main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yup, just came out. I have heard very good things about the British version, so I definitely want to check it out.

--Adm. Nick

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

hahaha how funny, I was just suggesting it to my friends. I love it. I need to see the original version now, but I like this. It does seem perfectly suited for Washingtonian power politics. And Spacey's character reminds me of Senator Palpatine (down to the greying red hair) -- playing nice with everyone but really placing people against each other in the name of power. It's awesome.

LI, it's worth watching. Usually American adaptations of British things aren't very good, but this one is. If the British one ends up being better, that says a lot for how good it is.

Of course, my favorite political show is still Yes, Minister followed by West Wing. I'd rate this show as... hm. Third, and The Thick of It as fourth.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Alright. Needed something to watch, anyways, so I'll give it a shot.
    I'll let you know later.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I except I'll need this gif many times in the coming weeks.

So until the last five minutes I was ready to say that this episode just re-introduced the characters and showed where they are going to go in this season. Tyrion is still cool, Joffrey is still a ****, Jaime still plays a mixture of Han Solo and Sawyer and so on. But then... dude, what? Would Robert's bastards have a claim on throne even if Stannis and Renly were both dead? I think not, so perhaps the slaughter won't lead anywhere but show that Joffrey really isnot Duros a ****.

But Joffrey doesn't have it well either, his "father" mocking him openly and saying on his deathbed that "I should have taught you how to be a man", and his mother (who is the only person in the world who loves him) slapping him in public. I'm not against slapping him, though.

Hey it's Stannis the Often-Mentioned. And he's ready to kick everyone's backside and sit on the throne, it seems. Well done on quickly establishing the characters of Stannis ("It's a lie. Take it out") and the Woman of One God ("You give me a drink which clearly is poison? I'll drink anyway"). But one thing: How did Stannis receive the letter from Ned? In the novel Lannisters find it from Ned's guardsman's body. That didn't happen in the first season so I guess that is streamlined in the adaptation. If the answer is not spoilerific you can tell it.

The rest of the episode didn't have many surprises. I was hoping to see Renly (Renly is right!), but since he doesn't have any main characters with him yet (Catelyn is going to change that I hope) I didn't expect it.

Grey Wind looked cool, as did the dragons. Mirri Maz Duur was really a hero, Daenerys' horde won't pillage many towns in the future.

All in all, good episode in re-establishing the characters and establishing new ones, but didn't really get an "I have to see the second episode NOW!" reaction from me. After the initial shock even the ending doesn't thrill me that much. The guard will be sent after Arya and Gendry and hijinks ensue but that isn't much of a twist. But Joffrey is four-star material (in a sense that he's a ****).

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hahaha, I liked the whole "Renly is not right!" thing from season 1 too. According to the creators' commentary, that line was totally adlibbed too. The delivery is just lol..

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

One of the last episodes in Season 1 has a scene were Ned sends a messenger to Stannis with the instruction to show the letter to Stannis and no one else.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Now, for something completely different.

[​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I love the whole plot of Stannis sending the ravens across the realm about Jaime and Cersiei, so I was glad the show took the time to actually show that - I didn't think it would. But yeah, the first episode is just a recontextualiser, enjoyable though it is.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Somehow this is more awesome then it should be. :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You sir, have just made my day. Heck, make it week. Ain't nothing gonna top that.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, that is too good. Almost as good as dancing Gamorreans.

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not even singing Dooku?

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've been meaning to watch House of Cards. After I finish Firefly (this weekend!). I should also probably rewatch Game of Thrones at some point before the new season.

I'm partial to this. It has a hypnotic quality.

Barriss_Coffee and ma_petite like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I appreciate that those rancors were doing a formal ball dance. Young rancors just aren't into class anymore, so it was a pleasant surprise!

re: GoT -- just finished running someone through season 2 today, so that also counts as a handy re-watching to precede season 3 next month. Convenient!

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, Dragonborn is fun, though the main quest is short. It's not Kirkbride-level writing, but it definitely benefits from the use of lore and the Solstheim setting. However, Solstheim feels smaller than it did in Bloodmoon. Also, dragon riding is just kind of an on-rails mode.

Also, there are several sets of armor that return from Morrowind, and they look far better. Stalhrim in particular, much like ebony armor, finally looks cool instead of embarrassingly goofy.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Still running through Dragonborn myself. Fun stuff (never played Morrowind or the Bloodmoon expansion), and enjoying the add-ons. Reminds me strongly of Point Lookout, the best of the Fallout DLCs; brand new area with a number of side quests and lots to see.

17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Point Lookout would have been fantastic, if not for the Feral Ghoul Reavers and overpowered swamp people.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    To be honest, I stopped playing Dragonborn. The plot frankly bored me. Once the novelty of exploring Solstheim wore off, I haven't felt the need to play it anymore. It was good fun re-exploring the region and seeing how it changed since Bloodmoon, but even that has it's limits of fun. Once I learned everything there was to know about the status of Morrowind in the Empire, I just didn't have the heart to finish it.

--Adm. Nick

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, the main quest doesn't quite sell the threat of Miraak that well. Or just what was so monumental about what he learned from old Hermaeus Mora. Don't tell me that those two shouts were that monumental, because they weren't.

However, I did scream "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!" at the end of that boss fight. Also, there's a sword that shoots energy blasts like you're Link pre-1998, so there's that.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Speaking of "One"...

This is a superbly edited Doctor Who video posted by PirateofRohan in the JCC Who thread. I figured those Litizens who double up as Who fans would also appreciate it:

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've never been able to get into the plot of any Elder Scrolls game. I don't think it's the plot itself, usually, but the method of presentation. The way conversations are handled in Skyrim is... not to my liking. Luckily, there's so much else to love about Skyrim.

I still need to play Dragonborn. RC-1991, purely out of curiosity, what kind of character do you play in Skyrim?

Ulicus. I haven't seen a minute of any Dr. Who show ever, but that trailer still gave me goosebumps.

Ulicus likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been playing many other things lately, and I am somewhat stuck on the Companions quest, Hired Muscle. I found out I had to brawl the person in order to succeed, but I keep dying.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I keep going back and forth on just specializing in something or trying to do everything. I haven't played Skyrim in a few weeks, though, but I was trying to balance out my meatheaded warrior with some skill in destruction.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ulicus: Once again I'm remorseful about how many episodes I'm behind.:(

It's never too late to start! I started 48 years late.:p

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have dabbled into so many things with my Nord warrior, but its so re-playable that once I beat it, I will definitely experiment with different races and perks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.