main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.16 - Lawless - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm really, really, really, really, really, glad that when Satine told Obi-Wan she always loved him he didn't respond. A reciprocal response would have killed me...I was worried for a second there.

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Me too. The animation said it all.

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    You misread what I said, Palpatine had two lightsabers. He lost the first one with the duel against Mace, he had a holdout weapon in his office below the Senate Chambers. He went and retrieved both to duel Maul and his brother.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The lightsaber he used to duel Mace with was smuggled onto Coruscant in 52BBY inside a neuranium sculpture and wasn't used before 19BBY,according to the RotS novel. So Sidious must have three lightsabers.

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    ...You realise TCW is set before RotS, right? Have I misunderstood the conversation..?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have liked a reciprocal response myself. And I think it would have fit in with "If you had said the word, I would have left the Jedi Order for you." It would have been a nice contrast with Anakin, who put his own wishes before Padme's; had Anakin been mature enough in ROTS, he would have considered what Padme would want him to do as opposed to only what he wanted as an end result.

Unless you're saying it would have killed you as in it would have been too emotional.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not really that much of a contrast IMO: Obi-Wan would be putting Satine ( and himself ) above the fate of the rest of the galaxy, just as Anakin was putting Padme ( and himself ) above the rest of the galaxy.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I certainly don't see how. Having feelings for someone is different from putting oneself and that person above the rest of the galaxy; what one does with those feelings is what makes the difference there.

And Obi-Wan admitting his feelings to a dying Satine would not make his prior action, of not leaving the Order for her when she didn't request it, any different.

Unless you're saying that he would have put himself above the rest of the galaxy if he had left the Order for her, but that ship had already sailed.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    No, you understood me, it would have killed me because I would have hated it. You have an intriguing reason for having wanted it, but I was perturbed by this whole quasi-romantic back-story of theirs being introduced in the first place with the S2 Mandalore arc; I'm still not crazy about that development but I'm at least more used to it now, and that would have made me hate the whole thing all over again. I know there are good reasons for disagreeing with my view here, but to me Obi-Wan is above that as a character, he's sacred in a way...him saying he'd have left the Jedi Order for her if he knew she loved him bothers me.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, that's OK, it's just a difference in viewpoint. I like the idea of Obi-Wan having romantic feelings for someone, it makes him human, even with his not being allowed to pursue it. A lot of people would rather he have just stayed a solid-monk type though.

12. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally, I'm with Tarkas on this one, specifically because of his admission in Voyage of Temptation. He'd already confessed his love for her, she knew. And I think the silence—his horrified, pained, sorrowful silence—told a clearer picture of where he was at that moment than any verbal response ever could. He's often so mouthy, dealing with everything with snark, that it was incredibly powerful to see him utterly speechless in the face of losing her. Crushed, silent loss won that scene, if you ask me.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    True. Good point.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oy, this talk makes me remember the awful changes to a certain scene on the ROTJ blu-ray.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    What change? I haven't seen them.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO", you must!

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Trust me, you won't like it. But, I'll post it anyway.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh...I knew about that...my eyes told my brain (or my brain told my eyes) that said ROTS...sorry about that.

Obi-Wan doing that wouldn't really have bothered me (assuming less atrocious execution), I meant something more along the lines of him going on about his love to her.

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I liked Obi-wan silence myself. Obi-wan was crushed and defeated for a moment. He had nothing in him when he was dragged off to the cell. The poor guy. He did still love her IMO and always did.

20. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Consider it another TCW retcon.

SaucySarlaac likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So Bo-Katan: Red-headed stepchild? Amirite?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    That happens to the young idealists in the family who don''t quite conform to the family norm of beliefs. I have personal experience with that. Red headed step child, black sheep, Helga to Olga in the Pataki family.

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Upon rewatch, Obi-Wan's taking a running start to jet-pack-assisted flying, a la 1950's George Reeves-Superman style, is pretty funny. The Death Watchers sort of freefall into flight, like divers when they flip backwards over the boat and then orient themselves underwater. Gotta hand it to him for being a quick learner *ponders how the flight jets are controlled*

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Per the book, the control is through small body movements.

25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I see. So the wiggling he did in the beginning was him trying to get the hang of it.