main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion WILL THEY BE ANY GOOD?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jennysolo, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm sure the quality if the film is a choice Disney deliberated over long and hard. I imagine the board meeting went something like this:

EXEC 1: So here's my idea, guys. What if we just made Episode 7 suck really, really hard and no one ends up going to see it? What do you think?
    EXEC 2: hmmm...
    EXEC 3: That's a possibility. It's bold, edgy. Could make the prequels look good by comparison...what does everyone else think?
    EXEC 4: Sounds good to me
    EXEC 5: I'm in
    EXEC 6: Me too
    EXEC 3: Ned?
    EXEC 2: Well....
    EXECS: what?...what?
    EXEC 2: Well, I want to go with that, but that might not be good for us financially. Remember that we have to maximize our investment.

(execs all get deflated)

Why don't we table this dilemma for a while and chew it over?

Three weeks later at a board meeting

EXEC 2: I got it guys! The perfect solution to our problem! Let's make the movie really good!!! Then more people will see it, thereby giving us more money to maximize our investment with!

EXECS: Brilliant! Huzzah! Etc.

(Execs sing "Yub Nub" while dancing around the table)

2. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Hell yeah, man. These names are synonymous with our childhoods. This is like a dream to the child of the 80's. Very excited.[face_hypnotized]

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    A money maker doesn't exactly = critical acclaim. Most movie goers are 17-35 years old so Disney better keep that in mind before they decide to go all "Phantom Menace" on us, a film that made a lot of money yes?

4. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    The point of that satire was that it's not up to Disney whether or not the film turns out good. All Disney can do, all anyone can do, is the best job they can. Whether or not that translates to it "being good" is up to fate.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I think it's entirely up to Disney whether this movie comes out good or not. There was a period during the late 90's where movie execs thought they could make films with focus groups, accountants and statistics, some of the attitude still filters through to today. It works great in resourcing and banks but in film it's trying to replace artistic sensibilities with mathematics, it always ends up with a sterile piece of crap on screen. So if Disney hire great talent who have great managers who know how to get the best from them, I'm almost certain that there will be a great film. It's down to how well Bob Iger, Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams can control and manage the people underneath them.

Hiring the right people, and making sure they have everything they need (mentally and physically) to produce their best work is how this film will be great.

I'm pretty confident they're going to knock it out of the park, I'm really hopefull they let JJ bring in his people to work on it. Working with people you've haven't developed a repore with is risky in a big production like this.

6. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    It's nice to think that, but the fact of the matter is that if a production company really had control over the artistic quality of the end product, there's no reason to think every end product wouldn't be good. What company wants to make a bad movie? If you don't take risks, you often end up with a predictable piece of entertainment. But if you do take risks, you open up the possibility of misfire. Nothing is guaranteed with art.

7. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Sorry but at this stage of development how could anyone have a more accurate opinion?

I sent Nostrodamus an email but he hasn't got back to me.

8. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I should have made clear that my comments were not directed at you, it's just a general sentiment that has been going around.

9. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Agreed on Dooku.
    Agreed on Padme and Anakin.
    Agreed on Jango.
    Agreed on Yoda.

I have a few issues with AOTC, though. The backgrounds and large arrays of clones looked too CGI. The droid factory scene bothered me (though with some help from my friends around here my distaste for it isn't as strong as it once was). George was never great at directing actors and this shows with Hayden, particularly in the love scenes and the "I killed them..." scene.

But some people around here go overboard. AOTC is one of the worst movies ever made? Really? They must not have seen very many movies.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The ST will be so good the heavens will rain chocolate forever more.

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    What I fear is that the ST will not mirror the OT and PT as well as the PT mirrored the OT.

From blatantly obvious things, like the main Skywalker losing a limb, to even basic things, like similar setting, positions, just look at the thread about visual mirrors in the saga section.

Even when Lucas was not director for TESB and ROTJ, he was always there, giving his advice and best ways to direct for Kershner and Marquand, but now he will have signifigantly less impact, and I get the premonition that the ST just won't feel enough like Star Wars.

In other words, I have a bad feeling about this.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  12. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I hope that one's there ;)

13. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    AOTC is a great film.

14. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    To come out strong isn't up to Disney in the way that has been stated eloquently by Darth_Articulate. I feel what it IS responsible for is not assuming that you can simply throw some planet movie sets, some laser swords and explosions together and rake in the money. So, what have we got so far: Big Promises that are going to be hard to follow through with, without running SW through the cookie cutter. Three sequels, a television show and stand alones every other year or so?

It might end up like Call of Duty, for you gamers out there, with sequel after sequel that are the same game every time.

So IMO thats what "coming out strong" implies. Take some time, plan out something that makes sense and give it the Disney magic. I'm sure they will do that, but really it's hard to get in the head of a SW fan.:cool:

15. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    No sir- I have formulas and equations for these things on page one of the thread. It will be good. It will be.....

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  16. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Julius Vernon likes this.
  17. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    "Will they be any good"......I think there will most definitely be at least some good! Seriously though, yeah why not? Let's be optimistic I say, so on that note, my prediction is that the whole of the ST is going to make TESB look like Gigalo!

18. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    They'll be so good, Walt Disney will thaw

19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think it's a no-brainer that they will be good but, what if they make it better than the OT? *gasp*

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah…pretty much…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.