main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion WILL THEY BE ANY GOOD?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jennysolo, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I was talking to a friend about the a few months ago. He said, "After the PT trilogy, Star Wars can't go any place but up."

I think Abrams will have many comparing Episode 7 to Star Trek, to see if he can do with one what he did for the other. Either way with a great screen writer and a Director well suited for this type of movie, it's will no doubt be concidered better that any of the Prequel movies.

KilroyMcFadden, Dra--- and Darth kRud like this.
  2. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Lord Lucas weeps. Oh does he weep.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    There's something about that phrase "apply the same formula to SW" that breaks my heart.

Julius Vernon and Count Yubnub like this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    For me, "good" means fun, exciting, fulfilling, and rewatchable.
    Star Trek into Darkness is already widely anticipated but I'm expecting an extra boost in the film's interest by those curious about J.J. Abrams' work.
    Anyway, one description of a movie that often annoys me is that it is "good". First of all, a lot of movies I hear described as "good" just aren't to my liking. "Good" seems to often be based on Friday Night Outing Entertainment Value. You went out with friends, you ate at a restaurant, you told jokes about co-workers and kittens, you saw a movie and your friends/date liked it too along with the popcorn you ate with it, so by the end of the night, everything was "good". This is one reason why I prefer to watch movies alone. I don't want to be distracted thinking about how it entertains another person. It is so vague and subjective that I never know how to answer the question "was it good?" I hate that question. I hate that people who know I hate that question keep asking me that question. People said The Avengers was "good." I didn't like it. Maybe it was "good", but I didn't like it. I think the new films will be generally appealing to people--but hopefully not too appealing to the theater-going masses--but certain STAR WARS fans will really dislike them no matter what simply because of the canon idea thing (and go see them ten times to come up with more reasons why).

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Is this another "will the new movies suck like the PT?" thread?

[​IMG]

6. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Well, this is the $64,000 question, isn't it? While I'm excited by all of the recent developments, a lot of the people I know are rather cynical regarding the prospects for the new films. Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding. We'll just have to wait and see. There are a lot of indicators to me that we could possibly see a kind of renaissance for Star Wars, but of course I wouldn't want to jump the gun on that call. It looks like Lucasfilm is pulling together a great deal of talented people to get this right, and that's encouraging. My only real concern is that they don't get overly ambitious and bite off more than they can chew.

7. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    There's no way they'll be bad. Chances of them being as poorly received as the prequel trilogy... very low.

They might be average, and there's a good chance they'll be "Good" or better. I'm willing to bet there will be plenty of critics who compare the quality to Empire Strikes Back.

Jennysolo likes this.
  8. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    We'll just have to wait and see. I personally don't hold much hope. I am afraid Disney is going to milk it completely dry, worrying more about profit than quality. As if they weren't rich enough already.

I am already annoyed and nearly fed up with the constant stream of rumors and hype. People can't just enjoy something, they have to obsess and take it too far. I just enjoy things for what they are, I don't freak out and let it run my life. Soaking up every rumor and news bit like it is an addiction. It frankly makes me sick how people react to things these days.

9. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    This is what you and the person sitting next to you will say to each other as soon as the credits roll.

Graphic, Jennysolo and Darth kRud like this.
  10. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
  11. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Can't be any worse than AotC, which is one of the worst big budget movies ever made.

12. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I am with you 100%.

I stated something similar elsewhere, but people cite the success of Marvel in the standalone films and Avengers, but I do think this is a very different beast. Those same characters in Marvel have had standalone comics for years. Avengers has a "roster" that turns over as a natural order of things. Star Wars is very different. This isn't a team that gets together for bigger action than they can handle on their own, this is about a group of people brought together through an extraordinary confluence of events.

The films can work well, but the formula isn't as simple as Marvel. There has to be a good reason for films in Star Wars, particularly standalone films. We don't need to know the origins of every character (especially Yoda).

Star Wars will take more complex writing and a greater effort because Star Wars is more complex and is a greater universe than the Marvel universe.

(I say this as HUGE Avengers fan, I've read nearly every Avengers comic published).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If Abrams' Star Trek is any indication the new films will be good enough to watch once, mildly enjoy the dumb fun, and never have any desire to go through the experience again.

14. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber and HankSolo like this.
  15. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Time will tell. We'll find out when we see them.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ummmm

[​IMG]

17. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree, Battlefield Earth is also one of the worst.

18. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Lucas' competition. Scientologists. The whole Jediism thing.....

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Ooooo, just got some pre-prequel flashbacks. Out, damn thoughts. Out, I say.

20. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    No fair quoting from a Magic 8-Ball.

21. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    You know what? VII has to be very good. If Disney expects to maximize their investment, they must come out strong here. The prequels really damaged the brand. I dont buy into the idea that people will go see this film, or any SW film, just because its SW.

Maybe in the 80's they would've. Times are very different now, and this VII thing is going to make or break the future of the franchise. So, be glad Lucas is away from it. Kennedy, by the way, is behind some of the best loved and highest grossing films of all time. It's in very very good hands. [face_coffee]

Darth kRud and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  22. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    She did the Goonies that all we need to know. Darth Chunk. Other than that her filmography is most impressive. I hope she can help craft an epic feel to the new trilogy. I wonder if she's gonna bring in Frank Marshall (husband) as they seem to have worked on a lot of films together.

23. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Well, yes of course! I meant that now they know how to make a genre movie successful, with good casting, top-notch effects and whatnot. That sort of formula.... :) I completely agree that they need more complex writing and a much greater effort. And I'm confident they will do so.

I'm sad that Lawjedi thinks I'm no fun anymore... :(
    NOT! ;)

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I'm sad because Monty Python references shouldn't require explanation.

25. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I, for one, did not find Attack of the Clones all that terrible

*ducks head*

I think that Count Dooku was under-utilized as a character and I'll admit that the chemistry between Anakin and Padme was non-existent. But, I did enjoy Jango Fett and Kamino. And I, for one, liked watching Yoda kick major tail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.