main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ideal age to watch the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by oierem, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well said. My son is now 6 and has been a fan since he was 3, probably close to 4. I didn't expect him to "get" everything the first few times we watched the films, but I was 3 when I saw ANH in 1977 and I'm still a fan now. It's OK to "get" things progressively in stages as you watch and rewatch things.

Having said all that, there are plenty of adults who do not get SW either. Talk with some "regular" people sometime and find out how little they really understand about it; many have told me that they never realized how deep SW actually is. One day when my son was probably about 4 and a half, we were walking the dog and a neighbor asked my son about SW because he was wearing a SW t-shirt. He asked if my son liked Darth Vader, and when my son said yes my neighbor said "but aren't you scared of him? He's a really bad guy." My son said "no he's not, if he were a really bad guy he wouldn't have killed the Emperor and died to save Luke's life." My neighbor learned something new about SW that day. [face_laugh]

2. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I saw "Star Wars" (ANH) in 1977 when I was 2 going on 3. I have no recollection of it, aside from a vague memory of playing with dinky cars on the theatre floor and saying "It's not funny" when people laughed at the droids. I'm not even sure that's my own memory or one fed to me by my frustrated mother.

My first real memory of being absorbed into a SW film (and loving it) was when I saw TESB in 1980. I was 5 years old. My mother brought me back to see the double-billing of ANH and TESB sometime afterward. Even at 5 years old, I don't think the story was too complex for me to follow. Mind you, there were some thematic elements that I was certainly confused about, e.g. The Dark Side Cave on Dagobah in TESB.

I was completely absorbed into SW at the ages of 6 and 7, and by the time ROTJ came out (at age 8), I was a die-hard fan. I forced my parents and sisters to line up early for tickets and waited several hours to see ROTJ on opening day. I loved ROTJ, by the way. It was my favorite SW film for several years. In fact, I was probably in my late teens by the time I recognized TESB as the greatest acievement in the series (and one of the greatest films, period).

In short, I think 5 years old is a good age to introduce children to SW. It worked for me. However, I would honestly caution against allowing children under 9-or-so to watch Episode III. That being said, the best course of action, IMHO, is to introduce the story to children in theatrical release order: Episodes IV-VI beginning at age 5, then Episodes I and II, then Episode III when they are capable of handling the darkness and gore. Then, of course, the ST.

I have a 2 year old son of my own, and although I will not introduce the SW films to him until he is older, he already can name most of the OT principal characters. The Force is strong in him.

3. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    I was 9 when I saw ANH in the movie theaters and I understood it very well. I was hooked from then on. In fact, the very next day I was Darth Vader with my whiffle ball bat striking down my best friend who played Luke! Our subdivision was all into Star Wars and we rotated different characters between about 8 of us. I also liked being a stormtrooper.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw 4-6 when I was 6 I think. 7 for TPM, 10 for AOTC and 13 for ROTS. I was fine with every movie when I first watched them except ESB. I could not watch ESB for the longest time. It was too dark for me. I love it the most now. ESB and ROTS are the ones you might have to worry about for younger kids. The Emperor electrocuting Luke in ROTJ might freak out kids as well.

5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'd say the Original Trilogy and TPM could really be watched from as low as the age of 6. These films have really strong morals, be good, avoid giving in to dark thoughts, and that's good for kids.

AOTC and ROTS are quite a bit darker IMO. The moral staunchness of the other films has disappeared, and been replaced by a descent to the dark side, with the dark side eventually winning. I'd actually say AOTC and ROTS are more for 10-year olds, when they can understand the moral complexity.

6. dooku88

dooku88 Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2013
    I remember first seeing Ep. IV when I was 9 and I did not understand any of it lol.

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Any age is ideal, I believe.

8. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Between the ages of 10 and 25

I think its a good idea to watch them while you're still young; its more likely that the movies will have a greater impact on you while your mind is still open and while your heart is full of passion.

9. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Lots of good responses here which I agree with.

Star Wars has always been for everyone: kids, teenagers, adults... But as a kid I think around 8 and 9 years old should be suitable. Not that it would be very inappropriate to a 6 years old for instance, considereing that kids of today see actions films much earlier in their lives than the generations before but he won't understand much of it. He won't know what's really going on and what's at stake. I would be surprised if a normal 6 years old kid really understand concepts of the films such as Empires, Rebelles organisations, Jedi Order ect ect.

10. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I first saw Star Wars when I was practically a toddler. I think that probably 5–7 is a good age to first watch them.

11. A'den Skirata

A'den Skirata Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    I'd say 12/11 or 10.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'll just say a lot of you either don't have kids or don't remember actually being a kid. ;)

Kids can "handle" and understand a lot more than some adults give them credit for.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched the OT when I was about 4 or 5, and went to the midnight showing of TPM with my parents when I was 7. Any age is ideal though I'm not sure if I would have been able to handle ROTS at that age.

14. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    I saw The Empire Strikes Back when I was 5. Had absolutely no idea what was going on but it looked cool.

15. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Hahaha you would. Trust me.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Burnt Anakin?

17. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Well not your typical good ending but still. Not that bad.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I dunno. Anakin burning alive while screaming is not a kid friendly image.

19. The Bornless One

The Bornless One Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2013
    I saw the original trilogy when I was 6 or 7 on vhs, I didn't understand it but it didn't stop me from watching ROTJ three times in a row, I loved the bit with the emperor at the end and the duel bewteen Luke and Vader but my younger brother who is nearly 10, has not seen any Star Wars and I doubt he will until he is at least 13 but each to their own

20. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ten or twelve years old some of you say? I can't imagine my first ten years without it.
    You don't have to understand the plot or drama and storytelling to get into it. That's what rewatches over time are for. My STAR WARS fandom was implanted at 4-years-old and I remember the inaccurate ideas I had after seeing TESB (saw it before an ANH special showing) but it all inspired me to play STAR WARS either through toys, drawing pictures, writing stories, or pretending while at recess or in the yard. I remember getting the first collector's case and examining the collage illustrations on the cover without having seen the movies yet. I remember going into those first two movies knowing what Jawas and Tauntauns were. By the time I saw ANH again when it premiered on HBO, I could follow movies better and that viewing is what sticks in my mind the most every time I watch it. If you're old enough to imagine and daydream, you're old enough for STAR WARS.

21. freakjokerxxx

freakjokerxxx Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2013
    I started with the OT around four or five. Watched it over and over, always picking up new things over the years. TPM came out when I was eight so I was the perfect age for Jar Jar but not for Trade Federation. Eleven when AOTC came out so I was fine and fourteen for ROTS. I liked growing up with them like this because as I maturted over the years, so did my viewings. I think this is the best way too view them.

22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But then, if understanding the plot doesn't really matter, why do we have so many threads of "ideal watching order"?
    Of course, I understand your point, a kid will enjoy Star Wars for the action and the characters, and get a very general idea of the plot, but that means that he or she will never experience that first time experience with all the shocking revelations, right?
    Personally, if I had kids, (and assuming the unlikely possibility that they will enjoy what their father likes), I'd rather not let them see the Star Wars Saga until they are old enough to watch and understand all of it.
    Watching the TV series, for example, is different; it may be a good way to introduce Star Wars to kids and not worry about "spoiling" anything from the main series.

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's really not that important. I don't remember exactly what I picked up of SW before seeing The Empire Strikes Back other than the characters and if it even mattered that Darth Vader was Luke's father. Little kids have no concept of spoilers so if one's friend sees the movie first and tells the plot, the kid isn't really going to feel like everything has been ruined. You can't control that. In the meantime though, he can play with the toys and possibly build an interest in just seeing those toys move around on screen. I do not and have absolutely no desire to have kids but when I see people write passionately about how they anticipate sitting their kids down to introduce STAR WARS to them, it just looks like too contrived an experience and like they are setting themselves up for disappointment. The kid is very likely to just want to get up and go play with the dog while the parent says "look, hey come back you're going to miss the introduction of Palpatine, come on this is a special occasion I've been looking for to experiencing all my life now that I have a son and you're ruining it!" That goes for any time someone wants to watch a movie with someone else. You just can't program that person's acceptance and enjoyment of it. No one sat me down in front of SW, I chose it on my own, and when someone did sit me down in front of movies (some of which I would later learn to like) I usually wasn't interested. It felt too much like school or something.

24. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    lol. I TOTALLY agree with the bolded parts. Long ago, I accepted the fact that the fact that I liked some movies didn't mean other had to like them.

But that's why this thread is called "IDEAL age to watch the Saga". And I still maintain that, IDEALLY, I'd like someone to watch the Saga for the first time in the correct order and at the right age to understand the complexity and scope of the story, rather than having that someone introduced to the Saga when he or she will only get the cool characters and flashy stuff and will be able to play with toys.

25. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I feel I was the perfect age to grow up with Star Wars. I was first introduced to SW by a friend through the OT VHS and Super Nintendo Super Star Wars Trilogy when I was nine. I was ten when the Special Editions were released in theaters. That was the first time I saw ANH, too. I had seen the others because my dad rented them out at our local video store for me. You can imagine watching them in this order made for a very unique experience.
    I was twelve when TPM came out, which as GL mentioned in a Making-Of interview at the time was his audience (when mentioning most twelve year olds wouldn't recognise Liam Neeson from his previous roles). I was 15 when AOTC came out and 18 when the final episode hit. Growing up into an adult (age wise) with Star Wars. It may be partially the reason I was ostracised socially in early high school, but it is worth it. Star Wars is a gift that keeps on giving. Besides, when I changed to art school at age 15 no one made fun of your affection in films anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.