main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Ewan McGregor's Reaction to the Spin-Offs

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    My issue with using characters like this is that we know their ultimate fates, and I think it would detract from the story knowing that they will not face any dire consequences (such as death).

Paparazzo likes this.
  2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    *cough* Prequels *cough*

3. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    The movie could also explain why Vader and the Emperor never bothered to look for Obi-Wan and Yoda...they faked their own deaths and perpetuated the idea that the Jedi were extinct just like the Sith did whenever. It would also strengthen Tarkin's statement of the widespread belief that the Jedi are "all but extinct" save for Vader.

Plus it introduces the opportunity for Obi-Wan's line to Luke about Owen thinking that he would just lead Luke on "some damn idealistic crusade" as well as establishing Owen's impression of him as just some "crazy old wizard." As far as we've seen Obi-Wan was just some guy who dropped off some baby without any drama. I would love to see what makes Owen become grumpy Uncle Owen. Maybe Obi-Wan swings by earlier than we've seen to train Luke and get some help with the whole moving to a new planet, not knowing anybody, putting in a good word with some people for a job, which happens to lead to Boba Fett crossing their paths. Hilarity and hijinks ensue and Obi-Wan is somehow responsible for the homestead catching on fire or some kind of damage and destruction to those moisture farms, droids, etc. Would love to see a shocked Owen staring at this flying warrior assassin guy and the crazy wizard making things float and fly through the air and just drop everything all eff this, I'm taking this kid far away from you nutters.

JainaSoloYJK, KevinM1, kainee and 6 others like this.
  4. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Hey,Disney,give us Ewan as Obiwan.it has to be Ewan.

5. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Even though that rumour was quashed rather quickly, I do think something like that could work well as a standalone spin-off ... whether Obi Wan were to be a character or not.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yet another rumor that has fallen off the cliff.

7. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Loved Ewan since I first saw Shallow Grave in 1994...his Obi-Wan was easily the best part of the Prequels for me. I want an Obi-Wan desert rat movie...or Obi-Wan has to leave Tatooine to help a Jedi-in-exile movie.

8. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    this statue is enough to make me want an Obi-Wan movie. NOW

9. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    As i said before, we must start a petition. Or wouldnt this work?

Obi Wan. The new Indiana Jones... [face_thinking]

10. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Ewan already said he would return as Obi-Wan...they have probably talked about it already and he is being coy on Kimmel

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  11. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Start that petition, I will sign. I agree that it would really answer some of those Obi-Wan/Uncle Owen questions in a non-EU way....I was always hoping for an episode of TCW that would do this, but an Obi movie....much better. He discovers an ancient Sith temple on Tatooine maybe, an Imperial inquisitor discovers toddler Luke's heritage and it's up to Obi-Wan to stop them, whatever...this seems more important than a Han Solo or Boba Fett movie (I want those also of course). And Ewan's age is right, he's now in his 40s :)

12. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Obi-Wan fights a Krayt dragon Jar'kai style with Anakin's lightsaber....

13. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004

This must be on film in my lifetime.

Original Oatmeal and kevmp like this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If you're right, one can only say that it's a good time to be a Star Wars fan!

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I swear you could literally give him a shave and a short haircut and he could reprise his role as a Young Obi-Wan again. It's 15 years on since they filmed it but he literally looks almost the same(sans beard).

Bring on the Adventures of Obi-Wan and Anakin set between Ep 1 and 2.

He was one of my favorite things with the prequels and he seems a nice bloke and positive about alot of it.

Give him a gig.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well that was not really much of a meaningful reaction in any way, shape or form.

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    True. But did you notice he said they told him about the new trilogy, but not specifically about the stand-alone films.

So they have been in contact with him in some way.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  18. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    A movie about Obi-wan would be about the only PT-OT era spinoff movie Id be extremely pumped to see......still they better be careful if they're going to be making movies in those Eras.........I don't want anymore inconsistencies or plotholes weighing down the original movies

Still like most of you that Desert Man Obi-Wan pic gets me pumped....

Im already envisioning a Teaser Trailer of Moister Farmers forming a line and riding their speeder bikes into an army of Tusken Raiders..a couple of quick flashes of the the battle starting to get dire for them and them being forced back into a corner......then the scream that frightened the Tuskens to save Luke is heard, everyone stops fighting and looks... A hooded figure emerges, a blue lightsaber ignites, the camera zooms in as Obi-wan raises his head revealing is face and starts to run toward the camera

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Agreed, but I do find it kinda amusing (not in a negative way!) to kind of poke fun at the sometimes overhyped analysis of every single mention of anything that might be related to the new movies :p

Have to be honest though, hard to jump off the overhype train!

20. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Indeed, i have mine pre-ordered! That whole Mythos line looks incredible.

I believe George called Ewan to tell him about the Disney sale before it happened, but he didnt know anything about the spinoffs. This was his tweet a couple of days ago:
    Ewan McGregor@mcgregor_ewan
    Haven't heard anything about the new Star Wars movies. I'll let you know if I'm involved. #donthecloakagain

21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    His desire to be involved is fact though, despite his reaction on Kimmel

22. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    After the Prequels, and now with TCW, Obi-Wan has turned into THE Jedi for me and is now my favorite one...greater than Luke or Yoda, or any of the wusses that were offed in Order 66

23. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Has anyone started a petition for this yet?

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know about a post-AOTC gig for the adventures of Anakin and Obi Wan. Ewan is great, but I am ambivelant because Ewan just doesn't look young enough anymore. Maybe they could pull it off with facial makeup and lighting, I don't know.

I don't think it would be good to have an Obi Wan movie post-ROTS; maybe about him hanging around in the desert on Tattoine watching over kid Luke, chatting with his dead master from the neatherworld, and picking up sketchy alien prostitutes in the Mos Eisley bar. That just won't cut it; not a good enough time period to make a movie out of.

I want something nor focused on an old character for the extra movies (and have a theory that I will get just that), but I suppose I would rather see them try one with Obi-Wan than with Yoda if they must go the route of old characters..

25. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    An Obi-Wan movie doesn't necessarily have to all take place on Tatooine...there IS a reason that he knew all of the best pilots hung out at the Mos Eisley Cantina, that Mos Eisley was a wretched hive of scum and villainy, mainly because he probably had to deal with the underworld etc, there and charter a flight off of Tatooine to avert some sort of crisis that could put young Luke in jeopardy. IN fact that has happened in an EU series, now I want to see it on the big screen. An Early 40's Obi-Wan starring Ewan having an adventure in the early days of The Empire...you're telling me that time period isn't good enough?

kainee, StoneRiver, BOBAFLEXX and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.