main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What Prequel Fans Would Change About the OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Corran1138, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Except it wasn't a lie. It turned out to be the truth, and even when that little fact is ignored, the film never disproves it in any way. Isn't it funny how sometimes what seems so "obvious" turns out to be so completely wrong?

Problem is, he did call him good. That's still canon. So by definition he was what Obi-Wan would call good.
    It appears that Anakin wasn't what [someone] would call good. But that [someone]... it wasn't Obi-Wan.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Acknowledgement that Anakin was always Anakin - regardless of whether he was a Jedi Knight or Sith Lord Darth Vader. I didn't really care for the polarization of his character in ESB and ROTJ.

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Great thread! I wanna say Palpatine should have been in ANH, it was a good idea no to have Yoda, Bail Organa could have easily been added to ANH as well to see him on Alderaan before it blew up.Boba Fett should have died in a fist fight with Han Solo, that rocket malfunction is always lame to watch. I wish the Gungans & Ewoks were a little more edgy & Leia had more costumes.

4. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't know what saga you were watching, but many anakin scenes matched thing vader said especially in ROTS.

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Like what?

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    My changes to the OT wouldn't necessarily be things to make the jive more with the PT (they work well for me as is), but to lend them greater internal coherency. Obi-Wan not mentioning Qui-Gon or Leia remembering her mother are, in all honesty, rather small points in the narrative that I find have logical explanations. The primary changes I would make have to do with tone. For one, I think both Luke and Leia get over the loss of loved ones far too quickly in ANH for it to make sense in ESB. Neither of them shows a second thought for Owen/Beru or Alderaan and yet in ESB, Leia looks distraught over Han being frozen and Luke seems to break down when Anakin/Vader tells him the truth. For me, there's some disconnect there that I don't particularly think works. More acknowledgement was needed of the events in ANH, in my opinion.

On that note, I would show significantly increased fall out from ANH, like describing how many more people were motivated to join the Rebellion because of Alderaan's destruction. Also, I'd work Palpatine's concern for the burgeoning Rebellion in with his line about "the young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star." And instead of Han and Leia's romance (which is extraneous to the plot), perhaps have them meet with the Bothans to get the Death Star II plans or some other important information (or sneak into an Imperial facility) and then be caught by Anakin/Vader. The same actions can basically play out normally, but then at least, there's some relevance to the plot. If I still included the romance (maybe), I would revamp it so that Leia has more of a say and Han is more respectful.

For ROTJ, then, I would not have Leia be Luke's sister (she just doesn't get enough focus in the films for this to work well, in my opinion) but I would have her be the one to lead the strike team to the Endor moon instead of Han, which is a position I think she's earned more than he. Instead, I would send Han and Lando together to destroy the Death Star II and repair their friendship. Supposedly they are friends, but they didn't get much screentime together, unfortunately. Also, the rescue of Han would be from an Imperial facility and while there wouldn't necessarily be a big battle, they would have to sneak him out. This makes more sense to me because by the end of ANH, Han should have had the funds to pay back Jabba the Hutt. That, and I think an Imperial facility would be cooler.

Those are really the biggest changes I would make, although there might be some minor points as well. I don't think I'd make the Ewoks quite as silly. I would still include them, but I think a mix of primitive tribes (not just the Ewoks) would also work better perhaps.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Don't make me kill you."
    "Don't make me destroy you."

Yes, a world of difference there...

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I know you were trying to be sarcastic but...I agree....Vader language is a lot more drawn out. Why the change in dialogue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.