main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A question for the oldtimers - did anyone actually enjoy the prequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Krivlos_Arkh, Feb 6, 2013.

?

I loved the OT and I think the prequels are

1. Great

37 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. Awful

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Ok

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like statements such as "people are hating on the PT just to be cool" any more than I like statements such as "people only like the PT because they are Lucas ass-kissers."

That said though--people are watching a film they hate, 30 times? Really? That doesn't make much sense. If I dislike a film, I don't go see it more than once in the theater--that's enough for me to determine that I don't like it--and I don't buy the DVD or Blu-Ray, so there is no seeing it 30 times.

I don't agree with you about TPM in 3D but obviously there's no point in our discussing it.

Cryogenic and V-2 like this.
  2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    We agree.

This totally happens. I can only speak for myself of course, but it seems impossible that I am the only person in all time and space that folds open the other side of the box set and pops those turds in every few years just to see if time has softened the blow.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You probably aren't, and it's your business, but I'm one who doesn't understand re-watching a film that you don't like. It's not a choice that I make.

SithStarSlayer and V-2 like this.
  4. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    What's not to understand? Star Wars fans watch Star Wars movies. Even the awful ones get multiple viewings. If you don't personally partake in this ritual that's fine, but surely you are aware that this multiple-viewing phenomena thing happens regularly, right? I'm surely not the only person in the universe that watches the Holiday Special every year in December...

(With apologies to the people who love the HS. I know, I know... it's art and can't be judged as good or bad objectively. ;) )

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched TPM again last March, and I still think it's a fun action flick. I watched it on DVD, not the 3D re-release.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I don't understand. What exactly is the point of re-watching a film you never liked, even if it's part of a franchise that you do like?

I could not stand ROTS after the first 45 minutes. I watched it once, in the $1.50 theater, and discovered that I couldn't stand it, and I have not watched that last half since. I know I didn't like it, I'm not going to re-watch it just to see if I've changed my mind, because I generally don't.

It seems a waste of time and money to re-watch something you don't like. But it's not my time and money and as I said, it's your business.

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I watch 5 of them (except EP II) many times, even broke the DVD.

One problem is I think people blame Hayden too much but he played well base on the Anakin Lucas designed.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't really get the "Lucas ass-kisser" theory.

Normally when people kiss ass there is some kind of incentive or potential gain.

What would I be getting if I "kissed Lucas' ass"? A check in the mail? Gift cards, perhaps?

Cryogenic and SithStarSlayer like this.
  9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    You get to have your taste in film, no matter how articulately explained, reduced to "being in denial"! I mean, who wouldn't want that?

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I have no problem with and like the idea of showing that the seeds of those traits that will lead Anakin astray are within him from the beginning (and not to say such are unique to him, either, although the combination of is uniquely his). AoTC took a few too many pains to so show us, the JQ books expanded on that.

Only TCW balances Anakin's traits with the postitive traits he had as well (IMHO).

Then again, I don't think AoTC was the best film to showcase several characters - but that does not make it bad, it makes it less than it could have been. But I still like it.

Well said!

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Watson wasn't trying to show Anakin's dark side, as she inserted crap into her books that didn't even make sense in the context of AOTC. She was writing a treatise on how much she hated Anakin, no more, no less. And it read like a bad fan fic. I've read fan fic written by fans who can't stand Anakin but wrote him more fairly than Watson did. There is no excuse for a professional writer to put out the tripe that she did.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I favor the EP III novel Anakin the best.

AoTC spent too much on the romance but that's Lucas is weak at. RotS could be better if it use the novel Anakin.

13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, as an oldtimer with the gray hairs to prove it, yes, I actually enjoyed the prequels.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stover getting inside Anakin's head and showing the slow spiral to insanity was great, and ran circles around the film.

Novel!Anakin's behavior was horrible though, bordering on a Jude Watson novel.

15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The novelization of AotC is probably the worst piece of writing in human history. It's the only book I've ever felt like burning.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As someone who hasn't read more than two or three- I'd like to see details. Page numbers and word-for-word quotes. Might help me see why the later Watson novels are so hated.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I like the corrupted Anakin in that book, a real cruel, cunning Sith rather than some whiny boy, that's much more like Vader of OT.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually liked the extra scenes that book put in - Jango & Boba, Shmi and the Larses, Padme and her sister.

It's also one that actually shows someone- specifically, Obi-Wan- disturbed by the casual dehumanizing of the clones.

19. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I don't feel qualified to answer this question..

i'm not an "old timer" aka a pensioner

20. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I must read this book!

21. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I enjoyed the lightsaber fights. That was about it, though.

22. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The quality of writing is so stunted. I can't effectively describe what I mean without breaking the rules.

Oh and I can't give anyone quotes and page numbers as that book is now fertilising my honeysuckle. ;)

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, describe it ineffectively- in whatever terms the forum permits. :p

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd love to help you but I don't own them. There is no way that woman was making a dime off me.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The way it's written insults the intelligence of the reader, it's an affront to the art of writing itself. The author writes as if they have never read or written before, everything is described in the same disinterested, incurious, witless voice. It reads like a particularly dim child describing a story they don't understand to an even dimmer child.

I don't think it was written to be read. I think it was written to a deadline and word count, and once those goals had been reached, the hack job was done. I doubt it was edited or refined with literary goals in mind, either.

If you're hoping for deeper insights into the characters, their motivations, and the events of AotC, avoid the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.