main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I know to the point where they wouldn't allow Han and Chewie's first meeting to be dramatized, preferring that be left to the imagination, and that she wasn't allowed to use certain things, but I'm not sure how different that is from other SW novels.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Found it, from an old interview:

Esg and CeiranHarmony like this.
  3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you know, I trust disney to make great epic movies... I will like them. even if they contradict the EU. and I still love my EU above all.

But what worries me most is not Disney contradicting the EU or mining it for ideas... but what worries me most is the EU trying to adapt to all these changes and movies when moviefolks clearly see it as a separate entity whereas the EU screws itself just to fit to the movies that do not care to make themselves fit to the EU. like with some issues where ignorance or not mentioning anything would be best for EU and movies to get along, some authors reference it anyway and screw the EU with EU, not with the movies that leave ambigious explanations open still (as with dathomiri hybrid species thingie that is no problem so far until an author decides to say all witches are like that). so... it is less movies screwing EU but EU screwing itself due to EU folks defining all as one big continuity that is movie dominated not equal... whereas moviefolks define EU as separate well of ideas with no relevance to movieverse.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    So when's the EU funeral?

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    May 16 - 25, 2015.

darthzac14 likes this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm sure the EU isn't going to die. Hurt yes, but not die. TCW is technically EU, and im sure Disney is not going to want to contradict that. And i think there is a strong possibility that they will leave the Old Republic era, and Pre-Republic era alone, so im sure the EU in those eras are safe as well. I think most of the Prequel era (or Rise of the Empire era) EU is safe as well.

Of course Disney could flip us a bird, by stating somewhere in there future films, that the Sith always had a RoT, or state something completely against DoTJ, or how the Sith came to be. Say there never was a Sith species, etc.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Or, hilariously, Madine. [face_mischief]

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know why people keep saying "Disney this" and "Disney that," as if Iger is going to be making creative decisions.

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    oh come on.. why not use a veteran who's been a General since before the Clone Wars! Super Bombad General Jar Jar Binks got experience, especially if paired with a certain by now hopefully highranking Lepi Admiral

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No -- Senator Binks is of far too esteemed a rank to be a mere general officer once more. He's a war hero and a statesman, so he has to be Chief of State.

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He likely only lost to Daala by 2 votes... [face_whistling]

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I bet all of you $10 that Jar Jar has a cameo at the Senator from Naboo in the new Republic. Mark me folks, it will happen.

--Adm. Nick

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't you mod the ST forums? This should hardly surprise you

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Obviously a Binks origin film is in order.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I expect a little more out of Lit.

Not much. Just a little. :p

Esg likes this.
  16. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Who voiced Wedge Antilles? An American, I know

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    ST Forums: Thinks fanfiction is valid proof

Lit isn't as full dummy as they are yet

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Are you sure about that? [face_beatup]

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Pablo actually just posted today a repost of his hunt for the Fake Wedge.

It mentions there that David Ankrum was the voice of both Wedges in ANH.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, hypothetical question: if Jania Solo isn't in the ST at all, but it's not mentioned that she does not exist, and there's a novel published that is "Jania Solo And Her Wacky ST Adventures", which explains why she's not mentioned, why she's not there, what she is doing, etc., to make her fit into the ST, would you accept it? I'd be totally fine with that, actually. It's an official Star Wars novel after all, even if it has a really bad title.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's actually how I'm hoping any major EU/ST overlap can be handled.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm thinkin' that's how it'll roll. the EU doesn't do many "not canon" labels, it's more retcon, retcon, retcon. Heck, even stuff people thought was not canon like the Marvel run suddenly had a character pop up in the novel series.

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ditto.

Going by the PT's example, it's the most likely situation anyway, as we didn't exactly see that many OT characters in the PT, but Han Solo was still obviously born and doing something somewhere, not flash grown in a tank in between the PT and OT.

To some extent, I wouldn't actually be hugely surprised if we only saw Luke, as while they might still want to make the films the "Skywalker Saga", the focus will inevitably be on new protagonists, but if you make everybody family it limits what character dynamics you can have (no love triangles, etc), so they might want to keep things simpler with just Luke and child.

After all, if Han had showed up in the PT, I'm not really sure what Lucas could even have done with him beyond it just feeling like a gratuitous cameo that had little direct significance to Anakin and Padme's relationship or Palpatine's machinations.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

thx for the 10$, according to one of the japanese Mangas JarJar is dead according to his son ;) we just did not see how it happened yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.