main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Will Disney finally reveal Yoda's species?
    Or, did Lucas keep that secret out of the negotiations?:p

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    when will you accept that we knew his species all along!

he is of the Whills!

kataja and SithStarSlayer like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Zor - What, you mean there hasn't been enough of a Jedi and glowing stick obsession in the material for the last decade and a half?

Forum is a second declension neuter, so the plural would be fora. Forums is also technically correct in English, but then so is apparatuses and that's wrong too.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    HENCEFORTH, HE SHALL BE KNOWN AS DARTH... BAN!

instantdeath likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    For us, sure, but your average movie fan's last voyage into Star Wars was ROTS.

They've still got to go through the phase of putting up with so many Sith of the MonthMovie that they grow bored of them.

Currently, though, LFL clearly still think there's more money to milked out of Darth Maul and his derivatives like Savage, so the masses aren't Sithed out yet like we've become after Caedus, Lost Tribe, etc.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    OHMIGOD I FORGOT ABOUT DENIS LAWSON

[​IMG]

General Antilles, bitches.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He has come a long way from just being Lieutenant Wedge [face_batting]

[​IMG]

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
  9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I hope you've watched Perfect Sense? That movie with Denis Lawson as Ewan McGregor's boss?

Or a documentary about Daiman creating a wookiee musical? Might work exceptionally well with the art house crowd if done in real 3D.

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I really hope we don't get a Young Han film.

At least one of the benefits of a post-ROTJ movie, is that though it may destroy post-ROTJ EU, it probably would not mess with pre-ROTJ EU, but with a Young Han film, i fear that a bunch of pre-ROTJ EU will be screwed.

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Never really liked the Young Indiana Jones films (and that was back when I was the same age) so not particularly interested in Young Han Solo either.

I don't mind wisecracking heroes when they're a bit older (and Han was the older member of the cast), but I've never been particularly fond of smartass teenagers. That's why I prefer Peter Parker to most of X-Men's cast. Radioactive spider bites aside, he just always seemed to have more relatability and humanity to me than the cliche jerks that infest so many television shows both back then and still today.

Not that a Young Han Solo story has to portray him as a jerk, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't the way they approached an inexperienced, overconfident, cocky Han Solo.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm more bothered by the Fett business. I am so tired of Fett.

Of course, the young Han stuff is dangerous to the EU too.

krtmd likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Christ, I'm good.

cthugha and krtmd like this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    At least all the TCW haters can look forward to Mandalorian history being rewritten again. :p

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No, he won't be a Mandalorian. He'll be some random officer of the law -- let's call him a "Journeyman Protector" -- who donned Mandalorian armour after he was disgraced and... hm. Weird. Déjà Eu.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Christ, you're good.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If Disney uses Wedge as a Rebel/New Republic/(Insert New Government Here) general in the Sequel Trilogy, I woudl die of delight. Denis is a fantastic actor and he would bring that perfect sense of gravitas to a role like that. Hell, if Disney really wants to make me happy, they would establish that Wedge eventually became the Supreme Commander after Ackbar's retirement.

It still galls me that the Expanded Universe didn't make Wedge the eventual Supreme Commander. I mean, Jesus folks, who is better qualified? A Gary Stu Bothan or the greatest pilot ever, who also happens to be a kick ass fleet commander, who just so happened to be mentored by the greatest military leader of modern times.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    In your totally unbiased opinion? o_O

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Are you talking about my Ackbar comment?

If so, the EGTW refers to him as that, so apparently it is an accurate in-universe claim/opinion. Not that such claims, IU or OOU, can be claimed as fact, as any debate on military leaders ends up being an exercise in futility.

The point of my post is that Wedge is the "every man" hero of the Rebellion and a survivor, so it would be awesome to see that he rose from a rookie pilot in ANH to the commanding officer of the post-Empire galactic government's military.

It just fits, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll grumble about this, but in the end, I suppose I'll just accept the Han Solo movies (should they come to be) as an alternate origin for Han. Could be fun. I'd like an actual dramatization on how Han meets Chewie. Who knows, maybe they could even work with the HST, even if it seems that trilogy documents everything Han ever does.

If they go crazy with these origin stories, are there any in particular you guys would like to see? I imagine Yoda, Boba Fett, Han Solo, and Darth Vader all have very good chances at solo movies, depending on how well each of them do.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I doubt Wedge would actually want to be Supreme Commander, too much politics, he is clearly more one of those battlefield commanders that is insanely popular with the Troops and the media, but only slight less annoying to his political supervisions then his actually enemies. Though he was Supreme Commander of the Correlian Confederation, at least for a while. Plus let’s be honest who of the people who actually fought in the Rebellion wouldn’t just quite the Defense Force the minute they picked Daala as Commander in Chief?

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I just thought of something, and it scares be; I can easily see them doing a Darth Plagueis movie. If that happens...

[​IMG]

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You know, I believe them when they describe the EU as a well of ideas, so it's not crazy that they might use the rough spine of Han's EU backstory. I think Disney continuity could end up being a place where a lot of EU stuff happens, just not exactly the same way--like the two versions of Palpatine's kidnapping. In any event, even if they flat-out adapted the HST, or even Lost Legacy or something, there would always be changes from one medium to another. The question for us, then, will be which version of the event we believe "happened".

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. As I said in the other thread, it's possible that a Solo film would at least preserve the Daley stuff. Those would at least be respected by the likes of Kasdan. Heck, a filmic Daley would be awesome -- I know this despite having never read them properly! VSDs on screen? yes!

II. It would be really sweet if the Fett movie decided to restore the early EU's version of Fett. :p Chance of that are approximately negative five percent, but... :p

III. Count me in for supporting old man Wedge in the ST! Or a Wedge spinoff. (man I really wish I had my gamecube around -- Rogue Leader voiced by Lawson = awesome)

You missed McEwok's comments on that the other day... ;)

Also given how much Wedge refused promotion, I doubt he'd like to be supreme commander.

Although they could have someone like Rieekan or Dodonna as Ackbar's successor, imo.

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Wasn't there some degree of Lucasfilm involvement with the outline of those books, to begin with?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.