main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Color of Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Astupidjedi, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astupidjedi

Astupidjedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2013
    Does the color of a lightsaber signify which level of Jedi you are?
    For instance: Padawan=Green?
    Master=Blue?
    And why does Mace Windu have purple?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Colour is usually only to do with crystal. Mace's crystal was from a different planet than the one Padawans usually go to, to get their crystals.

However, in The Jedi Path, it states that there was a period when Jedi did in fact prefer specific colors to donate specific specialities (diplomacy, defence, investigation).

3. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Yoda's lightsaber is green.[face_beatup]

4. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    The expanded universe makes the point that green=Consulars(dedicated to investigation, diplomacy and normally force prowess), blue=Guardians(Kick down doors and solve problems head on, usually focused on lightsaber skill), yellow=Sentinels(Stealthier and balanced between the force and saber skill.)

It is sometimes believed that purple represents a battle master or weapon master, though more usually, for the Jedi it can represent those who are darker than orthodox Jedi, those who face problems head on, Mace Windu and Jaina Solo being excellent examples.

Though to carry this on, there is a much longer story with red and the Sith, actually there are two, one maintains that: most of the crystals that the old Sith Empire used were red, as they were the only crystals in the Horuset system and they became iconic to the galaxy as Sith lightsabers, so the Sith continued to use them until they ran out and started making synthetic red crystals. The second story maintains that the Sith Empire were never able to find natural crystals and that they had to make red synthetic crystals and it just stuck as their iconic weapons, the Sith also believed that red was somehow superior to the lightsabers of the Jedi Order, so there may well have been some stereotypical Sith egotism involved.

/Rant over.

5. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    In other words, it's just a color, we give it meaning.

6. Zak Arranda

Zak Arranda Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2013
    This guy knows whats up. Finally someone who is educated on expanded universe.

7. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i picked up The Jedi Path a couple of months ago whilst shopping for a birthday present for my bro (as in brother). i was surprised to see it sitting there as i had a dream once as a young lad about finding a book about how to be a jedi in a bookstore. i liked how they settled the color matter as to suggest blue = guardian and green = consular. but in a way it's just kind of a weak hat-tip to KOTOR and obi-wan always struck me as more of a consular than a guardian.

benknobi1 likes this.
  8. Agarwaen the Elven King

Agarwaen the Elven King Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.