main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor 'Star Wars' spin-offs: A young Han Solo movie, and a Boba Fett film -- EXCLUSIVE

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Krueger, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Reading the book scoundrels I hope they would make a Han's 11 heist style movie. Love those type of movies.

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I believe Ford was 35 in AHN. In theory, you gotta strike anyone who was born before 85, right? (that's depressing...)

3. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I’ve got this radical idea. Hear me out before you call the crazy wagon. How about they do spin-offs from the established Star Wars universe as a whole instead of preexisting characters? For that matter, how about they start their next trilogy without drudging up characters from the preexisting saga? A saga that is now closed.

It’s almost as if Disney/Lucasfilm is going up and beyond, out of its way, to do any-and-everything with this franchise except, ya know, ((((((((((CREATE SOMETHING NEW)))))))))))

This isn’t Marvel, where recurring characters are the primary element – the constant – while big storylines come and go. When George Lucas drew up the characters in his universe, he did so for a reason: putting them into service to tell a larger story. A story with grand themes and mythic ideas. That’s Star Wars. It’s about the big picture. I mean, what. in. the. hell. ....are they gonna do...with a "Han Solo" movie? Or a Yoda movie? Or a Lando movie? Or having Luke and Han and Leia and the alleged kids come back for Episode VII? Good grief. There’s no story with any of these, or, to put a finer point on it, no story worth telling. Uh, okay, sure, you can hire some writers to script whatever narrative they can to generate base drama and few thrills in order to appease geek culture’s obsession. But at what value? Han Solo was interesting because of how he played into the larger events of the OT storyline, not because he’s an interesting character on his own. He’s a two-dimensional character when you get down to it. They all are, to one degree or another (Luke and Anakin being the most complex, relatively speaking). They’re supposed to be. Again, people, it’s not about the characters, but the age-old archetypes these characters represent and how said archetypes are incorporated thematically to express morals and truths and wisdoms across a vast mythic tapestry. Forcing them into spin-offs or dragging out their storylines past their expiration dates is just reducing classic archetypes into something mundane, weekly, disposable. Star Wars is space opera, not space...Buffy.

They’ve gotta whole galaxy to work with. Think about new ideas and create new characters to serve those ideas. Use the first film of this upcoming trilogy as a spring board for side characters to spin-off on their own, and then have them join in center stage with the following trilogy installments. Something like that.

StarWarsVerses and FRAGWAGON like this.
  4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Today = greatest day ever.

I was absolutely devastated when the rumor about the Joe Johnston Boba Fett film faded away a year or so ago. If done right this could be amazing beyond comprehension. I'm a little more nervous about the Solo movie and my sympathies to whoever would get the part because they have a tall order ahead of them, but it could work.

5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    pretty cool

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I want my Ewan McGreggor "Obi-Wan: That Wizard's Just a Crazy Old Man" movie!

7. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    How about SW:Gremlins. This way you just add water and there are millions of them. o_O

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm very much looking forward to a Boba Fett film or two and there is certainly much that can (and I imagine will be) done in the early post-ROTJ timeline. As such, I'd absolutely welcome the idea of it taking place after Jedi.

This is not to say that I don't want to see an origin story showing Boba's rise to prominence, but the idea of watching Boba Fett survive the Sarlaac and then consolidating his power in both the Outer Rim and the Coruscant Underworld following the collapse of Jabba's criminal empire sure is tempting.

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Puh-leeze. Cry me a river.

10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Daniel Logan was brilliant. As far as I'm concerned, he is Boba Fett. Won't wet myself if it ends up being Tem, though.

11. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Not only tempting, but it makes the most sense, after the way Fett fell into the Sarlacc, the Character needs to be redeemed and if done right disney could have a multi-million Trilogy on their hands outside of the ST, and think of how it would expand the universe on screen........

It coould even redefind Fetts orgins as not a clone but of the true bloodline of Manalore. Fett could find his destiny as the new Manalore and rebuild the warrior group and even make a apperance later on in the ST.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't really like Boba Fett that much, but if they're going to do a spin-off focused on him, I think it almost has to be post-ROTJ: anything else means that the audience will always have in the back of their heads that this guy they're (presumably) watching be cool on the screen will ultimately come to a highly ignominious end, and that's going to make him a bit less cool.

13. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I ain't reading all 10 pages. Suck it. This is a fan-freaking-tabulous idea. Read it on Huffington Post and was shell-shocked. Han. Boba. My ass in tha theater, in a pool of soda with popcorn oil dripping down my face. Where's the Disney-hate, now???

14. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    I'm going to try the Boba Fett Crawl again .......

THE GALAXY IS IN TURMOIL, JABBA THE HUTT
    HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY THE JEDI KNIGHT
    LUKE SKYWALKER AND HIS FRIENDS
    NOW CRIMINAL GANGS, SCUM AND VILLIANY FORM
    ACROSS THE OUTER RIMS RUSH TO TATTOONIE
    IN A ATTEMPT TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE VAST RICHES
    LEFT BEHIND BY THE HUTT AND A BLOODY GANG WAR HAS ENRUPTED
    ACROSS THE UNDERWORLD
    WHILE THE SECTOR BURNS, FAR OUT INTO THE DUNE SEA,
    A OLD BOUNTY HUNTER IS ON A MISSION OF HIS OWN, A MISSION
    THAT COULD CHANGE THE FATE OF THE ENTIRE UNDERWORLD.....

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Obi-wan is an old guy in ANH so Ewan playing him as a younger man worked

Han in ANH is a guy in his 30's so it's going to be a hell of a lot tougher

16. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Welcome to corporate greed man. The ruiner of all good things. As I keep saying, quality...not quantity. Disney just had record profits....but more money is never enough for people driven by greed. :confused: They have turned into the oil companies. I think Walt Disney is rolling in his grave honestly.

As much as I despise theaters....if they made SW movies with Sith VS Jedi battles the size of LOTR scale with no Jar Jar's or Ewoks...I would actually PAY to go see it!! Until then, I wont. Not going to happen. I don't support things with my money unless it is QUALITY. Until I see a trailer and know the stories for these new movies, I am on the fence about all this.

I am much more for a Old Republic era movie than something after EP 6. IMO it's a more epic time frame than the movies, with Sith everywhere. Much more room for stories. I keep saying this, but the 3 min CGI Trailers for SWTOR were better than the prequels. THAT Is what I in-vision SW being. The game may not be perfect, but I'll be damned if the trailers aren't some of the best SW ever done. If only the new movies were done on that caliber.......

This "news" is a crock if you ask me.

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    What makes you describe this as EU bashing? I'm just saying, who cares if there's two different stories of Han Solo? There's already like, easily....six different versions of the Clone Wars throughout the years. The only reason a movie invalidates the book you read is if your imagination is too limited, and too slavishly devoted to someone else's construction of a world that it can't tolerate two different stories. The fact that you construe my comment as being EU bashing, or even negative towards either the movies of the EU is concerning.

I actually know for a fact that one Disney exec said, at a major shareholder meeting, words to the effect that "story is secondary."

LawJedi likes this.
  18. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Manti Te'o could play Boba Fett

19. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    This movie shouldn't be made but if they must, they should cgi Harrison and make the thing gritty as hell, a very hard R rating.

I couldn't resist.

20. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    That shot of Tron guy looks like he could work. I would probably prefer a complete unknown so it's not a distraction.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Either Morgan Freeman or Dame Maggie Smith. Maaaaaybe Ken Jeong.

22. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    You might wanna check your production facts on that.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Secondary ! I knew that paying 4 billion for Starwars, it was gonna be milked but surely even the Execs must realise that people only got interested in Stawars in the first place BECAUSE OF THE STORY!!

24. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    If this is true, think there is enormous potential - if done "right". And naturally, when I say done "right", I selfishly mean done to cater to what I want to see! ;)

For me, the Han/Chewy/Falcon elements of ANH (and the other movies, but especially ANH) echoed a certain kind of space fiction that I associate with kind of great pulpy sci-fi written in the late 50s, early 60s, which suggested that at some point, or on some other worlds, space ships would be almost like cars or RVs are today - a run of the mill fact of life. And that adventurous souls would just hop in theirs and zip off across space, having all sorts of adventures, stopping in the intergalactic equivalent of an all night diner on the highway, or at some bar, which would be populated by a wild assortment of "aliens" (well, alien to us!), and so forth. I really hope they tap in to this again for the "young Solo" movie. And as to Fett -- need much be said? Done right, the potential there is enormous. Can't wait!

25. welles76

welles76 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.