main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is It Time To Close The Libraries?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Narutakikun, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I rotate em out. 1 to 2 at a time.

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    If the Sierra Club is lying for any reason it'd mostly be because of the money involved. Maybe not direct contributions, but the more people use your club or group as an unequivocal fact the more likely your membership grows and the more donations you get to your pet causes. If there's money involved in anything there's going to be lying involved. Not saying they are or are not, but the greater the financial value the more incentive there is to lie--even if it would go against your group's ideology. I'd think Democrats and Republicans would teach you enough about this fact, but alas...it has not.

And why is this discussion in a library thread?

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Because the thread was inane to begin with and Narutakikun hasn't even posted in pages.

So, Mike, rotating out your magazine supplies in your car, pocket, backpack, and whatever else is easy, but plugging in a kindle about once a month is too hard?

ok.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's because pretty much everyone disagreed with the OP and he hasn't responded since yesterday.

EDIT: Dammit.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    So...troll thread. Anyway, on the subject of e-readers, they're kind of annoying. I already have a computer, an iPad, and a smartphone. The added eye strain isn't needed.

Edit: I also think e-readers give you too many options. The selling point is, 'You can take hundreds of books with you!' Well, I don't want hundreds of books to read. I just want one book. Listen, if you're reading one book at a time on an e-reader, then you've wasted your money. The whole thing is built to keep you from reading a whole book and more about selling more books. It's like you're a mouse and that 'buy' button dispenses the narcotic.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, when the magazines finish, I take em out. Heck, at my previous job, I left a magazine in my folder at work since there wasn't anywhere to bring in electronics and keep them safe while working, but I could leave a magazine, read on my breaks, then bring it home when i finished and bring in something new the next day. Simple matter. And it means I don't have to carry the ereader with me everywhere in case I'll end up reading.

7. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I'll admit, my local string of libraries ain't the greatest (although I used them all the time when I was a kid), but they're where community groups meet and I know there are still a lot of people who their local library is their only source of internet. I don't know about the US, but a lot of so called 'free wifi' over here requires you to have an account with a certain internet provider or you have to pay for it.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I love my Kindle, I love being able to take every piece of literature I own anywhere I go, I love not needing a massive book shelf and I love the huge collection of free literature.

I love being able to 'click' a word in the book and have a dictionary pop up when the writer gets too fancy, I love being able to search an entire book for any key word(s) in a fraction of a second, I love being able to add/delete my own notes without actually damaging the book, etc.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    That's cool. If it works for then that's great. I've drifted into the 'these are just tools for the same purpose' mentality. I just find them to be money-making schemes in general designed to confuse and distract you from the purpose you're trying to achieve. As is most entertainment these days.

eht13 likes this.
  10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I like that I can lend people books

eht13 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Ironically these days I really only use my E-Reader to go to the Internet to renew my library books online when I can't be bothered to go to my computer (usually on the day they are due).

That and Twitter.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I like that books don't have a "subject to retraction" clause. DRM is still a bit too hefty on most digitally distributed reading materials for my tastes.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's why I use my Kindle mostly for borrowing and public domain stuff and such.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't remember the last time I read a hardback or paperback book other than at work. My personal reading has been via the Kindle for a few years now.

And FIDo, there's no eye strain unless you're reading on a backlit screen.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, that's precisely what I use my iPhone Kindle App for. I mean, by no means do I ever expect Amazon to actually follow through on that kind of clause, but I guess I'm just paranoid enough that it's mere existence keeps me from committing money.

Still better than Comixology, though.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Amazon already did that, didn't they? Wasn't there an edition of 1984 they pulled back?

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They actually did follow through once, IIRC, with an (somehow?) unauthorized copy of 1984. Gotta protect Mr. Orwell's livelihood, I suppose. But the backlash was so severe (especially because this screwed over kids who got it for school) I don't think they're eager to do it again.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That did happen and it was the publisher that caused the problem, not Amazon.

The grossly oversimplified version of what's happening there is that both the Internet and the demand for digital reading material has grown faster than publishers' business models have changed, leaving the publishers going "WTF? How do we make money now?"

Publishers' business models will adapt, and I think they will adapt faster than most newspapers have under similar circumstances, but situations such as the Orwell glitch and the Harper Collins glitch that I mentioned earlier, both which got heavy backlash, will probably happen a couple of more times before it's all sorted out.

19. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I have nothing against ebooks, but you'll get my dead trees when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

JackG, Ender_Sai and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I love books, but there is a place for an ebook (I have the Nook Touch). I've put a lot of fanfic in Word docs that fill up a lot of 3-ring binders and they change font size randomly on the Nook - what's best for such "downloaded" material - epub? Mobi? PDF?

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    which e-reader is preferred for 5000+ page epic slashfics about ewan mcgregor and an openly gay ewok?

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *headtilt*

I thought I was the only one who put fanfic in binders.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You should form a club! A club that likes to slaughter trees for slash.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Sounds interesting - may have to write such a one.[face_laugh]

Nah, there are some EXCELLENT stories out there (see VaderLVR64, Ruth Baulding, others) and I don't want to haul a computer around with me everywhere. Good thing, in fact, I have some in binders because the URLs bookmarking them are no longer good.

So...anyone?

Best format to read them in?

25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    libraries are going to be going the same way as the newspaper and dinosaur..

Its a natural progression that technology is gonna pass that by, if it already hasn't done it yet...