main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion will Disney unleash Pixar on Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Downunder, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Since they've spent billions to purchase Lucasfilm what do you think the chances are that Disney will wheel out some Star Wars Pixar movies aimed at families & kids? Pixar films already make a fortune, imagine what a Star Wars themed one could do? It would not only get the kids in but let's face it, most of us would be there on opening day too.

I'd bet that it has at least been considered & I think it's almost inevitable, though maybe not for many years. Or, could it even be part of their shorter term "spin off" plans?

Footnote: Michael Arndt, the head writer of Ep 7 has Pixar history. He wrote Toy Story 3 ;)

Thoughts?

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    There was a lot of that speculation when Disney bought Marvel, but it just hasn't come to fruition.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    True although Disney only bought Marvel in 2009. It hasn't come to fruition...yet. Personally, I think Star Wars lends itself more to the Pixar style than Marvel anyway

4. Cad Carnage

Cad Carnage Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I think it's a good possibility they will make some Pixar movies targeted at kids eventually, maybe after the ST and 5-10 live action spin-offs.

Though it's not my cup of tea personally, I think everyone should enjoy Star Wars. With the spin-off movies hopefully someday there will be something for everyone.

I will still watch at least once though, maybe I will have kids by that time that I can take to the movies.

5. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I'm for it.

6. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Yeah, the same question was brought up when Disney bought Marvel, and I believe the stance of Pixar was that they just wanted to do their own stories.

So Marvel Studios does it's own thing. Pixar does it's own thing. And Lucasfilm does it's own thing.

And Disney counts the money.

jedimikey, LunarMoth and LawJedi like this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, Pixar's really been doing its own thing lately. Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2, Planes.. I see why they wanted Star Wars.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Waddya mean "will"?

SithLordDarthRichie and cdgodin like this.
  9. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    My point is that there hasn't been any hints from within the company that Pixar might be interested. Pixar likes to stick with "original" stories. But there's certainly a ton of potential for Marvel or Lucasfilm properties. Besides, Lucasfilm Animation has spent 7 or so years building up their infrastructure, especially Lucas Animation Singapore. It would be counterintuitive for them to use Pixar's assets for anything other than creative input.

10. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wouldn't be surprised

11. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Feb 1, 2013
    I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but are you being critical of Pixar doing sequels, and then citing Star Wars 7 as something other... Or are you saying that since Pixar has done a couple of sequels, then it figures that Disney would want yet another movie sequel from one of the studios that it owns.

And not to nitpick, but Planes isn't being done by Pixar, and Pixar I believe does have three new properties in the works.

12. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Oy gevalt, I forgot that Finding Nemo 2 was actually a thing. :oops:

We really need to start calling this decade "Oughties: Part Deux."

13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

This does bring an interesting question regarding Lucasfilm Animation. Presumably, the division is safe for now, as they're working on at least 2 more seasons of Clone Wars, but after that? Will Disney sell, merge, or shut the division down? Disney already has several animation divisions (Pixar, Walt Disney Pictures, DisneyToon Studios, etc). On a related, will they do the same with LucasArts? LucasArts has been relatively quite the past few years, with a few slow release schedule. 1313 is, as far as we know, the only title they have in the pipeline. The brand itself still has value, obviously, so I could see Disney interested in keeping it around for that purpose, but who knows.

LawJedi likes this.
  14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I know. Critical? Not so much. But it's pretty obvious Disney= lots of sequels.

15. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Feb 1, 2013
    Well yeah, everybody does sequels now...

After Clone Wars I imagine they'll do something new for Disney XD. And if Bob Iger is to be believed, I think it's pretty much guaranteed they will. :cool:

And just like Marvel Animation does all of the Marvel animated projects, Lucasfilm Animation will do all of the Star Wars animated projects. So I don't see any selling, merging or shutting down of Lucasfilm Animation. Not as long as Disney owns Star Wars, at least. Which is probably forever.

16. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    No. Pixar isn't an animation department. They're storytellers through animation. And one of their Ten Commandments is to only produce original material/creations. John Lasseter, the spiritual heir to Walt Disney, would never allow Pixar to adapt a non-Pixar property. He could technically approve work to be done under Disney Animated, which has no such qualms, but there's no reason not to do it under the Lucasfilm banner.

17. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I'd say the OT era is great fodder for Pixar. How about a Pixar animated Shadows of the Empire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars is already a franchise aimed mostly at kids (with decapitations and hand severing) thanks to Jar-Jar, little Anakin, the horrible and pointless "cute" CGI animals dumped on the movies and The Clone Wars cartoon.
    The only way it can get more kid-friendly than that is if they will release movies for toddlers as well...

I don't think that Pixar will take over Star Wars. ILM is still alive and kicking. At most, the two will cooperate when making the new movies.
    And I think that the last thing we need with the Sequel Trilogy is for it to be even more kid- and family-friendly than the Prequel Trilogy and the cartoons.

19. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Aren't we forgetting the Ewoks from Return of the Jedi, the Holiday Special, the two horrific Ewoks TV movies, the Droids animated show or the Ewoks animated show? 'Childrenisation of Star Wars' hasn't begun with the prequels.

I also wouldn't call the original Star Wars film an adult tale either, just compare to the new Battlestar Galactica. Chewbacca and Yoda are also kinda cute. I think Star Wars films are tales for all ages. (Actually, the ongoing Clone Wars became like that too, it can be surprisingly dark, sometimes it's even offputting. o__O)

But I don't like Star Wars when it takes itself too seriously anyway, hence my disdain for the New Jedi Order series.

But that's just my opinion.:) I know a ton of people who prefer mature Star Wars.

20. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Yet the Ewoks were the only example of kid-friendly slapstick humor in the classic original OT. Up until the Special Editions.
    Diversity is good, if is it not overdone, like it is with today's Star Wars.
    Dark doesn't just mean that there is violence on screen. That is just cheap. The plot can be dark, the emotions can be deep and dark, the overall tone of the movie can be dark.

But when you're starting to watch the PT what do you get? Poo jokes, fart jokes, cute CGI animals and creatures that look anything but convincing and wooden acting, but that's besides the point...

It is a misconception that the OT was dark. No, it wasn't dark. It was just more serious.
    There is nothing wrong with humor in a serious movie to lift the tension for a while.

But I digress. Disney+Pixar doesn't mean that Star Wars will become even more kid-friendly, if that is even possible. Star Wars already bottomed out in that regard.
    ILM has a huge potential and so does Pixar. They are probably the most important special effects studios today. The two of them working together with today's technology? I can't even imagine how it could go wrong in terms of special effects. But if it does, then they have absolutely no excuse this time.

Vespasian likes this.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would not mind it but they would have Lucas Animations already doing that.

22. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Fair enough, you make a good point about the serious tone.

I love the prequels (apart from Attack of the Clones), because I grew up with them, for me Star Wars is the new 'diverse' Star Wars.

Anyhoo, I stick to my point about The Clone Wars, it's just not really kiddie anymore, not necessarily because of violance. So I have nothing against a Pixar one, but I don't think it will happen.:)

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  23. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    Yang chas Disney chone Pixar! Tung ko ro yay ha yaba hahs gee.......or something like that

24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I don't think it would look right in the films. It might fit in the spinoffs if it was done in Clone Wars style though.

25. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Animation would be the way to go if they choose to do movies about existing characters when they were younger or the same age as the movies, like the aforementioned Shadows of the Empire for example. I think a young Yoda film would be a fitting project for Pixar. It'd be cool to see the Star Wars universe hundreds of years before the saga, and an inexperienced Yoda allows for plenty of room for a character arc.