd fully support a Darth Vader interquel between III and IV, that would be incredible and would make huge revenue. We like Darth Vader, we like the Emperor.

22. KevinM1

Nov 15, 2012
    Helmetless scenes? We know what he's supposed to look like now, so there's no reason not to see him in his special chamber.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Vader could finally be used as he should be, alas he was never used to his full potential in the OT due to budget and technology limitations.

24. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    I guess we just disagree. Based on whats been officially stated about the Episodes being about the Skywalker family saga, it doesnt make sense to have a non-Episode movie focus on a Skywalker.

Also, from a practical perpective, i just dont see a vader-centric movie making for a good film. For one, its rare for a movies protagonist to be a villan of pure evil, which during this time period, Vader is. Secondly, it would be next to impossible fo audiences to "relate" to a character whos face would be COMPLETELY invisible 99% of the movie. The closest thing i can think of is Dredd, but we alteast got to see Dredds mouth to get SOME facial expression. And he had a side-kick. And he was a good guy.

If there were a movie that dealt with the purge, the movie would likely focus on a jedi/group of jedi trying to hide from Vader. However, its highly unlikely that Vader would personally be directly involved in any of the action. He's 2nd in command to the Emperor, and you dont have guys like that getting their hands dirty. Anakin was only directly charged with Killing the younglings at the temple and trying to take out obi-wan. The emperor charged the clones with killing the majority of the jedi. Theres no reason to think the Emperor would suddenly change his strategy and chose to send Vader out to kill random jedi stragglers. Also, given the physical limitations of the suit, any jedi worth his salt would handle vader easily. Any way you look at it, a vader centric movie would not be good anyways. George Lucas messed up the majority of the prequel trilogy but even he was smart enough not to put Vader in the suit until the last few minutes of the movie.

25. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    what are you talking about when you say "Full potential?"