main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Red Dead Redemption

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ezio Skywalker, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    So I finally sucked it up and bought this game today at Target for $19 (later found out that Amazon had the Game of the Year edition for $24 with shipping [face_plain] ).

Obviously at first I was kicking myself, but I probably never would have got the game if I hadn't seen it in the store. This game never really appealed to me, but I've incessantly heard how amazing it is and how I simply must give it a whirl.

That said, I just started playing and just met with the Sheriff of Armadillo for the first time. So far I'm not sure if I care for it. The graphics are beautiful and the voice acting is superb, but...it feels so dry and dull to me.

Guess I'm just not a fan of westerns.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I found RDR a bit like GTA Vice City, actually -- there was more pleasure just in drifting around the landscape on my horse than actually doing missions as such. (Many's the hours I spent just driving in an open-top car up the coastline at sunset, just sitting back and listening to the car radio... :D )

It feels pretty dry, but to me that was a bonus: it's so dry it's gritty. :D

3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I hope it picks up. I'm just not feeling it as is.

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The story does pick up. Once you get to Mexico the action really gets crazy. I loved this game but riding your horse from point A to point B got really tiresome. I guess I would've been a crappy cowboy.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I gotta disagree. Mexico is probably the weakest part of the game. Just too tedious and...I dunno, I got the feeling you needed a shower after being done with the story missions there. But riding around and doing random stuff is arguably one of the best parts of the game. The side missions are pretty awesome, especially a few of the stranger encounters.

RDR was for many a GOTY for good reason: it's simply full of too much awesomeness. You should really give it a chance to grab you, Ezio.

6. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I just kidnapped people on my horse [face_plain]

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Congratulations, you purchased the best game ever made for nineteen bucks.

(But seriously, it's a personal favorite.)

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I too am growing tired of the constant horseback riding. The controls are so clunky. It almost reminds me of Assassins Creed 1.

9. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I loved that game. Excellent music and voice acting, beautiful graphics. So fun - I hope they make another. I'm a long time fan of the GTA series but I liked Red Dead better than all of them.

The Zombie expansion is a lot of fun too.
    [​IMG]

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Give it a chance. It started up slowly for me, but once I got into it, it was fantastic. Some of the best voice acting of this generation, a superb storyline, easy-to-handle combat, and powerful images. This is one of my favorite video games. My favorite is still tied between Grim Fandango and Okami.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The voice acting is very good, but unfortunately I hate the southern accent. Reminds me of all the trashy people I've had to deal with at my job. :(

I have been enjoying it a bit more, however (so long as I'm not talking to Bonnie--ugh). But I have two concerns:

1) aiming your gun at outlaw gangs while on horseback is quite the pain
    2) are there any main missions? The game seems to be made up of dozens of side quests without any real plot quests. I can't find any mission that progresses the story, only dozens upon dozens of strangers to find, bounties to collect, and wife-beaters to shoot.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Pretty sure initials on the map = quest that advances the story in some way.

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Ok, that's what I was starting to suspect, but I wasn't quite sure. Thanks.

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The mission structure is confusing to those who haven't played GTA games, Valyn. You simply go to the NPC initials when they pop up on the map. But you can ignore them completely and do whatever the hell you want.

Gotta disagree in the horseriding being clunky, it's almost as smooth if not smoother than Assasin's Creed.

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    That gets a lot easier as your "Deadeye" power gets stronger. That thing turns running battles into literal cases of "paint the target and watch the bullets fly."