main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How long was Luke on Dagobah?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vialco, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    We're only seeing what we're seeing because the film made a very different point than you are trying to make. The scenes that are there are there for a reason. The problem is, you guys would like the story to say something other than what IT IS ACTUALLY SAYING. There is no backup hyperdrive, there is no shred of evidence of it. There is plenty of evidence in the movie that they can't make the jump, because they tell us that. It's pretty straightforward actually.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You're only seeing what you want to see and ignoring any points that could imply otherwise, like the fact that we never see them try to make a jump while not being chased and shot at. After they fail to make the jump Han actually tries fixing the ship. If that's such an inconceivable possibility, why is he even bothering? Are we intended to see him as the kind of character who does things that are pointless? Then - after allegedly traveling at sublight speeds - they pop up in a completely different star system, after a scene where they pick and choose amongst several. Which doesn't make sense unless we keep in mind that we didn't see everything they did in the interim.

[​IMG]

rumsmuggler likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe they got sucked into a black hole and winded up where they needed to be?

4. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I didn't ignore anything, I read everything everyone had to say on the subject. Not buying into an argument is not the same thing as ignoring it. The movie stands on it's own, and speaks to the issue itself. As I said earlier, we could invent hundreds of rationalizations, none of them carry the weight of WHAT IS ACTUALLY SAID IN THE MOVIE.

And you can't use their destination as convincing proof against what I'm saying, given that the destination was exactly where they said they were going to go BECAUSE THEY CAN'T MAKE THE JUMP TO HYPERSPACE

5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

That's exactly my point, you can invent anything. There is no reason to buy into any invented argument over what is actually presented in the movie.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's mostly the assumption that Star Wars is sci-fi rather than space fantasy, taking place in a galaxy very much like our own.

A galaxy where the Millennium Falcon can only move at 1.5 times the speed of light, and yet "could be on the other side of the galaxy by now" a few minutes or hours after it's disappeared, is one truly alien to the laws of physics as we know them.

7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Star Wars plays very loose with the physics. It is more fantasy than hard Sci Fi.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is why EU writers have been trying to turn it back into sci-fi. Zahn springs to mind.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But then people will get it confused with Star Trek, and the universe will then explode.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not that likely.

Turning Star Wars into a universe where every planet is a month's journey or so away from the next at sublight speeds, making a parsec a unit of distance rather than time "(I'll be with you in a parsec") etc- that sort of thing is bound to rub up fans the wrong way.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've seen this topic so many times it isn't funny anymore.

I would say Luke was on Dagobah for at least a month or so, maybe two at the most.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I can use their destination, because their destination is not something they can reach by sublight in the given timeframe. And yes, the destination was exactly where they said they were going to go, because that is what destination means. "Good point". But no, you're not ignoring anything. Just the fact that it would take years to go between star systems at sublight speeds; the fact that they were never shown trying to go to hyperspace when not being chased and shot at by a Star Destroyer; the fact that Han seemed to believe the hyperdrive was fixable while in space; the fact that SW books being sold right now on the official website contain ratings for the backup hyperdrive; the possibility that Han and Chewie were able to get the backup hyperdrive operational. You're not ignoring anything - other than all the points which undermine your position.

I think in that case we must by necessity assume that ".5 past lightspeed" does not actually mean "1.5 times the speed of light", but something else that isn't explained.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I suppose they could have had it as "The gas giant Bespin, in the Anoat system".

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    In hyperdrives, the smaller the number, the faster the hyperdrive.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

Not my position, the movie's position. And nothing anyone wrote here carries more weight than what is seen in the movie.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In case you missed it, almost everything I wrote was about the movie.

Hoth, Anoat, and Bespin being different systems? In the movie.

Han being a mechanic? In the movie.

Han trying to fix the hyperdrive while in space? In the movie.

The movie never showing an attempt at hyperspace when not in a life-or-death situation? In the movie.

The fact that the movie didn't show us everything that happened? In every movie.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm not missing or ignoring anything. I'm simply not buying it. The movie is clear.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You're ignoring every point that contradicts that assumption.

As I said, no movie shows everything that happens to the characters. There are time jumps. You may wish to believe that what happened in those time jumps fits your theory, but you can't prove it. You're merely projecting your preferred outcome into the gaps. That hardly makes it "clear".

You haven't explained why Han thinks he can fix the hyperdrive in space, if it's so impossible that the hyperdrive could have been fixed in space.

You haven't explained how a journey of over a year took place in something like a month.

You haven't shown any sign that you understand the difference between trying to fix the ship while being chased and shot at and trying to fix the ship when in a position of safety.

You're ignoring the position taken in C-canon by officially licensed franchise products.

You're ignoring everything that says you might be wrong, as though by ignoring it you can make it disappear.

But it's not going anywhere.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They made it there in by sublight, however long that took. There's nothing in the series of films that says "if you go by sublight speed then you will be stranded in space for all eternity". Straight line. Hell, watching the movie I always assumed it was, like, a day.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    All you have is a fan's theory. Actually two of them, which by itself shows you the problem. You guys can't even decide if he fixed the hyperdrive or if he had a backup. And you know why you can't decide which? Because they are both invented opinions, with no basis for fact in the movie. Fan theories are fine. If this is your preferred way of looking at the movie, have at it. But fan theories cannot be held up as fact. The movie can. The movie makes it clear they can't jump. That carries far more weight than anything written on this thread by fans

We can invent theories until the cows come home. That's all they are.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Fan theories" can end up being validated by Lucasfilm, when they write guidebooks (The Essential Atlas etc) confirming them though.

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The movie takes precedence over everything else and all other considerations. You guys can't even decide which theory to go with

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yep, definitely sublight

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No one poops either I guess.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The movie does not show how they get to Bespin. All it does is cut from one scene (in Anoat system with a busted hyperdrive) to Luke, then back to them arriving in Bespin orbit.

Conclusion- whatever's the most plausible way- is what splatbook writers (Cross-Sections, Visual Guides, etc) should go with.

And did.